Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 06:14:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341196 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden 1 and 2 finally coming to psn + Suikoden discussion.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Suikoden 1 and 2 finally coming to psn + Suikoden discussion.  (Read 1914 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2014, 02:33:15 AM »

I thought you had to get to the end of his quest within the time limit to get him? Is that not the case?

You don't actually gain anything from completing Clive's quest. All you really get is a little bit more of Clive's story out in the open.

But yeah, Elza is actually somewhat easy to miss if you aren't looking around Muse or paying attention since she's tucked away in the northeast corner of the town where there aren't any shops (outside of a Blacksmith that isn't really worth a drat IIRC) or other major points of interest besides her. She'd be a dick move if she didn't have a custom sprite and something like a Sound Set or a Window that you can get off of her.

It's also not so obvious to some players that her package is what you need to get Clive since you either already have the package when you meet him and get him, or you don't and thus can't get him at all. And the package itself is treated with such little fanfare that subsequent playthroughs are more likely to miss him due to thinking that you only need to talk to him to get him to join (especially if said player is trying to skip over everything to complete his quest in the first place).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2014, 03:01:55 PM »

So, being unable to play much Suikoden today due to a recent surgery, I mostly just browsed the internet looking for various things to keep me amused, when I happened across this particular piece of awesomeness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12ZF-1MzVkw

Back in the mid-90's, if you were an RPG, and your name wasn't 'Arc the Lad II',, you didn't get no fancy anime adaption. However, there was still a chance of getting a manga adaption or, if you were lucky, a drama CD or two. Suikoden must have hit the jackpot, as it received a full-blown radio drama which retells  the story of the first game, with some liberties taken of course. Although, ost drama CD's aren't all that accessible due to usually staying in Japan, and being in Japanese. Not so with this one. What we have today is not only the Suikoden radio drama translated, but applied to sprites and maps from the actual first Suikoden game, edited to accord to the radio drama. The result is the closet thing you'll get to a Suikoden anime, and for people who've played the game, it's a must-see.

But wait, there's more! Turns out that the same guy responsible for this also gave the Suikoden II Drama CD the same treatment. Neither of these are real substitutes for the games themselves, but again, for those who've played these, these vidoes are just so enjoyable. :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:04:02 PM by kkhohoho » Logged
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »

So, being unable to play much Suikoden today due to a recent surgery, I mostly just browsed the internet looking for various things to keep me amused, when I happened across this particular piece of awesomeness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12ZF-1MzVkw

Back in the mid-90's, if you were an RPG, and your names wasn't 'Arc the Lad II',, you didn't get no fancy anime adaption. However, there was still a chance of getting a manga adaption or, if you were lucky, a drama CD or two. Suikoden must have hit the jackpot, as it received a full-blown radio drama which retells  the story of the first game, with some liberties taken of course.. Of course, most drama CD's aren't all that accessible due to usually staying in Japan, and being in Japanese. Not so with this one. What we have today is not only the Suikoden radio drama translated, but applied to sprites and maps from the actual first Suikoden game, edited to accord to the radio drama. The result is the closet thing you'll get to a Suikoden anime, and for people who've played the game, it's a must-see.

But wait, there's more! Turns out that the same guy responsible for this also gave the Suikoden II Drama CD the same treatment. Neither of these are real substitutes for the games themselves, but again, for those who've played these, these vidoes are just so enjoyable. :D
good find. will watch later.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »

Back in the mid-90's, if you were an RPG, and your names wasn't 'Arc the Lad II',, you didn't get no fancy anime adaption. However, there was still a chance of getting a manga adaption or, if you were lucky, a drama CD or two. Suikoden must have hit the jackpot, as it received a full-blown radio drama which retells  the story of the first game, with some liberties taken of course.. Of course, most drama CD's aren't all that accessible due to usually staying in Japan, and being in Japanese. Not so with this one. What we have today is not only the Suikoden radio drama translated, but applied to sprites and maps from the actual first Suikoden game, edited to accord to the radio drama. The result is the closet thing you'll get to a Suikoden anime, and for people who've played the game, it's a must-see.

In addition to the Drama CDs, there's also two Suikogaiden games (which are VNs featuring the many adventures of Suki 3's Nash) the first takes place around the time of Suki 2 and the second directly in between Sukis 2 and 3, as well as a Manga adaptation of Suki 3.

As an aside, AtL2 wasn't the only JRPG to get an animated adaption. Fire Emblem got one (that lasted all of three episodes), Pokemon got one (that's still going on today; and then another about a year ago on top of that), Tales of gets at least one for each mainline (I think only Phantasia really applies at this point), Star Ocean 2 got one (eventually, assuming you want to go into the early 00s), Final Fantasy had one (Legend of the Crystals, i.e. the lousy FFV sequel one; not Unlimited, the really lousy one that had nothing to do with anything beyond getting slapped with certain branding elements like Chocobos, Cactuar and the name Final Fantasy among other things; though if you count SO2 then this one counts as well since it came out around the same time), The Legend of Zelda got one (sorta, kinda, maybe, back in the late 80s; and this assumes you count it as a JRPG), Record of Lodoss War got at least one (although this is more of a case of the anime coming first, although technically the game did come first if you go by the D&D play-by-plays) and a bunch of other stuff that started as a manga/anime and got a video game adaptation (DBZ, Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya, Tenchi Muyo, Magic Knight Rayearth etc.).

kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2014, 09:39:49 PM »

Back in the mid-90's, if you were an RPG, and your names wasn't 'Arc the Lad II',, you didn't get no fancy anime adaption. However, there was still a chance of getting a manga adaption or, if you were lucky, a drama CD or two. Suikoden must have hit the jackpot, as it received a full-blown radio drama which retells  the story of the first game, with some liberties taken of course.. Of course, most drama CD's aren't all that accessible due to usually staying in Japan, and being in Japanese. Not so with this one. What we have today is not only the Suikoden radio drama translated, but applied to sprites and maps from the actual first Suikoden game, edited to accord to the radio drama. The result is the closet thing you'll get to a Suikoden anime, and for people who've played the game, it's a must-see.

In addition to the Drama CDs, there's also two Suikogaiden games (which are VNs featuring the many adventures of Suki 3's Nash) the first takes place around the time of Suki 2 and the second directly in between Sukis 2 and 3, as well as a Manga adaptation of Suki 3.

As an aside, AtL2 wasn't the only JRPG to get an animated adaption. Fire Emblem got one (that lasted all of three episodes), Pokemon got one (that's still going on today; and then another about a year ago on top of that), Tales of gets at least one for each mainline (I think only Phantasia really applies at this point), Star Ocean 2 got one (eventually, assuming you want to go into the early 00s), Final Fantasy had one (Legend of the Crystals, i.e. the lousy FFV sequel one; not Unlimited, the really lousy one that had nothing to do with anything beyond getting slapped with certain branding elements like Chocobos, Cactuar and the name Final Fantasy among other things; though if you count SO2 then this one counts as well since it came out around the same time), The Legend of Zelda got one (sorta, kinda, maybe, back in the late 80s; and this assumes you count it as a JRPG), Record of Lodoss War got at least one (although this is more of a case of the anime coming first, although technically the game did come first if you go by the D&D play-by-plays) and a bunch of other stuff that started as a manga/anime and got a video game adaptation (DBZ, Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya, Tenchi Muyo, Magic Knight Rayearth etc.).

...You just had to get technical, didn't you? :P (I actually knew a lot of this; it's just that, A.Arc the Lad was a fairly traditional RPG, and was the first to spring to mind, and B. I was trying to make a funny. And then you just had to really get into it. :P (JK. Partly.))

Also, I've gotten up to Chapter 5 of the Suikoden CD Drama, and while it's still enjoyable for the fan-service alone, (not that kind of fan-service :P ...) they cut a LOT of stuff out. Either that, or they do it like a straight-up play, and exposit various events that, in this version of the story, happened off-screen. The biggest offender so far has to be Episode 5. Episode 4 ended with Victor bringing Tir and the others to Odessa's filthy, rat-infested sewers pleasant hideaway. And what does Episode 5 begin with? Why, none other than the heroes returning back to the castle after defeating Kwanda, of course.

If you haven't played the games, you'll really be lost, but that's not who this was made for. This was made for the fans, and if you're a fan, you should still get a kick out of it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:10:36 PM by kkhohoho » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »

It seems to be Aeolus' thing. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Today at 10:55:07 AM »

Revelant.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Today at 11:46:58 AM »

^Now that guy's just showing off. 3 guide books AND two figures? Pshaw...

I want that mask...you know how many kids I could scare with those eyes?
« Last Edit: Today at 11:48:32 AM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Today at 12:00:19 PM »

^Now that guy's just showing off. 3 guide books AND two figures? Pshaw...

I want that hat.

Which picture are you looking at?

I see a guy who owns five figures, five guide books, five games, a soundtrack, a poster, a wall scroll and a massive plushie (and what looks like two trophies of some kind).

He's got a figure of Suki 1's and 4's Heroes, Suki 3's Hugo and Geddoe and a fifth figure that's poorly positioned behind one of his watch award thingies and hard to actually make out.

Though what makes him a scrublord is the fact that his Suki 1 game has a used game price sticker still on it. For shame

True Rune Edit: Looks like this post was under the influence of the Beast Rune. Too bad it seems to be gone now.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:03:22 PM by Aeolus » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Today at 12:23:19 PM »

a massive plushie

Ahahaha

haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

oh lawdy, you card.

THEY'S A SKELETON IN THAT PLUSHIE, SON.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:34:06 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`