Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 01:13:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319300 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Any good RPGs in a non-medieval pseudo European setting?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Any good RPGs in a non-medieval pseudo European setting?  (Read 2435 times)
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »

It's not that I don't like RPGs with the traditional fantasy medieval pseudo-European setting, but lately I've been hungering for more RPGs that take place in a different setting.   I'm particularly interested in PC RPGs, but I also have a PS3, 3DS, and PSP so I welcome any suggestions for any of those platforms.  Especially looking for turn-based combat or real-time w/ pause as I'm generally bored with action RPGs and not interested in MMOs.  I like RPGs with you know role-playing: lots of dialogue, deep stories, meaningful choices and not just endless battles.  I figure there have to be some indie RPGs out there that have some unconventional settings.  

Any good sci-fi RPGs out there?  Of course I know about the wildly popular series like Mass Effect and Deus Ex (which are arguably really action games with RPG elements).  I love Fallout 1&2  (tried 3 but couldn't really get into it).  I'm looking forward to Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns (which is cyberpunk + fantasy).  Anyway, overall it seems like Sci-Fi RPGs are pretty rare.  

I'd also be very interested in more fantasy RPGs that don't take place in a medieval European-based setting.  I'm backing a game on Kickstarter called Unrest that takes place in a fantasy version of Ancient India and emphasizes choice over combat.

Any East-Asia inspired RPGs?  Only games that comes to mind are Suikoden and Jade Empire.     Any Samurai inspired RPGs?   I know there's a good number of strategy games based in feudal Japan, but not really any RPGs.  

Anything based on any other historical / geographical location?  
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:48:03 AM by daved » Logged

Check out the Dragon Fin Soup raffle contest for a chance to win free art prints, plushies, or a deluxe digital copy of the game.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 11:11:54 AM »

Well, there's Kingdom of Paradise/Key of Heaven (depending on your region), a fantasy action RPG set in a very east-asian inspired world, there's also the entire Shin Megami Tensei series. There's Anachronox (available on GOG.com) and Septerra Core (also GOG) as well for PC. And look into DS rpgs. There's a ton of them that are all over the setting scale.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:22:24 AM »

Penny Arcade is a weird amalgamation of settings, but it's definitely not the standard medieval Europe thing.  And it's turn-based.

There's also the entire Disgaea series.  If you've never played them, you've got a variety of options with the three non PC systems you mentioned.  (Although technically, you'd be playing a DS game on your 3DS.)  We've given darned good reviews to them all.  If you're completely unfamiliar with the series, my review of the first Disgaea on PSP is practically a game guide.  If you're just interested in which one's best, read any of 'em. :)  I think 2 was my favorite.

As Zendervai says, SMT is a big one, as well as Persona.  You can get Persona 3 Portable on your PSP, and it's dynamite.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »

You want Planescape: Torment, daved.  Not only is it a very unique setting, it most definitely meets your requirement of focusing on dialogue and roleplaying over combat.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 11:38:16 AM »

Atelier Rorona is pretty obviously European Renaissance based. The other games in the Arland sub-series don't really have its unique atmosphere, though.

Koudelka - and Shadow Hearts - is definitely what you're looking for. Koudelka takes place around 1900, and the Shadow Hearts games around 1920.  They even have the Asian themes, as well!

Not really an RPG, but Hakuoki is a visual novel based off of Japanese history, complete with the Samurai that you want.
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 11:40:48 AM »

Looks like the Shadow Hearts series is for you! It has that JRPG sense of adventure, but takes place during WWI(and into the 20's) in many real world locations. There isn't so much in the way of meaningful choices, but characters and story are a major focus. I will echo Zendervai's recommendations of Shin Megami Tensei with it's Post-Apocalyptic Tokyo being interesting as well as Anachronox. The SMT offshoots Persona and Digital Devil Saga a regood fantastical Sci-F settings with good characters, there is more dialogue otions in Persona though. Chrono Cross has another one of those weird JRPG amalgam worlds, but it is a semi-modern Caribbean world. There is definitely more I'm not thinking of...

Also Unrest looks really cool.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 04:23:18 PM »

You mentioned Fallout 3, but did you try New Vegas too? I thought F3 was terribad while NV solved all problems I had with the original (Gamebryo crappiness aside).
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »

Everything Shin Megami Tensei.

TASTY!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »

Yeah I was thinking about both Shin Megami Tensei and Shadow Hearts.

How about Jade Cocoon? That's more of a South America influence.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 09:37:33 PM »

You mentioned Fallout 3, but did you try New Vegas too? I thought F3 was terribad while NV solved all problems I had with the original (Gamebryo crappiness aside).

Really? I actually thought 3 was a lot better, the narrative I felt was a lot more focused. The factions thing was interesting in NV but the companions weren't as interesting, except Boone(he's awesome). Also, 3 you could very easily max out all your stats and skills while NV was more balanced and I kind of like that maxing out everything. Old world blues is probably the best expansion out of all of them though.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 11:47:12 PM »

Wait.

Are you asking for neither medieval nor Europe, or just non-medieval Europe?

Solatorobo takes place in an 1800s French-esque setting, where everything is floating islands. So does Skies of Arcadia, for that matter.

Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams takes place on an 1800s inspired European-styled Mars. It's also free on gog.

The Geneforge games kind of... do their own thing. It's never really clear if they're post-apocalyptic sci-fi or fantasy. Clarke's Third Law and all. Ostensibly the europeanoid high-fantasy we're used to, but gone all askew.

How about Jade Cocoon? That's more of a South America influence.

Also picked up some African and I THINK Vietnam?

Chrono Cross has another one of those weird JRPG amalgam worlds, but it is a semi-modern Caribbean world. There is definitely more I'm not thinking of...

1000 AD in Chrono Trigger was... not modern but they had electricity so I think you could say it was roughly steampunkish? CC was in 1030 AD and technology's improved by that point except you're in some backwater-ass island so you don't see much of it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:54:58 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 02:45:34 PM »

Wild Arms series (ps1, ps2, psp) standard jrpg fantasy in an old-west style setting.

Knights of the old republic 1/2 (pc); star wars rpg

And as someone already mentioned; Planescape Torment would really fit your criteria (pc; old infinity engine rpg, very loyal following, and not European setting)
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 07:27:30 PM »

All Shin Megami Tensei games. If you like Japan, go with Devil Survivor.

Also, Pokémon X & Y.

Oh wait.

Something's off with an egg... ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »

The world ends with you [DS] - modern japan jrpg

Soul Reaver [PC, PS1]  - post-apocalyptic vampire wasteland, good dialogue and voice acting, but it is zelda-ish in terms of action

Phantasy Star Online/Portable (or even the classics on a genesis collection on ps3) [psp, pc] - futuristic / sci-fi, the modern ones may be too action-y

Parasite Eve [ps1] - Modern New York, jrpg

Valkyria Chronicles [PS3, psp] - Europe, but WW2 era, strategy rpg

Jade Empire [PC] - China

Also, while you aren't looking for MMOs, one of the best non-medieval settings I've seen in a game (in terms of novelty and atmosphere) is Anarchy Online [PC].  I find that when I play it I am alone far more often than in a group, combat pace is slow enough and mechanics are suitably complex that it's almost more of a strategy game to optimize setups.  It is turning 12 years old this month, so it's not a dazzling modern spectacle and it has some very old-school design, but I still get back into it every few years and regard it as one of my favorite games.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 12:05:57 AM »

By looking at your comment it seems to me you do have somewhat of a preference to western RPGs but one RPG which I would consider somewhat futuristic and has an awesome combat system is Resonance of Fate. The story is a little insane but the combat more than makes up for it. A game that is always a challenge, from the time your start the game it rarely get's easy and it's always fun!

One that is hot entirely an RPG and more an adventure game is Heavy Rain. It may please you. Lots of choices, dark settings, good story.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: