Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 94458 times)

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
  • OK, options aren't SO bad
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2014, 10:57:44 PM »
Total agreement with Star and Dice. This episode was just "blah". Nothing really happened. I'm a total tree hugger, but still found the whole "trees are great" business a bit over the top.
Her sisters name was Annabelle? Really? That's a type of Hydrangea, in case anyone didn't know that. A white one, though. The one shown was purple or blue. That little side story was pointless.
The Clara/Danny relationship keeps getting  worse and worse.
Can we see the dark haired lady slowly killed in the last episode? Or at least roughed up a bit? That might make the whole season worth while.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2014, 12:33:14 AM »
*NOW* are you guys happy?
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2014, 06:37:13 PM »

I don't know, on one hand I saw a good episode of doctor who.

On the other hand I just had a huge argument with my penis.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2014, 06:41:23 PM »

Because disliking one episode makes me somehow hard to please? :P

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2014, 08:28:37 PM »
Malcome #$%^&^ Tucker reference????!!!  That was meta....

Definitely another good ep.
Code: [Select]
One minor beef is that a moment as big as Danny's death felt more like a plot device that any Who episode intro might use than an actual pivotal moment vital to Clara's character.  Why did he keep just syaing 'I love you' to Clara than answer her question???  Seemed kinda silly (I wasn't a bit distracted watching the episode, so I might have missed some details)
I liked it and can't wait for the next episode.  The plot was intriguing and the ideas were as whack as ever.  I do feel that using Daleks and Cybermen feel like....a plot adjunct that starts writing itself, but the idea for "dark water" was a clever twist.

The Missy reveal was very good; which is awesome because the heaven stuff was really lackluster to watch during the season and provided little context and entertainment for people to theorize anything fancy.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2014, 10:54:09 PM »
You act like I actively WANT to dislike the show. In past seasons I've enjoyed far more than I've disliked.
To answer your question, NO, I thought this ep. was pretty bad. It was just so all over the place and inconsistent. And the whole second half depends on an act that could not have been planned for, making it ridiculous.
Dice calls it minor. I disagree.
Clara acting the way she was with the Doctors keys was just so bizarre, and out of character. It felt like we missed an episode or ten building up to this.
This whole heaven and hell thing as a cover for a plan by The Master bring back the Cybermen is just so damn WTF.
And why would the Doctor even decide to go to Hell anyway? Wouldn't he just go back in the time stream to save Danny? Why attempt to go someplace that he wouldn't even believe exists? I can't even see Clara buying into that. Plus, Danny being the great guy that he is, would be in Heaven, no? At least according to Clara and Doc, who don't know what he'd done in the Army.
This whole ep just drove me nuts, and not in a good way.
Once again, MAJ writes a great review, although she nit picks more than what I would.
The Master being female didn't even click as an issue with me. http://www.flickfilosopher.com/2014/11/doctor-blogging-dark-water.html

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2014, 11:09:48 PM »
I started reading her review and closed it as soon as it turned into a "Moffat is teh sexist!"

It's beyond a dead horse a this point.

I just don't understand how you can look at the camp crap of Tennant's run with things like Donna becoming a *massive* deus ex machina vs. the serious tone and more grounded (overall) feel of this series. I just do not get it.

It took them 9 years but they finally got Doctor Who right.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2014, 11:29:20 PM »
I think there was a build up Grim to the event. It's just that Danny and Clara have no chemistry at all so no one cared or believed it. :P

As for...

Going back in time to save Danny. The show has established that it isn't possible in the episode "Fathers Day" in the first series with Rose. She tried to save her dad from being killed by a car (I don't think Danny dying in a traffic accident was a coincidence to this fact) and then the weird time eating bat things appeared and started to dismantle reality.

The Doctor really has had some bullshit excuses for why he can't just go back in time, but I think Danny's death is so familiar to Rose's dads death because we are [i]supposed[/i] to compare the two and accept that this isn't something he can just change.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 11:33:03 PM by Starmongoose »

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 03, 2014, 12:09:17 AM »
Oddly, I have less issue with the Danny death mainly because this series as a "time travelling series" is pretty much set aside in the name of good entertainment and a sometimes contrived idea of what can and can't go (or, as Mongoosey said, some "bullshit reasoning").  I definitely think it'd be a bigger impact to say a really sad goodbye, but I'd also hate a sadder ending for Clara.  But that might just be me, since I'm not too focused on show logistics or reasoning --- it's so steeped in 'make-believe' that I don't really try to think too hard for episodes and just enjoy the story they try to tell.

I actually liked Clara and Danny the most in "Listen" where their mis-matched chemistry was a lot more entertaining and strangely bittersweet.  But yeah, since then there doesn't really feel like as much time to establish them as a "good couple" other than the show saying so ("The Janitor" made good effort to do so, the "In the Forests" backtracked making him some doting nobody pointlessly in the way of Clara's big adventure).  And certainly "Dark Water" didn't explore her grief enough.  I actually thing they should have stretched the beginning to go on longer and condensed the second half.  Parts of it could have easily been shortened; Dr Chang begged for his life three times when we knew how it was gonna end, and Missy was just kinda just hanging around the hallways till the Doctor looped back in.

I thought the Master being a female was fantastic though, so I don't see what's sexist about it?  A main [antagonist's] role, traditionally male, is finally female?  That's a 'yay' as far as I'm concerned and made the character harder to identify.  It makes the dynamic a bit more interesting and I assume why they often pair the Doctor with a female companion in the first place.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Zendervai

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 03, 2014, 12:28:03 AM »
I thought the Master being a female was fantastic though, so I don't see what's sexist about it?  A main [antagonist's] role, traditionally male, is finally female?  That's a 'yay' as far as I'm concerned and made the character harder to identify.  It makes the dynamic a bit more interesting and I assume why they often pair the Doctor with a female companion in the first place.

Some people think it's sexist because Moffat didn't make the Doctor a woman, so making the crazy villain a woman is apparently really bad. People seem to be under the delusion that Moffat went "the Doctor will NEVER be female, EVER!" when what he actually said (right before the reveal of Peter Capaldi by the way) was more along the lines of "it's not in the cards right now". Which is...not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Hell, for all we know the BBC itself could have mandated no female Doctors.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:36:12 AM by Zendervai »

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 03, 2014, 12:39:24 AM »

Some people think it's sexist because Moffat didn't make the Doctor a woman, so making the crazy villain a woman is apparently really bad. People seem to be under the delusion that Moffat went "the Doctor will NEVER be female, EVER!" when what he actually said (right before the reveal of Peter Capaldi by the way) was more along the lines of "it's not in the cards right now". Which is...not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Being honest, I wouldn't *want* a female Doctor until the perfect lady can be cast or the writing and plots for that particular season is nothing short of top-tier.  I'd hate if Doctor Who (or any celebrated series) became notorious for a shake-up as BIG as a gender change of its leading character to be considered a huge mistake... because the Internet wouldn't stop bitching that a "woman ruined their series" or that she'd be the "bad egg" amongst the boys.... or seeing more of these kinds of posts.

And I stick by what I said.  I think a sort of "baby step" like changing a primary villain (well, by Who's "in-and-out" standards) from a traditionally male to a female was great.  *shrug*
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:42:48 AM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 03, 2014, 12:41:44 AM »
There are plenty women out there that would make awesome Doctors, but I'm with Dice on the timing. The timing being Ryan Murphy starts writing Doctor Who. :P

Edit: I'm kidding before Grim goes off on one. :P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:44:36 AM by Starmongoose »

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 03, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
Ha! Ryan Murphy would make Jessica Lang the new Doctor! Now THAT would be amusing.
Personally, I have no problem with The Master being female, nor did I think it was a slight against a possible female doc. It really didn't even occur to me until I read that review I posted.
I AM annoyed at the constant recycling of villians, though. When it was revealed that she was The Master, my eyes couldn't possibly have rolled any higher.
The Clara/Danny relationship is horrid, and has resulted in zero feels for whatever happens to them. I actually cared about Amy and Rory after a while.
I like Capaldi. I just feel bad for him that he's been stuck with such bad writing.

As for...

Going back in time to save Danny. The show has established that it isn't possible in the episode "Fathers Day" in the first series with Rose. She tried to save her dad from being killed by a car (I don't think Danny dying in a traffic accident was a coincidence to this fact) and then the weird time eating bat things appeared and started to dismantle reality.

The Doctor really has had some bullshit excuses for why he can't just go back in time, but I think Danny's death is so familiar to Rose's dads death because we are [i]supposed[/i] to compare the two and accept that this isn't something he can just change.

So what did Clara expect him to do then? What are the chances that she would stick her fingers in the TARDIS goo and somehow send them to some made up "Hell" that the Master created just for The Doctor? How could that possibly have been planned for? It just makes no sense!
It's ok to suspend disbelief and just enjoy a fantastical story, but it still needs to follow the rules of it's own world.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »
@Grim

Hey I didn't say I knew all the answers. ;) I hated that part myself. So many people the Doctor has cared about has died, but this is the FIRST time he's ever gotten around to searching for an afterlife? That's so bizarre.

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2014, 10:23:35 PM »
Late to the party...

FINALLY! Th first episode this season that I've enjoyed. Honestly don't give a damn about Danny, but the rest was excellent.