Author Topic: Doctor Who

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #210 on: November 11, 2015, 10:13:42 AM »
I think The Zygon Inversion was the best episode since the opening two-parter with Davros et al.  Still not great, but a nice climax and some good Who-esque moments with Clara and her doppelganger.  And yes, the speech at the end was very reminiscent of 10 and 11.  It was nice to see 12 resolve a conflict with a grandiose speech.  Very nostalgic. :P
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #211 on: November 18, 2015, 08:10:22 PM »
Any thoughts on the latest?  I've never felt so ambivalent... It was an ok-enough concept, and I liked the very a-typical (no real winner/conclusion) ending... but....aauugh.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 19, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »
I'm with you Dice, and the wife is getting increasingly annoyed with the show.  I'll be honest: I haven't watched the latest episode.  Since they're all two-parters, I'm waiting so we can just watch them back-to-back.

I still like the show, but it seems to have............. I don't know... lost a spark.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2015, 12:34:46 AM »
It was .... okay. Not terrible but not fantastic.

On the other hand, I don't mind an experimental episode that's kind of interesting even if it fails slightly.

However, I'm loving the two parters this season and feel like this has been the strongest season since the show came back.

None of the camp or cheese of the RTD era, or the goofiness of the Matt Smith era.

I'm really enjoying the season. And all of the spoiler free reviews I've read says tomorrow's episode is amazing.

Peter Capaldi is my favourite Doctor since McCoy.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 22, 2015, 02:30:12 AM »
Very "unceremonious" episode in some ways (I half-expected something grander, like a sun exploding or something literally more specific and heroic and less "whoopsie!"... but I guess it's some sort of moral lesson for being reckless?)

I still thought the plot was interesting, and truly while the other 'modern Doctors' were great to show their sadness when the occasion calls for it, Capaldi's use of anger makes him brilliant and frightening despite being our story's 'hero'.  Even through bad episodes, Capaldi has been great to watch.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2015, 01:24:28 PM »
Yeah, there really wasn't any other way for Clara to go: done in by her own hubris.  For me, a new companion will be welcome.  For others, there's always hope to see Clara again, considering she is meant to have been seeded throughout the entirety of the Doctor's timeline, both past and future.  I personally hope we get Clara cameos for every regeneration from now til the end.

Speaking of which, is anyone else surprised Moffat hasn't given us more "Impossible" stuff?  After "The Impossible Astronaut" and "The Impossible Planet" and "The Impossible Girl" I kept waiting for more... like "The Impossible Sandwich" or "The Impossible Possibility" or whatever.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 24, 2015, 06:58:26 AM »
I have yet to see any episodes in this season (I'll watch the whole thing once the DVDs are out), but I'm kinda glad Clara is gone. I really did not care for her last season.

Yeah, there really wasn't any other way for Clara to go: done in by her own hubris.  For me, a new companion will be welcome.  For others, there's always hope to see Clara again, considering she is meant to have been seeded throughout the entirety of the Doctor's timeline, both past and future.  I personally hope we get Clara cameos for every regeneration from now til the end.

Speaking of which, is anyone else surprised Moffat hasn't given us more "Impossible" stuff?  After "The Impossible Astronaut" and "The Impossible Planet" and "The Impossible Girl" I kept waiting for more... like "The Impossible Sandwich" or "The Impossible Possibility" or whatever.
Why stop at the Impossible Possibility? Why not go for the Impossible Impossibility?

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 24, 2015, 08:30:33 AM »
I loved Clara.  Certainly my bias for Xenoblade and her character kicks in.  But also strictly on a visual level she looks like a damn Pixar character and I can't stop staring.  She's sweet enough too and worked off the doc well enough.

I'd love another Donna-type though, she was a lot of fun. :)
If the series is pretty 'against' a male companion, I wouldn't mind one for one episode too!  
Either way, I'm excited for what's next.  
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:41:54 PM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2015, 11:27:24 AM »
Something my wife said the other day: "Can you imagine Donna with Twelve? *proceeds to laugh hysterically for 60 seconds*"

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 05, 2015, 07:03:41 PM »
Ugh. That finale.

First half? Great.

Second half? Sucked *ass*.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 05, 2015, 11:24:58 PM »
Ugh. That finale.

First half? Great.

Second half? Sucked *ass*.

The episode was definitely about Clara/Doc and not the Doc and Gallifrey (that's probably being saved for the next time they decide the hiatus the show or something).  Because of that, I definitely liked the second half more since the first half kinda 'beat around the bush'; the series is incredibly sparse with details about the Doctor so I definitely didn't expect it here and wouldn't want it for a one hour episode.  That said, I like the ending, it's a much more epic send off than Clara fucking about with a magical Raven and works with her resonance with the Doctor as a pretty solid companion to him (and her change from timid to courageous).

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 06, 2015, 07:42:51 AM »
The episode was definitely about Clara/Doc and not the Doc and Gallifrey (that's probably being saved for the next time they decide the hiatus the show or something).  Because of that, I definitely liked the second half more since the first half kinda 'beat around the bush'; the series is incredibly sparse with details about the Doctor so I definitely didn't expect it here and wouldn't want it for a one hour episode.  That said, I like the ending, it's a much more epic send off than Clara fucking about with a magical Raven and works with her resonance with the Doctor as a pretty solid companion to him (and her change from timid to courageous).

Just the opposite. It made the death feel incredibly cheap.

No companion will ever be in danger because Moffat refuses to kill them. It's weak as fuck.

The episode itself? Where do I even start.

Code: [Select]
Gallifrey is back already, unceremoniously announced and we don't find out how.
Nor does the Doctor detect it, after the series telling us multiple times he would feel if any TLs came back to the universe.

We don't get any resolution of the Doctor/TL situation - he sends Rassilon off and then just leaves.

Speaking of which - they resurrect Rassilon to have him appear for ten minutes?
Then he just runs off like a bitch, especially while he's wearing TL weaponry? Bullshit.

We don't even see him address the High Council.

What happened to Missy? Again, another thread dropped.

Ohilia is now inexplicably the Doctor's enemy. And how the hell did she get to Gallifrey in the first place?
And why was *she* yelling at the Doctor to come back, and not one of the TLs? Again, it made zero sense.

Does the Doctor know where Gallifrey is now? Why did he bother saving it if he was just going to run off again?

The entire thing has been building up for 10 years and we got 20 grossly unsatisfying minutes.

On top of that, the Doctor is murdering people now.
Yes, he regenerated, but the Doctor *shot* him.
After last year's ragging on soldiers all season, he fucking picks up a gun and shoots someone in cold blood.

Complete bullshit.

Then we spend the rest of the episode setting up a Mary Sue resolution for Clara to run off in a Tardis.
Never mind the fact that it cheapens the death Face the Raven completely.

Then after repeatedly telling Clara that Danny can't be saved because it will create a paradox and maybe the end of the universe, when the Doctor is told that removing Clara and keeping her alive will create a fracture in time and end the universe? "Ah fuck it, I'm going to do it because I miss Clara". Shitty, inconsistent character writing.

And is the universe fucked now that Clara's been removed from time? Another thread totally dropped.

Then Clara inexplicably chooses the diner as her Tardis shape when she's never been there, and the Doctor even points it out. It makes zero sense. Why wouldn't she choose something like the cafe from her first episode?

Too many points went for a cutesy moment instead of a coherent plot.

This was shitty writing on the level of Lost or Prometheus and made zombie Cyberman Brigadier look like fucking Shakespeare.

This episode was worse than Fear Her. Easily one of my least favourite episodes in the entire run of the new series and the worst finale so far.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 07:46:58 AM by Lard »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2015, 11:26:01 AM »
I was happy to see a lackluster Season 9 get two REALLY GOOD episodes to finish it up.  Especially Heaven Sent.  That was some awesome classic Who craziness!  SO GOOD!

Really looking forward to the Christmas special, although it doesn't look like we'll be getting any answers or anything.  Just a fun romp.  We'll see.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 07, 2015, 05:21:08 PM »
Sorry double post.  A couple thoughts on Heaven Sent:

- Did some iteration of the Doctor die naked?  I'm asking because there had to be a first iteration who left his clothes by the fire and then never put them back on.

- Did the Doctor paint that picture of Clara?  He remarked when he saw it that it was very old, so... maybe one of the "first" iterations painted it.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2016, 11:26:27 AM »
Any thoughts on "The Husbands of River Song" from the RPGFan crew?