Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:25:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319250 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  1up feature: Curse of the Sequels
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 1up feature: Curse of the Sequels  (Read 5751 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2006, 09:26:01 PM »

Feature link.

Kinda linked to the Top 10 worst games list actually, since it features the one I mentioned taking issue with. I half expect this could spark some fun arguements though. :P
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 09:38:08 PM »

I wasn't exactly a huge fan of it, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that CC made the list.  Maybe I frequent the wrong forums. :p

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 09:56:03 PM »

If an argument errupts, it'll most likely be about that, and then it'd just be proven. Though it's partially timing: Obviously, the arguements are at their hottest when the game's been out for a month or two (not when it's just out though - people are still enthralled by the fact it's shiny and new, plus half of the time the negative opinions are formulated /after/ the game is fully experinced). Most of the time though, it seems that if they played CT first years back, they won't like CC at much, while the newcomers will just blow off the older players and love it regardless. The reverse has happened on occassion on both sides, and at the same time that can be applied to damn near all fandom.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 10:16:25 PM »

FFVIII and Chrono Cross should not be there...though at the same time I understand why they are.  Still FFVIII remains my favorite of the series to date...ironically for many of the reasons it gets so much hate.  As for Chrono Cross I thought it was good...nothing outstanding but personally I found it more enjoyable that Chrono Trigger which I didn't play through to completion...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 10:24:02 PM »

Remember, this is for sequels that are blasted to hell by the people on internet forums and the like, NOT sequels that are genuinely bad. Each of those games really are good, just that many of the aforementioned forum goers were either disappointed or genuinely believe that the games are absolute shit.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 10:33:02 PM »

Well, I just don't really remember people blasting CC on forums.  I've seen plenty of FFVIII bashing from FFVII fans (I don't really read too many threads on the other games in the list, but the MGS complaints also seem to be true for many of the reasons cited in the list), but CC?  Don't recall too much beyond some of the more obvious issues (poor characterization for virtually all the characters :p).  Sure some of the people who logged 1000 hours into CT or whatever are going to go to CC and say, "Lolz, this game suxorz," but the most vocal fans of anything are likely to criticize the most minor flaws in a sequel if it doesn't live up to their high expectations.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 03:53:18 AM »

Man, Zelda II was awesome.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 07:10:46 AM »

I was about to say, am the only person who adored Zelda II? I own it both on the NES and the GBA.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 07:16:07 AM »

I enjoyed Zelda 2. I wish more games came along that polished it's formula, removed the flaws, and tried to carry the torch. Closest we'll be getting to that nowadays is something like Valkyrie Profile, or perhaps some random niche DS title.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 07:22:46 AM »

Heh. The only thing that list tells us is that gamers are way too conservative. Most of the games on the list are very, very good - but just because they're not carbon copies of their predecessors people bash them to hell and back. It's because of that kind of people that games like Okami sell so poorly. God forbid that games try something new instead of just rehashing what was already popular. No wonder the various NHL and Madden updates keep topping the sales charts.
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 07:26:26 AM »

Zelda II was the best fuggin game on the NES that's not Megaman 2.  Or Contra.

If I remember correctly, the forum bashing of Chrono Cross can be summed up by "OMFG WTF BLOND HAIR".  Stupid.  :P

I'm trying to remember if it was only FFVII-fanboy-n00bs that bashed FFVIII....  :)

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 07:32:58 AM »

Quote from: "Angelo"
I'm trying to remember if it was only FFVII-fanboy-n00bs that bashed FFVIII....  :)

Nah, I think the older fans that blew off FFVII generally, by proxy, also didn't like FFVIII. It's weird for me in that, while I consider the story stupid as hell, I just really really enjoyed the game anyway. I was also on the whole 'older FFs > newer FFs' bandwagon then, but that game helped break a lot of that down when I really went through it.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 09:41:55 AM »

Oddly enough, I don't think I've ever played Zelda II. I remember seeing it, but not playing it.

I actually liked Chrono Cross quite a bit, despite it not being at all like Trigger. Hated the battle theme, though.

I REALLY liked FFVIII...until I realized I was playing it "wrong" and wasn't able to finish it. The whole drawing/junctioning thing confused me(it's not hard, really). I relied too much on the Summons, and ended up quitting about 3/4 of the way though.

Hated KOTOR. Obviously, never played the sequel.

Loved MGS2, Raiden and all. I didn't even mind all the incessant chatter.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 12:12:53 PM »

I hate reading lists like these, because it's obvious people don't have a fucking clue.  Pretty much every letter of that bullshit drivel could be replaced with "LOL, we bought into hype and it didn't deliver".

And KotOR II kicks ass...up until the end, that is, when it completely falls apart. :P

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 02:24:27 PM »

Yeah Cauton, exactly.

I liked Zelda II cause the gameplay was a bit different than the original.  THis was back in the day when a sequel would come out and it would have a new engine.  Whereas NOW...  Every game with a sequel is totally a clone of the one previous!

Maybe a new attack!  Or some fancy new lens flares!  Or even a new character.  A chick.  A hot chick in leather.  With a tongue as sharp as her sword.  But no new system, no new engine.  This is why I could care less about most action games these days.  All these action games are just ripoffs of their earlier counterparts.

And this is so the companies can make the F A T C A S H B U C K S.  Why take a /chance/ and develop something new in a series when you can stick with the same formula and make a million dollars off of it?  I mean, how much does DOA4 stray from the original?  Or Devil May Cry?  Or the newer Sonic games?  They don't stray too far, cause companies don't want to take chances, they want to make bucks.

I loved Zelda II cause it was different.  Then again, I can see why people might end up hating something when they try to make something NEW AND COOL.  Like in the case of Shining Force Neo, ouch!

I think there's a difference between the two series though.  Where as, Zelda was an action series taking a different type of action series approach and Shining Force was an SRPG and took an action approach.

It's like taking Pacman and putting him in a fucking dating sim.

Pacman: wanna eat your cherry
Miss Pacman: oh your pellets are so big

C) Put it in.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: