Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 04:23:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334701 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Ghost in the Shell (by Hollywood)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ghost in the Shell (by Hollywood)  (Read 174 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2014, 04:09:03 PM »

So rumour and say of a live-action Ghost in the Shell Hollywood movie has been going around a while; and finally more concrete details are out.

I personally believe this series makes so much sense to adapt because television is all about its crime dramas and a new sci-fi film (especially one that inspired the Wachowski's to do the Matrix) would be a fucking killer here.  At the very least, if done right, I think it could translate very well.

But here's the rub: An offer for "Matoko Kusanagi"*  went to Scarlett Johansson and the director is Ruper Sanders (who's last big thing was Snow White and the Huntsman).

...Personally, I'm more interested in what middle-aged hulk could play Batou....

* I assume this is an American adaption so that name's gonna get tossed; but feel free to bring up Hollywood's avoidance of Asian females for the titular role that's been causing some debate
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 04:12:41 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
glassjawsh
insolent cur

This tomb will be your grave

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »

Get the guy who did Hansel and Gretel:  Witch Hunters (Tommy Wirkola) attached to this, and it might turn out to be be something worth watching.  Otherwise...we'll probably end up with a 47 Ronin situation where there's a bunch of white people running around Tokyo pretending to be more Japanese than the for real Japanese people they spend 90 minutes totally killing the shit out of.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »

Get the guy who did Hansel and Gretel:  Witch Hunters (Tommy Wirkola) attached to this, and it might turn out to be be something worth watching.  Otherwise...we'll probably end up with a 47 Ronin situation where there's a bunch of white people running around Tokyo pretending to be more Japanese than the for real Japanese people they spend 90 minutes totally killing the shit out of.
H & G was awful, so I very much disagree with you. It wasn't even fun in a cheesy kind of way.

I like the potential of a GitS movie, and think Scarlett could actually work. We'll see.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 04:50:55 PM »

H & G was awful, so I very much disagree with you. It wasn't even fun in a cheesy kind of way.

I like the potential of a GitS movie, and think Scarlett could actually work. We'll see.

Agreed and agreed. I think Scarlett would make a good Motoko (though let's be honest, they'll probably Anglicize the name to Michelle or something like that). Unfortunately, I worry that she may be getting typecast as playing action/badass characters and people will see the preview and think, "Oh, Scarlett Johannson in another action movie. Pass."
glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 05:02:16 PM »

No no 1000 times no.  Exactly like I said with 47 Ronin and Keanu Reeves (or like how that shitty Tom Cruise movie Edge of Tomorrow ruined all you need is kill) attaching an A lister usually ends up warping brilliant source material to suit the actor, instead of finding an actor to suit the role. No good.

And, no joke, hansel and gretel is just about the best action movie I've ever seen not named Beverly Hills Cop.  I have no idea why people hate on it.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 09:09:18 PM »

No no 1000 times no.  Exactly like I said with 47 Ronin and Keanu Reeves (or like how that shitty Tom Cruise movie Edge of Tomorrow ruined all you need is kill) attaching an A lister usually ends up warping brilliant source material to suit the actor, instead of finding an actor to suit the role. No good.

And, no joke, hansel and gretel is just about the best action movie I've ever seen not named Beverly Hills Cop.  I have no idea why people hate on it.

I somehow bet you're wrong on Edge of Tomorrow as well, but I have yet to see it, so cannot say.
Using a well know actor is purely for marketing. Without one, a ghost movie simply won't make much money, quality be damned. You or I may not care about such things, but the general public is easily wooed by famous names.

This was my Hansel review from back when I saw it:
This was really bad. Pretty much right from the start. And not even in the "so bad, it's good" kind of way. It's like the people responsible couldn't make up their minds what they wanted to do with the concept, so they mixed it all together, and hoped that no one would notice how incoherent it was.
Considering how good he's been in other roles, it's almost painful watching Jeremy Renner in this. He has this look like he knows he's involved in something awful, but just had to see it through.
Gemma Arterton, who I don't recall seeing in other roles, is just ok, acting-wise. She's attractive, but in a more down to earth kind of way, which I liked.
The movie felt oddly forced into it's R rating. There's a lot of (bad) CG blood and guts, and some misplaced F bombs. I actually think it would have been better cut down to PG-13.
This could have been silly fun. I believe the concept(see title) could actually be done right. Too bad this turned out so far from it.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:29:05 PM »

Edge of Tomorrow is a lot of fun; nice to see a Japanese sci-fi story adapted pretty well.

It's basically Groundhog Day meets Tom Cruise

glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 12:15:31 AM »

I somehow bet you're wrong on Edge of Tomorrow as well, but I have yet to see it, so cannot say.
Using a well know actor is purely for marketing. Without one, a ghost movie simply won't make much money, quality be damned. You or I may not care about such things, but the general public is easily wooed by famous names.

This was really bad. Pretty much right from the start. And not even in the "so bad, it's good" kind of way. It's like the people responsible couldn't make up their minds what they wanted to do with the concept, so they mixed it all together, and hoped that no one would notice how incoherent it was.
Considering how good he's been in other roles, it's almost painful watching Jeremy Renner in this. He has this look like he knows he's involved in something awful, but just had to see it through.
Gemma Arterton, who I don't recall seeing in other roles, is just ok, acting-wise. She's attractive, but in a more down to earth kind of way, which I liked.
The movie felt oddly forced into it's R rating. There's a lot of (bad) CG blood and guts, and some misplaced F bombs. I actually think it would have been better cut down to PG-13.
This could have been silly fun. I believe the concept(see title) could actually be done right. Too bad this turned out so far from it.

So you didn't like it because angry faced Jeremy Renner spent most of the movie making angry faces?? It was stupid because it was supposed to be stupid. Its over the top on purpose and if you actually get the joke its awesome. in fact, Renner and Gemma Arterton (the female lead in clash of the titans) have both gone on record a bunch of times about how much fun making it was.I think you missed the boat on this one entirely. I bet you're the type that doesn't like evil dead either. 

Edge of Tomorrow was derivative shite. Lets take a troubled 18 year old Japanese boy and replace him with 50 year old Tom Cruise. Then lets make TC's ears ring a whole bunch and have him blink his eyes a lot. Because that'll totally sell to lazy people who don't read books. Also, lets replace all that pesky introspection with exploding gravel, America is too stupid to understand internal struggle anyway. How is taking a wonderfully gut wrenching ending and changing it so that (REDACTED) anything but a sappy and pandering cash grab? Uugh. also, Bill Paxton.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:25:15 AM by glassjawsh » Logged

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 12:56:38 AM »

TBF, I think Renner just has a naturally angry-ish resting face.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 03:27:03 AM »

...Personally, I'm more interested in what middle-aged hulk could play Batou...
Ron Perlman.

TASTY!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 07:37:58 AM »

I have very minimal belief that Hollywood could pull off something like Ghost in the Shell, but it might be interesting to see them try I guess.

...Personally, I'm more interested in what middle-aged hulk could play Batou...
Ron Perlman.
It is really easy for me to see him as Batou since his glasses in Pacific Rim look exactly like Batou's eyes (although they are the wrong color).
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »

So you didn't like it because angry faced Jeremy Renner spent most of the movie making angry faces?? It was stupid because it was supposed to be stupid. Its over the top on purpose and if you actually get the joke its awesome. in fact, Renner and Gemma Arterton (the female lead in clash of the titans) have both gone on record a bunch of times about how much fun making it was.I think you missed the boat on this one entirely. I bet you're the type that doesn't like evil dead either. 

Sorry, but now you're just being an insulting ass. Claiming that I didn't "get it" is condescending, and assumes you know things about me that you don't. Just because I didn't like a movie that you did doesn't mean that I'm simply too stupid to get it. My wife and I have been enjoying movies like this for years(Yes, I love the Evil Dead fliks), and both found that it simply didn't work the way they intended it to work. Most people I have talked to have agreed with me on this. I'm not going to insult you for being the outlier, though. Just like I wouldn't expect someone to insult me for liking Dracula Untold. Although, I admitted outright that it's not a good movie. I liked it despite that.
Can we get back to playing nice now?

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 12:23:33 AM »

I agree that they should have used someone other than Tom Cruise, but Edge of Tomorrow was a surprisingly good adaptation overall.

As for GITS, I can't stand Scarlett, so I'm not particularly enthused about this. Though I don't like Tom Cruise either and I liked Edge of Tomorrow.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 11:39:42 AM »

I agree that they should have used someone other than Tom Cruise, but Edge of Tomorrow was a surprisingly good adaptation overall.

As for GITS, I can't stand Scarlett, so I'm not particularly enthused about this. Though I don't like Tom Cruise either and I liked Edge of Tomorrow.

I hate Tom Cruise as a person, but I've loved a bunch of his movies.  Funny how that works.
 Plus he's marketable, so same thing as seeking out Scar Jo than an Asian actress I think Hollywood is just trying to make the most bang for its buck. 

glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »

Grim, my truck got stolen on Friday and since I'm emotionally retarded I decided to let otf steam by drinking an entire six pack of 10% beer and then yelling at random people on the Internet (about topics I'm vaguely familiar with).  Anonymity + alcohol + the Internet = Asshat.  Apologies, I'm the dick face here.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: