Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 94427 times)

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #180 on: November 08, 2014, 11:31:57 PM »
I can't say I liked this episode outside of Missy.  The bit at the end was very bittersweet*, and I'm worried I'll hate [yet another] Christmas special.

Code: [Select]
Both got cheated of a happy ending and both had to lie about it, it seems.  Hugs do hide the faces we do make though.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2014, 06:54:58 PM »
Mixed feelings about the episode.

I liked the bittersweet ending but the "power of love' conquering the Cyber-Men just made me throw my hands up in the air with frustration.

It sucked in the Fifth Element, it sucked in the Matrix and it sucks in Doctor Who.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2014, 07:11:46 PM »
Mixed feelings about the episode.

I liked the bittersweet ending but the "power of love' conquering the Cyber-Men just made me throw my hands up in the air with frustration.

It sucked in the Fifth Element, it sucked in the Matrix and it sucks in Doctor Who.

I like the Fifth Element because that whole movie is pretty 'out there' and painting a future universe with all that psychedlia and tackiness of the 90s; Ruby Rod being the totem pole of that idea.  I still think it was fun till TBS ran it a billion times.

Doctor Who is pretty out there too, but it selects how it wants to tell a story.  I liked the "Mummy Express" episode because I thought it was a cool "horror/mystery" even if its concepts are ludicrous.  I liked "The Janitor" for making a goofy high-school love triangle plot with more emphasis on characters than a villain.

But "A Death in Heaven" showed me a bizarre, under-developed concept of the afterlife, a great concept for death/cybermen that also goes under-developed, and served up hammy concepts like its use of the "power of love" that felt like a poor solution to a problem to a big problem (so...like...are there no bodies in cemeteries anymore???).

For what was a pretty powerful season (to me, of course), I thought the first and last episodes were pretty terrible for all intents and purposes.  Dalek, Forest, and Sherwood being serviceable, but the rest ranking pretty high to me.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
  • OK, options aren't SO bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2014, 10:41:56 PM »
Sadly, my reaction is getting too predictable. There was just so much wrong or ridiculous that it was hard to ignore.
Code: [Select]
So now we have magical raindrops that can turn dead people into cybermen? Huh? I thought before the human was "upgraded" with a metal shell or whatever, but now we have Organic matter turning into non-organic? And what about the long decomposed bodies coming back? Or do they get to stay dead? 
The whole Danny/Clara thing JUST DIDN'T WORK. I felt nothing at the end when the show was trying to get me to feel something.
Once again, we have Clara being a demanding bitch and putting her own needs above humanity. WTF?
What was up with those 2 guards behind Missy on the ship? talk about Worst Guards EVAR! they didn't see her breaking out of the cuffs, then did nothing after she did.

I could go on and on.
I did grow to kind of like The Master this go around. The actress was obviously having a lot of fun with the role.
I'm relieved that this terrible season is over. Capaldi notwithstanding.
I can't wait for the terrible Christmas episode. They always are.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #184 on: December 26, 2014, 05:22:08 PM »
Series 8 was the biggest roller-coaster of the series, it had some of my favorite episodes to date: The Groundskeeper, Flatline, Into the Dalek, and Deep Breath. But also had some of the worst episodes ever: Listen (utter crap), Kill the Moon (wow!), and In the Forest of the Night. It had a number of "okay" episodes: Robot of Sherwood, Time Heist, and Mummy. And it had one really schizophrenic, "is it great, is it horrible?" finale.

I do think they finally have started to shake off the "let's make everything BIG" problems they had with the second half of Series 7, enjoying a few absolutely fun romps (Caretaker and Flatline being two of my absolute favorites), but they haven't reached the amazingly care-free-ness of the RTD era or earlier Moffat series.

But now they have finally stasis: same Doctor, same Companion, they can stop tying to prove them to the world and start just having fun with them. Thankfully, all the worst episodes weren't Moffats, and I think because of the general consensus on those, MAYBE the team will have learned their lesson. I think "Kill the Moon" is to DW how "Threshold" or "Spock's Brain" are to Star Trek, everyone knows it was awful, the creators can just pretend they didn't make them, and can make sure never to do something so horrific again. But I'm just about as equally hateful of "Listen", an episode made up almost entirely of vapid monologues by the Doctor that turn out to be all completely wrong and bullshit. It was boring, it was a waste of time, and it made me feel stupid for watching it.

Listen - award for worst pacing and writing in the entire show
Kill the Moon - Threshold award... utterly bat-shit stupid. Every plot "twist" made me want to cry.
Flatline - Greatest moments by a companion. Finally writers getting to have some amazingly fun humor in their scripts. Cousin It Doctor! Waahoo!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:01:52 PM by Prime Mover »

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 26, 2014, 11:42:30 PM »
Christmas episode was just so damn weird. It left me feeling completely nothing. What the hell was with all the inception levels of "Are you dreaming or awake?" nonsense? Ugh.
As usual, I was left with tons of questions and WTF thoughts, but i honestly don't care enough to talk about them.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 26, 2014, 11:53:50 PM »
I liked it... but then it kept going on, layering about 5 layers of spoilers and nonsense.  It was fun, and Nick Frost was a fun-enough Santa.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #187 on: December 27, 2014, 04:25:51 AM »
Yeah, I was kinda "meh" about it. Coulda been a lot worse, but that's not saying much. My girlfriend liked it well enough, and she usually hates that kinda shit, so it obviously has some things going for it. Nick Frost as santa, very cool. The "scientist" dorks were totally throwaway though.

As I said, weird weird season. Can't say it was really bad, but woah do I have some serious questions as to where Moffat and the writers' heads are at.

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2014, 03:55:41 AM »
The "scientist" dorks were totally throwaway though.

They didn't really give anyone but the blonde anything to work with, but she was pretty good.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2014, 08:55:11 AM »
So I binge watched the DVDs for the most recent season of Doctor Who having not seen any of the episodes before. My overall thoughts? It was alright? I don't really like or dislike the new Doctor. He is perfectly serviceable as the Doctor, but coming on the heels of Matt Smith (my favorite Doctor) I just don't find myself feeling any strong emotions for him. The one thing I loved about this season was Missy, she was amazing and my only complaint is that they killed her off (for good, once again!). I'm sure the character will be back because I do not believe for a second that this character will ever die for good, but I doubt we'll be lucky enough to see a return of the actress.

I liked Deep Breath (well parts of it at least), Into the Dalek, Time Heist, Mummy on the Orient Express, and Dark Warter. I was pretty meh on the rest of the episodes. I'd probably put this season somewhere in the middle of the pack of the revival seasons.....actually maybe towards the bottom since I can't really think of too many bad seasons to cushion its position.

Side note, this season would seem to have a temporal paradox to it. In Listen we apparently meet Tommy's (wait was that his name? I can't seem to remember or sure a day later) descendant because his timeline was directly related to hers. The implication of course being that she was the time traveler's great-grandmother (and I don't see any other way that can be resolved). Under the very loose rules of time travel established that should mean that her having his grandfather should now be an observed point in time resulting in it being unchangeable. But apparently Tommy is dead now, so that isn't happening....unless Clara is currently pregnant. Actually, the better question is probably why I take the rule about a time traveler observing a result making that result unavoidable seriously when the Doctor constantly seems to think it is possible for all of humanity to be wiped out when he has seen futures where that clearly did not happen. God damn inconsistent time travel rules. >.>

So in summary, what was the point of Tommy's great grandson that will never come to be in Listen now?

Dammit, now I'm nostalgic for the unkillable Rory. He handled being a companion's significant other much better.....mostly because he was immune to death, but still. Ah Rory, you will always be near the top of my best companions list.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 30, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »
Its Danny Pink you're thinking of.
Just because he's dead doesn't really mean he's going to stay dead.
They could bring him back to life, they can have Clara travel back in time to see him again and get knocked up somewhere along the way or even
bring him back from the past as a series regular only to have a dramatic final episode where he "has to go back" knowing he's about to die.
Plenty of options really.
It's a show where writers can do whatever the  heck they want as long as they come up with a good enough excuse for it.

Personally, I was hoping for a somewhat darker and more complicated Doctor.
Not to say the season was bad, but I don't think it lived up to the promise of having the doctor push his moral boundaries.
In fact, I'd have to say that Smith's Doctor was actually darker and creepier at times while Capaldi's just comes across as older and grumpier.
The Danny Pink story arch was also rather rushed and it didn't really have the dramatic effect they ware going for.

It was fun, and Nick Frost was a fun-enough Santa.

I thought that was the show's little Christmas joke (Saint Nick and Jack Frost) until I read your comment and looked it up. Having a guy actually called Nick Frost play Santa, brilliant :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:45:08 PM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 31, 2014, 08:52:24 AM »
Its Danny Pink you're thinking of.
....Wow. You know I am impressed at how little of an impression he left with me if I couldn't even remember his name less than 24 hours after watching his heroic sacrifice. I am going to put him as the weakest part of the season.

Just because he's dead doesn't really mean he's going to stay dead.
They could bring him back to life, they can have Clara travel back in time to see him again and get knocked up somewhere along the way or even
bring him back from the past as a series regular only to have a dramatic final episode where he "has to go back" knowing he's about to die.
Plenty of options really.
It's a show where writers can do whatever the  heck they want as long as they come up with a good enough excuse for it.
And I just realized that I don't like Clara anymore. I was thinking that this was her last season for some reason, but your comments made me look it up to find out I was wrong.....and then I felt a bit of pessimism for the next season. It is weird, I can't think of anything particular that I actively dislike about the actress or the character. I dunno, I'm thinking it may just be that I feel the current Doctor and Clara have a toxic relationship that is not fun to watch. I guess I'll just have to wait till next year for the next set of DVDs to see how things play out. >.>

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 31, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure Coleman wasn't confirmed for next season until the Christmas special aired. Her character was built on being surrounded by mystery so I'm not surprised that people find Clara less interesting now that the "impossible girl" and "someone making sure they meet and stay together" angles are resolved. I still like her as a character, but she's nowhere near as interesting as she was before.
Danny Pinks arch was very weak and I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they rushed it was because they weren't sure weather Coleman would be back for another season.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 31, 2014, 08:25:04 PM »
Initially I liked Clara simply because she's gorgeous. Plus, she WAS interesting for a while. Now I'm entirely sick of her. I was bummed at the end of the Christmas episode why they implied she'll be back for season 9. I was hoping for a fresh companion.

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2015, 07:43:27 PM »
Initially I liked Clara simply because she's gorgeous. Plus, she WAS interesting for a while. Now I'm entirely sick of her. I was bummed at the end of the Christmas episode why they implied she'll be back for season 9. I was hoping for a fresh companion.

I am with you. My only hope is that with Danny Pink gone (probably/mostly) and now that she is used to the new darker more crabby Doctor she will be able to grow a bit and maybe not be this annoying "clever" girl she has kind of grown into as it has progressed. She started out great, witty and clever enough to keep up, then she became almost a foil to the doctor, and so hopefully now she can go back to being interesting, and not just hot.
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.