Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2015, 10:58:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
355512 Posts in 14449 Topics by 2260 Members
Latest Member: Kater
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] Print
Author Topic: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!  (Read 167898 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1605 on: May 04, 2015, 03:23:15 AM »

I love DS9.

Going back to TNG I've grown to love some of the "boring" episodes I didn't like when I was a kid. Episodes like the one where he lives the entire life of a man on a dying planet in the breadth of a second because an ancient probe scanned him. Or the now famous cult episode of Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.

Posers. My folks and I have always held the Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra episode as one of the better ones. Good enough to warrant reading The Epic of Gilgamesh for (and not because of Final Fantasy).

That said, my efforts to rewatch DS9 kinda fizzled out after about 2/3s of the way through the first season. And though part of it was due to the difficulty of finding an hour or so to myself to watch it, the first season is pretty long and boring and was definitely lacking the beard by that point.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1606 on: May 04, 2015, 09:53:14 AM »

The Inner Light and Darmok were always two episodes I really liked too. Though personally my favorite TNG episode was always The Drumhead.

My favorite episodes from DS9 are actually the more "traditional" Trek stories, including one from the first season (Duet and The Visitor). The story arc episodes were usually great too, and the heavily serialized ending was something they should've done with Voyager/Enterprise (well, the better option would've been to not make those shows at all).

In other news, I watched seasons 3 and 4 of Korra. I enjoyed them well enough, but I didn't like how underdeveloped the villains felt, they only would've needed a couple changes to make them a lot more sympathetic, as it was they weren't very interesting. Also this is probably a broken record, but the ending just felt like it was out of nowhere. There was maybe one scene before that in the entire series that implied something was going on, and claims that audiences are missing out on some kind of subtlety will not be taken seriously given how the show handles every other instance of romance.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1607 on: May 08, 2015, 05:18:34 PM »

I'm really into this Belgian series right now: Cordon. Watched episode 3 this week. It's about a deadly infectious disease that's quickly spreading and the government decides to wall of part of the city of Antwerp in hopes of containing it. Keeping it inside the cordon sanitaire is working (thus far) but things are starting to go horribly wrong within the make-shift walls. The show doesn't seem to be too afraid of killing people off without much ceremony, so whenever someone touches someone (that's how it spreads) it's really scary, because they could be infected and die, and I don't want them to die! Aside from the obvious drama I like that social media plays a role. People may be stuck inside of the cordon, but they're not fully cut off from the outside world. As much as the government tries the hide it, information is leaking out. Rapidly. Throw in some sensationalist reporting and it's not just the virus but also a nation wide panic spinning out of control.

The CW is actually working on an American remake, which will take place in Atlanta (uh, am I seeing a trend?). I wonder how it'll turn out.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1608 on: May 10, 2015, 02:47:18 AM »

I'm really into this Belgian series right now: Cordon. Watched episode 3 this week. It's about a deadly infectious disease that's quickly spreading and the government decides to wall of part of the city of Antwerp in hopes of containing it. Keeping it inside the cordon sanitaire is working (thus far) but things are starting to go horribly wrong within the make-shift walls. The show doesn't seem to be too afraid of killing people off without much ceremony, so whenever someone touches someone (that's how it spreads) it's really scary, because they could be infected and die, and I don't want them to die! Aside from the obvious drama I like that social media plays a role. People may be stuck inside of the cordon, but they're not fully cut off from the outside world. As much as the government tries the hide it, information is leaking out. Rapidly. Throw in some sensationalist reporting and it's not just the virus but also a nation wide panic spinning out of control.

The CW is actually working on an American remake, which will take place in Atlanta (uh, am I seeing a trend?). I wonder how it'll turn out.

That actually sounds really cool.  I wouldn't watching that.  Odd to say I like these sort of modern twists or examinations at modern media (Gone Girl doing well with the subject as well).
I kinda look forward to it coming over in that case.

Inside Amy Schumer this week was unreal good.  Amazing cameos doing a spoof of 12 Angry Men deciding if Any is "hot enough for cable television".  Brilliant from start to finish.

Orphan Black is back on; the show is fun but it's kind of aimless right now...  I think the 'thing' happened where the creator's are like "hey, we got kinda popular... maybe we should stretch this whole deal-y out a few seasons, huh?".

Outlander is back on... yaaaay!  Historical, romantic, time-travelling, family saga, war epic all in one!  Good times!

Also, any of you all watching Last Week Tonight w/ John Oliver?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1609 on: May 13, 2015, 01:42:05 AM »

I got to hand it to Agents of Shield. That's one hell of a way to cut off for the Summer. I'd give that episode a five out of five fingers. It had me with sweaty palms for the whole 2 hours. Let's give a round of applause for a solid season of Shield, and a pat on the back for Agent Carter. May they return in Fall/Winter with fists of fury.

Code:
:V

Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1610 on: May 13, 2015, 02:02:51 AM »

ok there are a ton of comic shows and i haven't seen a one.

what one should i watch?

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1611 on: May 13, 2015, 02:18:57 AM »

what one should i watch?

Adventures of Batman and Robin. :v

Honestly, I've been sticking with Marvel since AoS started slowly and they seem to be brining their A-Game to this (and even then I haven't really bothered with Daredevil yet, maybe now that everything's off for the Summer). I do know not to bother with Smallville though (it apparently took 10 years for a guy whom everyone knew could fly, to learn how to fly).

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1612 on: May 13, 2015, 06:10:20 PM »

Episode 4 of Cordon was... wow. Harrowing. That poor kid...

Okay, spoilers incoming:

Code:
You see, there's this dorky teenager, a chubby redhead who's first seen being bullied by his classmates.
He fights back and gets detention as a reward.
That's right before the area is isolated and as a result he's stuck in his school for the weekend, all alone.
He uses a school laptop te watch the news and eats candy bars he stole from a vending machine.
You figure his home is somewhere outside of the cordon, but in the third episode he's seen calling his dad, begging to be allowed to come home.
The scenes at home are short, but it's pretty obvious his dad is pre-occupied with his business (he's losing a lot of money because of the cordon) and his mom would rather worry about his sister.
During the first food distribution he can be seen in the background, no parents in sight.
They probably sent him out figuring he may already be infected.
During this episode, you first see him in a brief scene in which his parents are looking under the weather.
Later on, we're following the police officer who's stuck in the cordon again. He's on patrol.
We hear a girl ask him for help, desperately. Would he please come with her? It turns out to be the kid's sister.
The house is dark, except for the living room. There must be atleast a hundred candles there. The parents are laid where the coffee tables used to be. Dead.
The police officer sits down on the coach where both teens are sitting, overwhelmed.
"You did a good job. Where you careful?"
"He did it all by himself."
"I cut the back of their clothes open. I saw it on Six Feet Under."
"Will they be buried tomorrow?"
"Probably sooner. Tonight."
Not much later, a video shows up on the internet of police offers burning corpses in a back alley.

Poor kid. Now he and his sister are all alone. Sure, their neighbours are a nice elderly couple, but the last time we saw them they were hugging. They could be dead by now. (Please don't be dead, elderly couple!)

I didn't like this character much at first, because the actor seemed to be one of the more inexperienced ones (he's a real teenager, not a twenty-something pretending to be one), but he's growing into his role. This character is also very much the underdog. He may not have the cunning of one of the female tech expert or the strength of the police officer, but he's a good kid trying to do the right thing, despite everyone in his life having such low expectations of him. It's hard not to root for him. I hope he'll be okay, though that may be too much to hope for right now...

However, the real cliffhanger of this episode was communications related. Up until now 'the ghetto' and the outside world have been able to stay in contact thanks to cellphones and internet, but now the government seems to be deadset on killing communications by jamming cellphones and the like. They're hoping it'll quiet people down, but people have already pointed out this is highly unethical. It's pretty obvious the plan will have some side effects. Tech savvy people will probably find ways to circumvent it, and I'm sure people outside of the cordon won't be happy with the government censoring its own citizens and taking away the only thing that's keeping families and friends on both sides connected.

The idea of losing the means to communicate with the outside makes the cordon that much scarier. It feels like they're stripping away a layer of the victims' humanity. Even if it's all through tech, communicating with others is part of what makes us human and taking that away seems extremely cruel. The virus has already destroyed one way of communicating: touch. Now speech is going to follow and it's not because of a natural phenomenon but people taking it away deliberately.

Sorry for the long post. Despite Cordon airing late in the evening, I can't really bring myself to go to bed right after. Kinda have to let it sink it, maybe talk about it. It is/was also on the BBC with English subtitles and I bet those are floating around somewhere on the net, so if anyone's up for some Belgian drama/thriller and willing to fangirl with me, that'd be awesome. If it helps, you could pretend it's a prequel to Hatoful Boyfriend, or something.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Apathetically Awesome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1613 on: May 14, 2015, 10:05:12 AM »

Finished watching Wilfred (U.S. version). I'm kind of disappointed in the ending, but also okay with it. I wanted it all to be more than it was. To mean more, but the ending does make sense of things. Looking back, there were plenty of hints along the way. I will say the ending has been inspiring in the sense that I need to take a step back and relearn how to be happy with myself. The way I am. I know that sounds like some after school special self-help crap, but it's true... Been too hung up in feeling bitter and anxious about nothing lately.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1614 on: May 17, 2015, 01:11:31 PM »

what one should i watch?

Daredevil, easily.

If you want more after that, I just caught up with The Flash and I'd say it's overall pretty good. I say overall because the comic book stuff is pretty great and it has a amazing antagonist.

Buuut whenever Iris shows up on screen prepare for CW forced drama and misunderstandings.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1615 on: May 17, 2015, 05:22:44 PM »

Buuut whenever Iris shows up on screen prepare for CW forced drama and misunderstandings.

I laughed. xD
The saving grace of those scenes is at least she's pretty to look at while Barry sorta 'hams his way' through the dialogue in a tone stuck between sincere, brooding, and whatever the hell puppy-love sounds like.

DareDevil was pretty good up till the conclusion, still I look forward to the new season a lot.
Code:
Honestly, the fact Foggy was so "hurt" by Matt Murdock being the DAREDEVIL felt so forced --- and I hate that "make the superhero into a tabloid villain" angle that barely ever makes sense...

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1616 on: May 18, 2015, 10:05:17 PM »

I started the first ep of Daredevil and it seemed cool, I'll stick with that. I like the actor.

This season of Game of Thrones has been really hit or miss. A big ole miss is the casting for the Sand Snakes.... what a really annoying bunch of women. Brienne of Tarth was beautifully cast because she looks like a fighter. With the Sand Snakes they basically got cute little girls from a Maxim photo shoot.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1617 on: May 19, 2015, 11:26:33 PM »

Season finale of the flash...

Wow...

Man tears...

TWICE IN THE SAME EPISODE!

TASTY!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1618 on: May 20, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »

Oh shit, just watched episode 5 of Cordon and a main character just died. Did not expect that one to go first. The series didn't give me much time to process it either, just like the person who watched them die. There was no big scene -- just a struggle, a gunshot and that was it. Shit, this series is more ruthless than Game of Thrones. Fortunately, the sweet old people are still alive, but I'm getting serious When the Wind Blows flashbacks here.

Is it me, or do modern television series just love to depress the hell out of the viewers?
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1619 on: May 21, 2015, 06:49:09 AM »

Watched season finale of Agents of Shield last night. Excellent end to an excellent season. The sting at the end of the episode was just mean. Also I really have to wonder how the events of this season are going to impact the Inhumans movie.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: