Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:12:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334825 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Doctor Who
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 9727 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »

Watched the Christmas special a few days ago and forgot to post my thoughts. I loved it. I loved just about every continuity call back. I found it a very nice way to wrap things up with Smith. Plus I loved how they handled the origins of the Silence Sect. I give it an A-.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2014, 11:50:26 PM »

Just watched the first two episodes of the 2005 series! 
JUMPING ON THE BANDWAGON!

Love the effects. ;)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2014, 04:52:13 PM »

Welcome aboard!  Some folks actually joked that the new series wasn't as good as the old one because it has good effects. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »

Yes, welcome and enjoy. You might want to jump off the train before this past season, though. Or just stick with it, and hope for the best, like most of us.

My son is watching Doctor Who now as well. He started with Matt Smiths first season. He just finished the last episode of that season. He was confused, which is not surprising.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2014, 01:40:47 AM »

I think I'm near the end of the 2nd Season.

I liked Christopher's version of the Doctor.  Very snarky and obnoxious (then again, that might be something they all share).  David is a lot more fun though (he's also oddly "adorable" for a 35+ year old too...?)

Rose is supposed to be hot.  She has it.... then she doesn't.  It took me two seasons to realize why: She's got a bit of ape-mouth going on -- her mouth is huge.  Ah well, still pretty.  I do like the relationship she has with the doctor; a kind of strange mix of being "more than friends and less than lovers" sums it up I think (and I look forward to seeing how well new companions work). 
Oh, I also like Billie Piper's first gig as a late 90s Pop icon

Otherwise I think the non-invincible/magical doctor and his human companion are a great mix.  I love that the doctor isn't particularly "magical" despite his rather grandiose sounding title of Time Lord.  His life span, intellect, general altruism, Sonic Screwdriver and super-changing-document-thing (that transforms) does the job while his human companion makes things a bit more interesting.

Rose's mum is a wonderful tart.  And I did like Mickey.  His comings and goings were effectively played each time Rose and the Doctor came back to town.  Captain Jack was also in a league of his own, despite how short-lived it was (anyone here watch Torchwood?).

My favorite episodes are usually the more "out there" ones (literally and figuratively).  However, this usually means that the episodes that take place in the present are kinda "eh".  The World War 3 plot and the farting aliens were just stupid...And then there's the Cyber Men and the Dalek.  I get that they're a reference to the old show... but MAAAANN DO THEY HAVE TO TALK LIKE THAT??  For ultra-intelligent aliens, they seem to have less of a grasp on the English language than foreigners do.
EX-TERMINATE
EX-TERMINATE
EX-TERMINATE
EX-TERMINATE
DESTROY.
The Cybermen aren't much better.  They're kind of just...there... as a threat...because they're slow/angry robots.  That's about it.

I enjoyed following the two-episode story where they visit the Planet beside a black hole... then the Doctor finds "Satan".  I keep imagining the pitch meeting for that.  "Hey, how about the Doctor meets Satan!!!", then the boardroom has a laugh, then they immediately started writing a script.

Anyways.  Despite the occasional cheesy effect or ham in the plot; I see what all the hub-bub is about.  More to come I guess

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2014, 01:57:55 AM »

Yeah, there are good episodes and stupid ones. :)  You're far from alone in thinking that the farting aliens are among the latter. I also like Mickey, and I like that Rose is hot but not a little waif.  Even if she does have a giant mouth.  Because she totally does, but is still hot.

I've watched most of Torchwood, but not all - I picked up the last season just tonight.  It's been long enough that I think I'll have to go back and watch other seasons before I watch it.  It's a pretty different series, and I don't like it as much as Doctor Who, but I do like it.  I feel like it's sometimes that show that's all "ooh, look how dark and edgy we are!"

I also enjoyed the Sarah Jane Adventures series, even though it's definitely aimed more at kids.  If you run out of other Doctor Who-related stuff and are looking for more, it's worth checking out.

And finally, curse you for getting that song stuck in my head again!!!!

—Kurt Vonnegut
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2014, 02:23:25 AM »

I can't wait until she gets to "Blink".

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2014, 06:52:54 AM »

Rose's mum is a wonderful tart.  And I did like Mickey.  His comings and goings were effectively played each time Rose and the Doctor came back to town.  Captain Jack was also in a league of his own, despite how short-lived it was (anyone here watch Torchwood?).
Watched it, really would not recommend watching it. I mean sure Captain Jack is freaking awesome no matter where he is, but the series is just not worth it overall.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »

Agreed on much of what you say, Dice. There are amazing episodes, and then there's the just plain stupid ones.
The Exterminate!!! from the Daleks has never bothered me, because I knew about that going in.
The Cybermen suck, though, and end up way overused.
I'm with John on Rose. Exactly.
Mickey annoyed the hell out of me at first, but grew on me.

I've never watched Torchwood, and have been meaning to start. I hear the last season is pretty awful, though.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »

Just watch Children of Earth, that was the only season I really enjoyed of Torchwood.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »

I hear "Blink" is like that episode that's in most people's "Top 10".  Can't wait!!

I'm kinda torn what to do with Torchwood, but there's too much to watch.  I should just move to the Uk and make a lot of my TV viewing easier.

Anyways, I like how Rose's chapter as a companion concluded.  It was well handled but I find the Doctor's morning period...dubious, at best (can't blame him when your main job in life is going around the galaxy).  But well done.  With Rose, Donna, and Martha: Are all companions female?  I'd complain, but I don't know if it'd be as fun if they kept it to two fellas (Supernatural does that and does it well!).

For some reason I keep drifting into an "American version" of Doctor Who, and all I can imagine is the main guy faking a Canadian accent (cuz he's from "The North").

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2014, 08:20:47 PM »

In Old Who he has had a fair few male companions. In New Who, only one. Rory.

Donna is the best though.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2014, 08:38:25 PM »

In Old Who he has had a fair few male companions. In New Who, only one. Rory.

Donna is the best though.

I didn't like her at first, but she ended up pretty awesome. I still prefer Amy, though, purely for aesthetic reasons. She's the reason I started watching the show! Shallow as hell, isn't it?

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2014, 09:24:52 PM »

I like Donna because she never crushes on the Doctor.  They're friends, and that's all she wants.  And he needs her around to call him on his crap.

Rory may be my favorite companion.  Spoiler coded for Dice's sake:
Code:
He's truly the boy who waited.  And he's the only other one who knows what it's like to live for thousands of years like the Doctor does.

I don't actually dislike any of them, though.

Children of Earth has its good and bad points, but it's definitely noteworthy for featuring future Doctor Peter Capaldi in a big role.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2014, 07:08:28 AM »

My ranking for companions from best to worst:

The Last Centurion
Donna
Captain Jack
Mickey
Amy
Clara
Rose
Martha

I feel like I am missing someone because there is a lot of space between my feelings for Clara and Rose. If River was a proper companion I'd probably put her above Amy. Huh and looking at list, I seem to like characters who are attracted to the Doctor less.....well minus Captain Jack, but he loves everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: