Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 94473 times)

Lard

• View Profile
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2014, 11:53:16 PM »
Wow, you are sure forgiving of this season. I thought this past episode was pretty weak. I'm really getting tired of how the current Doctor is written. He's far too mean, and apparently clueless about humans, despite interacting with them for many many years. What's the deal with calling Pink a P.E. teacher over and over again? Why is this not explained? And why is he so anti-soldier?

I like how Capaldi's doctor is written - it's actually a nice change from the last two.

It's funny, I don't remember people complaining about Eccleston's doctor being too grumpy.

I will grant that last week's episode sucked - and sucked hard.

I don't get the anti-soldier thing either, given his past with UNIT, but many people suspect it's due to the Time War.

That said, the buzz on the coming episode is positive all around. I've read a few spoiler-free reviews and they've all been universally positive.

Lots of people saying this might be even better than Listen (which I thought was only soso, so we'll see).

I hope you guys like
Code: [Select]
SPIDERS
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2014, 03:43:43 AM »
That said, the buzz on the coming episode is positive all around. I've read a few spoiler-free reviews and they've all been universally positive.

Lots of people saying this might be even better than Listen (which I thought was only soso, so we'll see).

I hope you guys like
SPIDERS

Brilliant premise tonight.  But like last week's possible 'racism' undertone, this one may delivery a stronger 'pro-life/choice' one.
I think it's misdirected, sure it was there, but I liked the greater implications in this episode and to get some idea of when/why the Doctor meddles with history and when he doesn't. And this time, despite his power (and possible ability to abuse that power) he just flew off to let others find out what was the right or wrong choice.... where the 'right' choice was figured out ONLY on a last-second final impulse.

I think this episode was a lot like "Midnight" in a way. Some episodes have a cool plot; but some just want to set up an interesting scenario. Midnight had next to no real plot, or real action, or a big mystery, or big evil villain; but more of an experiment on 'mob mentality' played to an episode and it turned out very, very well. "Kill the Moon" sets up a conundrum for our Doctor's meddling and asks "field trippers" to decide history.

Anyways, I actually, even if not always agree with that Flick filosopher website you posted Grim.  I love how reviewers can make "those observations" that tickle the bak of your mind but you never arrange into words.  Good writing too
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
  • OK, options aren't SO bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »

I hope you guys like
SPIDERS

Brilliant premise tonight.  But like last week's possible 'racism' undertone, this one may delivery a stronger 'pro-life/choice' one.
I think it's misdirected, sure it was there, but I liked the greater implications in this episode and to get some idea of when/why the Doctor meddles with history and when he doesn't. And this time, despite his power (and possible ability to abuse that power) he just flew off to let others find out what was the right or wrong choice.... where the 'right' choice was figured out ONLY on a last-second final impulse.

I think this episode was a lot like "Midnight" in a way. Some episodes have a cool plot; but some just want to set up an interesting scenario. Midnight had next to no real plot, or real action, or a big mystery, or big evil villain; but more of an experiment on 'mob mentality' played to an episode and it turned out very, very well. "Kill the Moon" sets up a conundrum for our Doctor's meddling and asks "field trippers" to decide history.

Anyways, I actually, even if not always agree with that Flick filosopher website you posted Grim.  I love how reviewers can make "those observations" that tickle the bak of your mind but you never arrange into words.  Good writing too

I always anticipate her reviews. She normally has them up by Sunday night. She sees things that I just don't see, and I like that.
I thought Kill The Moon was decent. Great premise, certainly, but the ending just kind of left me feeling "blah". Well, of the story, anyway.
Claras final words, as bad ass as they were, felt out of the place in this season. It was long overdue, and very well said, but like something out of the Tennant era, if you know what I mean. Emotions haven't played much part in this season as of yet, and I don't see that changing.
Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2014, 02:14:04 PM »
I really, really don't get the outcry over the science of KRM.

So people have a problem with this episode - but not with the Tardis dragging the Earth back into its place in the solar system with absolutely no damage to anyone or anything on the planet?

People are ridonkulous sometimes.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2014, 12:24:50 AM »
Holy shit this has been a great run of episodes.

I thought Flatline looked terrible from last week's preview and it might be my favourite episode of the new season.

I can't believe how good this season, and Capaldi, are.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »
Holy shit this has been a great run of episodes.

I thought Flatline looked terrible from last week's preview and it might be my favourite episode of the new season.

I can't believe how good this season, and Capaldi, are.

Yeah I thought it was cool how they made sense of their monster; it was very unique, probably the most so since the Angels (but I might be forgetting something).

Clara's contentious relationship with the Doctor has only made her more interesting, and Capaldi's inability to play nice makes him a nice departure from the previous Doctors.

Two-dis!!!!!!

EDIT: Probably the only thing bugging me now is the Heaven plot.  It's getting way too little attention, is high too speculative, and I'm worried/thinking it won't pay off.... and I won't care.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:53:07 AM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2014, 08:53:11 PM »
I'm the complete opposite of Lard. I think this season has been incredibly mediocre so far. There hasn't been a single stand out episode yet.
I like Capaldi as the Doctor. It's the things they make him say that I'm not enjoying.
Last nights episode was just ok. I wish they would stop treating Danny Pink like he's an idiot, though. The whole Clara/Pink relationship subplot has gone nowhere.
I agree with Dice about the mystery lady/mystery place. It feels way too detached from everything else going on. I'm sure we'll get some halfhazard explanation for it in the end, but that won't make up for what we've seen already.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2014, 04:20:44 PM »
I just find it incredibly weird you would say that because this season seems like they're really trying to experiment and be creative.

(Except the Dalek episode, but it was still fairly good)

I'm curious how you guys will like today's episode.

I liked it overall.

I thought the resolution was clever and actually made sense, as well as Danny's actions.

It may have been a "kid friendly" episode but it didn't seem dumbed down.

And man.....that finale looks amazing.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2014, 04:42:07 PM »
I thought it was the worst episode I've seen in a long time. :P

I don't know how you could find it good, really. :P

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2014, 06:57:36 PM »
What was wrong with it exactly?

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2014, 07:30:28 PM »
Lots of things.

I'll put it in spoiler tags.

The ham fisted anti-deforestation plot. Nearly as bad at the anti-abortion episode.

Why did the tree fairies need the little girl to speak through? Why torment her with visions. Did they abduct her sister, or did they just return her from elsewhere? The subplot with her sister makes no sense.

The governments top-notch plan to take care of the forest problem was to BURN IT DOWN? The entire planet is now a forest and your bright idea is to start a forest fire? In the middle of London? Though the entire population of London seems to have disapeared any way, so it doesn't matter.

Clara seems like the worst teacher ever. Not only does she tell people in her special needs class that they have no imagination, she also allows for overt bullying of the other students.

No body needed to be there! Absolutely no intervention was nessecarry. If the Doctor didn't just so happen to land on that day, He probably never would have known.

How would everyone on Earth "forget" the time it was completely covered in a dense forest? It's not like you can miss it. And this is the Imformation Age, it will have been recorded a million times over.

Clara made absolutely no sense in this episode. Her characterization is all over the place this season. Was she seriously going to let a group of innocent school kids to be burned to death for no other reason than that they would miss their mums and dads? Isn't her incredibly annoying boyfriend Danny an orphan? How would he feel about her saying that?

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2014, 11:57:05 PM »
Only a few episodes from this season I've enjoyed so far. I just... I don't like the story or the script. I'm not a big fan of Clara either. It's bumming me out because I really want to enjoy it. I'm just... not.

Maybe it's just because I loved Tennant/Piper so much, I've struggled to adjust. I wasn't a fan of Matt Smith.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:58:54 PM by FlamingR1ft »

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2014, 01:10:53 AM »
I sorta liked it.  The episode was much too long for what it was
where effectively the situation was to do nothing and let it sort itself out....for 40 minutes
But the script had some good ideas, the cinematography was actually *really* excellent, the use of characters (specficailly who commanded each scene kept changing), the developing themes and characters felt meaningful enough (but still no closer to that silly finale/heaven shite) and the shenanigans with the kids was a fun change of pace to pit against the grumpy Doctor.  Basically, I think it suffered (and really suffered) from some half-baked ideas and one of the worst B-plots ever (the hydrangeas thing...whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.).  This episode was not really about anything, and more of an excuse to have some fun with other things I guess...  Bah.  Nothing was lost or gained by this episode --- it's certainly a strange one.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2014, 11:01:03 AM »
The script did have some good ideas.

The only part I can see real complaints about was the sister subplot, which I agree didn't really make sense.

It was at least interesting. The show feels completely different from the soap infused trash we got from RTD.

This feels more like the original show, and I think some people just can't get over it.

The amount of ridiculous hyperbole I've seen over this episode makes me think half the people don't even watch it.

Edit - I'm not specifically talking about anyone here, just so there's no misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:58:52 PM by Lard »

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2014, 10:58:38 PM »
I missed last nights episode due to being out with my wife. I'll try and find a way to watch it tomorrow night and report back.