Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:57:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330126 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  1up feature: Curse of the Sequels
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 1up feature: Curse of the Sequels  (Read 6064 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 03:07:08 PM »

I didn't like ff7 OR ff8, or ff6, or ff5....guess I just don't really like ff.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 03:49:15 PM »

I have yet to play Zelda 2, but I own the GBA version. I'd probably enjoy it. Different is healthy for the video game industry.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 04:15:54 PM »

The only games on the list that belonged there were:

PoP: Warrior Within
Deus Ex: Invisible War (maybe...I didn't like the first much either)

That's about it.

The logic behind the arguments is backwards. It wasn't the first game plus some add-ons, but rather a new deal...whoops!

And how "FFVIII" is even a direct sequel to FFVII is beyond me. Here's something that SHOULD have been on the list: Dirge of Cerberus. :P

Finally, IMO, MGS2 killed MGS1, especially in terms of story. Crazy crazy crap.

Ramza

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 04:19:49 PM »

I used to play an online Triple Triad game years ago and the FF7 vs. FF8 rivalry flourished. Same thing with CT vs. CC. Yeah most people would bash and gripe about the sequels. I'm probably guilty of doing the same because I happen to like FF7 more than FF8 and CT more than CC. I mean I can still acknowledge that the sequels are great games, but nostalgia's always going to interfere for me. FF7 and CT are what got me into those respective series.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 08:10:43 PM »

Probably my least favorite sequel is Um Jammer Lammy.  Great idea in concept (especially the 2 player mode) and tougher than Parappa due to the twitchier control (especially when doing guitar whammy bar stuff)... but the songs weren't that good.  They weren't as catchy and hip as those in Parappa.  I really wanted to like Um Jammer Lammy, but I couldn't.  

Another shitty sequel is Alundra 2.  Do I even need to explain this one?

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 08:21:25 PM »

Ramza: Again, the list isn't about /bad/ games, it's about games people kept bitching and moaning about, regardless of the fact they were good games anyway. That's why you don't see games like DoC or (more related as it's an actual sequel and not a spin-off) DMC2 there: They genuinely suck, and it's not simply whiny fanboys on the forums saying so. :P

Edit: And I don't see why FFVII to VIII can't count. It's not about direct sequels, it's about sequels period, otherwise you may as well dash off Doom 3.
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 10:31:52 AM »

I had totally forgotten about how fanboys bitched about FF8's "draw system," as if there were such a thing.  :)

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 11:40:42 AM »

^ Heh. :P

Honestly, I liked MGS2's plot. I thought it was captivating, in fact. MGS3 was such a dissapointment to me since the plot was nowhere near as interesting. The gameplay was involving and the game was beautiful, but it didn't feel like a "real" MGS game to me. Also, that list forgot the signifigance of Rose asking "what day is it tomorrow."  

FFVIII was sort of expected, but I still think people who think Squall is "emo" are so wrong it's not even funny. He was never whiney and never said anything along the lines of "I hate my life", like the sterotypical emo person does. In fact, he barely said anything at all and seemed like an alright guy, despite his tendency to be withdrawn. Being an introvert does not equal being angsty and emo. The only time where he even begins to talk about himself is when Rino comes into the picture.

With Chrono Cross...no. Sorry. The game was spectacular and gave some weight to Chrono Trigger's concept and storyline. I thought the way it challenged the gamer and his experience with Chrono Trigger was brilliant. People love to ignore that the events in CT were the CAUSE of the parallel dimensions in CC, a pretty damn strong link, IMO. The art was beautiful, contrary to the quote from Chrono Guru, who would lead someone to believe that AKIRA TORYAMA'S art is anything other than bland.

*sigh* People...
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 12:06:52 PM »

Another shitty sequel is Alundra 2. Do I even need to explain this one?

Now THERE's a bad sequel. Good Lord, why was Alundra 2 even made?

Ramza

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 12:18:25 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Another shitty sequel is Alundra 2. Do I even need to explain this one?

Now THERE's a bad sequel. Good Lord, why was Alundra 2 even made?

Ramza

Join the club, that was a poiuntless sequel... if you even consider it a sequal. Been playing once more and beaten the majestic first Alundra game, and this one doe's not even have remotely any rerences or same items (well herb, but nothing special), monsters and such. At least with FF games, you get chocobos, summons, same monsters and so on from other games.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 02:52:44 PM »

"...Throw in the fact that the main character [Squall] is the freaking poster boy for MySpace, and you get a game that literally sucks the fun out of anything within 10 feet of the Playstation you're playing it on"

HAHA.  I really didn't like FF8 much.  It had nothing to do with the story itself but more or less the gameplay really bothered me.  I haven't played the game since it came out, but iirc i really hated the draw system, junctions, assigning summons, upgrading weapons, etc.  I played other FF's before seven thankfully and I don't think I was being a jaded gamer, i just really didn't like some of the system parts.  To be honest, I wish I still had the game because I wouldn't mind replaying it now.  I wonder if I played it now if I would still have the same gripes about the game?

As for Chrono Cross, I was probably expecting more of CT for that game.  Again, I haven't played CC since a month or so after it was released but I can remember a few annoyances that bothered me.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 04:21:01 PM »

I think FF8's draw system would have been more smoothly integrated and caused less dragginess in the gameplay if you were allowed to maybe draw 10-20 spells at a time instead of 1-5.  Would've sped things up because when gameplay drags, it stops being fun.  Admittedly, once I figured out how to exploit the whole game system/interface, I never had to summon the GFs.  Still the whole junction system was really cluttery.

Otherwise, I dug FF8, despite there being some gaping plot holes (the whole
Code:
Guardian forces made me forget everything
plot point was a total cop out in my opinion), needlessly complicating what could have been a very nice fairly straightforward and GOOD story,  and the culmination into a ridiculously wacky ending.  I liked the town designs, especially Deling City and Esthar.  Esthar was f'n awesome.  I love futuristic towns like that.  

And I think one reason people disliked Squall was because he reminded people of themselves back when they were teenagers and it's a side of themselves people want to forget.  I used to be just like Squall when I was 15-16.  I cared about people, but I put up a front and often would spout soliloquies in my bedroom behind closed doors to try and make sense of the world and my feelings of it.  The only difference between he and I was that he put on a tough-guy front while I put on a more clowny front.  

Sure the other characters didn't get much development, but the game was more or less a case study of Squall; big change from games like FF6 that had deep development for everyone.  

I liked FF8.  I liked the setting and the characters in it.  The only thing to me is that the narrative and storytelling could have been much stronger.  Many of the accoutrements weren't necessary and bogged down and otherwise nice story.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 05:44:39 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
And I think one reason people disliked Squall was because he reminded people of themselves back when they were teenagers and it's a side of themselves people want to forget.

That's why I hate Squall, for sure.

Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 06:11:25 PM »

Alundra 2 is surely the worst offender, because the first one was just amazing.
FFVIII I really didn't like. The draw system, the fact I had to keep using those GF that would take 1-3 minutes of animation, which made battles a drag. The laughable
Code:
we all come from the same orphanage
BS plot twist. Plus, it was the poorest World I have ever seen in a RPG - in any FF at least - there was like what, 3 Gardens and two totally uninspiring towns? Of course, there was Squall too.
CC I enjoyed, but it had the worst battle theme I have ever heard. I had to mute it to do battle, something I never do. I like CT better, but it's not a bad game.
I only have read the second page of the topic, but I am surprised no one has mentione FFT:Advance. Granted, I have never played this game, but I heard the worst things about it.
I can't remember another one.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 06:12:27 PM »

Quote from: "Angelo"
I had totally forgotten about how fanboys bitched about FF8's "draw system," as if there were such a thing.  :)

The irony is that three people called it the "draw system" immediately after you posted. :P
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: