Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 02:02:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327935 Posts in 13427 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Doctor Who
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 6179 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »

I feel the exact opposite about Tom's era. It started strong, then Tom got saddled with terrible companions.

Leela is completely one dimensional, never grows or changes and is saddled with a terrible exit.

Romana I is good and I like the Key to Time season. Then it all turns to crap.

Romana II is a little snot that completely rubs me the wrong way and season 17 is easily Tom's worst season - excluding City of Death of course.

When John Nathan Turner came in and ditched the humour for a harder sci fi edge, it really felt like a breath of fresh air.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2013, 06:55:18 AM »

There's a theory going round that
Code:
the Doctor has absorbed all the regenerations of other Tlme Lords, making him basically immortal

New mini up - http://vimeo.com/79883993

Not nearly as interesting as the last one.
Video was taken down, but you can get the video off of iTunes for free.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »

Here you go

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17f1y0_50th-mini-epsode-the-last-day_shortfilms?start=5

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 11:45:34 AM »

I went there to watch that yesterday and ended up watching all of the retrospectives about the Doctors.  At least I stopped myself from watching the other stuff like The Science of Doctor Who.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2013, 04:18:01 PM »

Yay - I saw it and don't have to worry about spoilers now!

I enjoyed it, but I do have questions.

Code:
1) What does this mean for the daleks?  Were they sealed away along with Gallifrey? If so, wouldn't releasing Gallifrey release them too?

2) When did things change so that The Doctor killed everyone?  They've talked about it before as being time-locked and sealed away.  It was a major plot point in The End of Time (the one where The Master comes back and Tennant regenerates into Smith).

—Kurt Vonnegut
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »

I really enjoyed that special.

As for your questions
Code:
No idea what it means for the Daleks. I'm sure they'll address that for the future.

He had always killed everyone. He wiped the Daleks and Time Lords out all at once.

The entire war - including the event where he killed everyone - was supposed to be locked away.

Now it looks like things have been changed, and for the better I think.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »

I was wondering the exact same things as you guys. I like it quite a bit, especially all the exchanges between the Doctors. John Hurt was awesome.
Code:
I just love how he kept calling the others out on their silliness. Like with the Sonic Screwdriver, and how they talk.
I, too, thought the Time war was locked. What happened yesterday changes everything. Suddenly, we're not dealing with this haunted man whose done all these horrible things. Well, we ARE, but just not the biggest one. I actually didn't think it would happen. I figured the show would end with the bomb (or whatever it was) going off, anyway, because it couldn't be changed. I was shocked when time WAS changed. I'm not sure how this will play out in future episodes.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2013, 12:23:35 PM »

Well, the good news is that
Code:
it wasn't really changed.  They just didn't remember it right, and assumed that they had taken the planned course of action, which seemed to be the only one available at the time.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2013, 08:02:53 PM »

Yeah I was pretty happy with how things turned out.

I utterly hated
Code:
Tennant's last story, because the Time Lords were such ridiculously cartoony villains. Now this might give them a chance to be redeemed

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »

The episode was partially hit and partially miss for me. Basically I liked the Time War stuff, but the Zygon stuff fell flat. I'm also not sure what to think about the fact that they just ignored the whole Ascension plan thing. On one hand, that was really realluy stupid. On the other hand I feel like this makes the continuity all kinds of messed up.

Side note: What the heck was up with the curator?
Code:
Was he supposed to be the future of the Doctor? Is there supposed to be an implication that he is able to change into aged versions of his past incarnations when he retires? Or was it just a crazy old man?

Yay - I saw it and don't have to worry about spoilers now!

I enjoyed it, but I do have questions.

Code:
1) What does this mean for the daleks?  Were they sealed away along with Gallifrey? If so, wouldn't releasing Gallifrey release them too?

2) When did things change so that The Doctor killed everyone?  They've talked about it before as being time-locked and sealed away.  It was a major plot point in The End of Time (the one where The Master comes back and Tennant regenerates into Smith).

Code:
1. The only thing sealed away was the planet, the Daleks that were encircling the planet killed each other as the planet they were shooting at vanished. Now in theory there might be some Daleks on the planet, but we can hand wave those away as being killed whenever the planet is brought back because they won't have an orbital support fleet dividing the Time Lord's attention.

2. It is the same as the Doctor's "death" being time locked. The events always play out exactly the same, and no amount of time travel can change it. However, the perception of events from an outside perspective are not quite what actually happened. The 10th and 11th (wait are we renumbering them now?...w/e) express confusion at their ability to be there because it is time locked. However thy are able to be there because they were always there at that point in time, just like the drum beat was able to escape because it had always escaped. Mind you, I have some serious issues with the concept of a time lock, but no one needs to listen to that tirade of mine.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »

I think they intentionally left the curator pretty fuzzy, and I'm actually OK with that.

Future rumor spoilers, but minimal to answer a question:
Code:
If what I've seen elsewhere today is true (and there are as many reasons to think it's not as there are reasons to think that it is), the question of numbering will be a plot point in the Christmas episode.

More detailed followup:
Code:
The rumor is that they will be declaring that Smith is the 13th incarnation of The Doctor, which is why he's supposedly buried at Trenzalore.  The numbering would be 1-8 as traditional, then Hurt is 9, Eccleston is 10, Tennant is both 11 and 12, because of the time he regenerated into himself using his severed hand to stay as the same guy, and thus, Smith is 13.  Clearly, if this is correct, they'd be somehow either announcing that he gets another 13, or that he gets all the regenerations he wants or something, since we already know that he regenerates into Capaldi during the Christmas special.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2013, 02:05:28 AM »

I've heard that too, but nothing is confirmed. It'll be interesting if true.
Supposedly, next year will be about
Code:
trying to figure out why he regenerated when he thought he was going to die

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2013, 11:24:26 AM »

Here's a good list of Easter Eggs from the special.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/paulaersly/greatest-easter-eggs-from-the-doctor-who-50th-anniver

—Kurt Vonnegut
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, an "I didn't make these" production:

Cards Against Gallifrey

(Captain Pedantic says "To be consistent with the original, it should be called "Cards Against Time Lords," or "Cards against Gallifreyans.")

—Kurt Vonnegut
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »

50th anniversary spoilers (don't know if I need to mark those still):

Code:
Moffat has confirmed that Matt Smith is still, canonically speaking, the 11th Doctor. http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/8684-doctor-who-exec-confirms-numbering-matt-smith-is-the-11th-doctor

—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: