Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2016, 08:52:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
244180 Posts in 7306 Topics by 2386 Members
Latest Member: Richard111
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print
Author Topic: The NEW New Star Wars [s]Trilogy[/s] Thread  (Read 6544 times)
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2016, 02:56:48 PM »

Thing is, with something magical in fiction like The Force, it's not too hard for anyone to come up with some way to reason out of pretty much anything that makes no sense (They don't just fly the ring to Mordor because reasons etc). So generally when I have a problem with it, it's more to do with how it's handled structurally (plot-wise etc), visually, etc.

The same people complaining about all this nonsense would have just as terrible an attitude about about the OT if it was coming out now.

I'll agree that nerds are insatiable and they'll find something to complain about no matter how good the movie is, but that doesn't make what you're saying any less of an exhaustive hand-wave to basically any criticism of the film.

I don't mind that you guys liked the movie more than I did, and I like reading about how you guys reason it out- otherwise I wouldn't post at all.

Ok, I'll cop to that.  I think I'm probably overreacting in a positive direction in a foolish attempt to counterbalance the overreactions in a negative direction.  The film's not perfect, but good lord is it a ton of fun.  And yeah, I'll defend that all day long, especially when the flaws are such minor little things.

Current RPG - Stardew Valley.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2016, 10:48:37 PM »

btw Kylo Ren makes me super uncomfortable. It's like, he's not really some traditionally evil dude, just some super-entitled douchebag with too much power that flies off into fits of rage at the drop of a hat.

Maybe it's because traditionally larger-than-life villain chaps ain't actually real anywhere but entitled douchey rageoholics are.

I think we all had that one college roommate that we worried would kill us in our sleep and he probably did a few times even. This is Rylo Ken.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2016, 02:38:37 AM »

btw Kylo Ren makes me super uncomfortable. It's like, he's not really some traditionally evil dude, just some super-entitled douchebag with too much power that flies off into fits of rage at the drop of a hat.

Maybe it's because traditionally larger-than-life villain chaps ain't actually real anywhere but entitled douchey rageoholics are.

I think we all had that one college roommate that we worried would kill us in our sleep and he probably did a few times even. This is Rylo Ken.

I'm hoping that they are going for a build up on him, since the world really doesn't need another Sasuke Uchiha (or whatever spelling that Naruto douchebag uses).

Unfortunately, most of the villains came off in a similar way, which really doesn't bode terribly well.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
EmeraldSword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2016, 04:24:04 PM »

Chloe Bruce: Daisy Ridley's stunt double
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPVnRMhGNXI

Sweet Jesus. I don't if this has already been posted, but this chick is crazy good with the staff. Nice kicks as well. She needs to selected for the upcoming Power Rangers motion picture adaption.

Formerly OG, OrsonFury. Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright. Looking forward to Grand Kingdom and Star Ocean 5.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2016, 04:41:27 PM »

Maybe Rey will turn into a staff lightsaber user like Darth Maul!
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2016, 04:44:40 PM »

That would be SWEET!

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2016, 04:49:09 PM »

And it would make sense given her existing familiarity with a staff as a weapon. Her stunt double being an expert with the staff just makes it even more awesome.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2016, 09:39:56 PM »

My summation of 99% of critical opinion on the prequels: lol teh prekwelz suk teh originalz rool jorj looks raypt my chyldhud amirite?

Seriously, the originals aren't that fucking perfect, either, and the entire original trilogy itself could have been resolved if the Imperials just fucking vaporized the escape pod with Threepio and Artoo instead of idiotically thinking it was empty. All the original films are fucking full of plot holes, and there is "bad" dialogue like "Why you stuck-up half-witted scruffy-looking nerf herder." Hell, even Mark Hamill complained that the dialogue was bad during the making of Empire.

Andrew
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »

Nostalgia.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2016, 01:49:19 AM »

That would be SWEET!

And ridiculous as a Staff is a completely different weapon type that requires a different fighting style compared to that double-ended Lightsaber (since one can be held all wilily-nilly and not sear your fingers/hands off, whereas the other can't).

Or put in a different way, Reigh's actress/stunt double didn't need to invent an entirely new fighting style just for the role like Darth Maul's actor had to (because seriously, its like trying to fight with a kayak paddle except the paddle parts are hot SFX death).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2016, 12:39:45 PM »

That would be SWEET!

And ridiculous as a Staff is a completely different weapon type that requires a different fighting style compared to that double-ended Lightsaber (since one can be held all wilily-nilly and not sear your fingers/hands off, whereas the other can't).

Or put in a different way, Reigh's actress/stunt double didn't need to invent an entirely new fighting style just for the role like Darth Maul's actor had to (because seriously, its like trying to fight with a kayak paddle except the paddle parts are hot SFX death).

This is making me wonder how a TRUE "lightstaff", not a double-bladed lightsaber, would work.  It would have to be similar to a double-bladed saber, but... perhaps have the blades turn on and off as needed?  Heck, it could even telescope open in the middle to reveal more blade "inside".  I think it could work!

Or maybe I'm being dumb.  I don't know.  It could be a cool weapon!

glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »

remember, it doesn't need to be practical or make any sort of logical sense if the force is involved...

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2016, 02:45:15 PM »

remember, it doesn't need to be practical or make any sort of logical sense if the force is involved...

Didn't Michio Kaku already prove that "traditional" lightsabers were already impractical and made no logical sense to begin with?

Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

Lanterne Rouge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2016, 05:30:31 PM »

Gunblade lightsaber!  How about that?

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: