Author Topic: Doctor Who

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2016, 05:37:28 PM »
Any thoughts on "The Husbands of River Song" from the RPGFan crew?

Nat bad as far as Christmas episodes go (since most of those are pretty weird).  River is a cool character and her and Capaldi had chemistry right off the bat.  The ending was a bit sweet, but a nice ending to a pretty dramatic season.  I'm really loving Capaldi too <3
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2016, 11:17:17 AM »
Any thoughts on "The Husbands of River Song" from the RPGFan crew?

Nat bad as far as Christmas episodes go (since most of those are pretty weird).  River is a cool character and her and Capaldi had chemistry right off the bat.  The ending was a bit sweet, but a nice ending to a pretty dramatic season.  I'm really loving Capaldi too <3

I tend to agree!  I loved this Christmas special.  It was the most "madcap fun" of the Capaldi era, and it was most welcome.  Even the cheesy lines had me giggling: "I'm going to need a bigger flowchart" tickled me a lot for no reason. I think it was just Capaldi's delivery of the line.  And of course, the "hello sweetie" moment.  So good.

Having Heaven Sent, Hell Bent, and now this all in a row was a treat.  They're like 3 of the 4 best Capaldi episodes.  Although, as much as I disagree, I DO kinda sorta understand why Lard, as a super hardcore fan, could be so ticked by Hell Bent.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2016, 11:56:32 PM »
Xmas ep was funny and '24 years' was a nice twist ending to the Doctor and River without feeling like bullshit.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 28, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »
So. 

Who watched "The Return of Doctor Mysterio"?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2017, 05:37:05 PM »
So I finally caught up on the most recent season by watching the BluRays of it (and it was nice of to include the Husbands of River Song) over the weekend. Overall...I really don't know what my feelings on the season were. There was some really good stuff in there. I still love Missy completely. I loved the second to last episode. I don't think there were any episodes I particularly hated (although the last one is probably close), but I didn't really love a lot of them either. I guess I just thought it was an okay season?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
What did you think of "Heaven Sent", "Hell Bent", and "The Husbands of River Song" all in a row like that?  3 of the 4 best Capaldi episodes all crammed together.

It was a really nice 3 weeks for this Whovian.

Now you just gotta see the latest Christmas special and you'll be caught up!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »
What did you think of "Heaven Sent", "Hell Bent", and "The Husbands of River Song" all in a row like that?  3 of the 4 best Capaldi episodes all crammed together.

It was a really nice 3 weeks for this Whovian.

Now you just gotta see the latest Christmas special and you'll be caught up!
Was not really a fan of Hell Bent, and honestly I feel like the more I think about the episode the more problems I will have with it. I think for me it really just boils down to, I did not like the Capaldi/Clara dynamic. And the episode depends on that dynamic a lot.

Other two were great though.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »
Alright, then, how do we feel about Bill, plus Twelve minus Clara?

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2017, 09:53:14 AM »
So fucking glad Clara is gone. The ending of the last season was a fucking fanwank train wreck.

First two eps of this season were not bad at all, although they felt a little rushed. Last Saturday's was basically a rehash of the Beast Below.

Not very inventive or interesting.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 09, 2017, 03:43:35 PM »
The ending of the last season was a fucking fanwank train wreck.

Except for Heaven Sent, yes?

Also, how did you like Husbands of River Song?  Or even Return of Doctor Mysterio?

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2017, 11:13:00 PM »
Eh. Heaven Sent was fine but it's already overhyped to the point where it's becoming a circlejerk.

The two specials were also fine. Fluff, but fun.

This series so far......not bad. Certainly better than last year but I could do with the ham-fisted politics inserted that are about as subtle as Grandia 2.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2017, 03:11:52 PM »
Oh. I don't actually know what the DW fanbase hypes or anything.  I just know that, for me, Heaven Sent is right up there with Blink, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead and Flatline for "best episode to show a newbie".

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2017, 01:27:11 AM »
So....how about last week's ep? Quite a doozy.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »
I haven't been watching, unfortunately.  Once it goes up on Prime, I'll catch up then.