Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 08:39:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334485 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Atelier Series
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: The Atelier Series  (Read 7079 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Today at 02:24:05 PM »

Ah, stalker!  (Not that it's not totally obvious that it's me) If you have a MFC account feel free to add me as a friend.
(And since we're talking about Atelier figures, I just won this lovely GK at YAJ: http://myfigurecollection.net/item/97756
Hopefully I can do her justice!)

I think Shallie might be another one of those polarizing games in the series.  People in Japan were upset because they removed the time limit entirely.  I haven't played it yet, as I'm waiting on the western release, but I'm interested in seeing how that changes how the western audience perceives the game since there's always a ton of bitching about the time limits.

Great news though! I liked the music more than E&L's at least.

Somewhat related, I'm not sure if any of you own the E&L artbook, but the very first Escha designs look exactly like what was later used for Shallie.  Pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:38:39 PM by Cyril » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Today at 03:33:06 PM »

Am I weird for liking pretty much everything from Mana Khemia to Rorona? Give me plenty of synthesis and a good battlesystem and I'm a happy player. And to be honest, I think it's a good thing they don't stick too closely to a formula. If they just swapped out the storyline and characters every year, I'd wouldn't look forward to these games as much as I do.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Today at 03:44:31 PM »

There are plenty of people who love all or most of the games in the series. Atelier is going more Final Fantasy in route with its different styles than Dragon Quest's consistency.  And, just like FF, people are bound to favor one game or style over another.

The issue is that in Japan there's a pretty big split in how perception of Atelier has progressed. I believe I had a pretty big rant about it earlier in the thread, but the basics is that the series genre and tone have changed drastically since Atelier 1-6, Marie-Violet, and, has on a whole, been (forgive the slang) "casualized," and Shallie removing the time limit entirely is basically the furthest step from what Atelier originally was and represented, which was a management-heavy title with light RPG elements, great characters, an interesting world (how many other series are based on the German renaissance?), good music, and a light, fun attitude.

This is an issue for Atelier because it is so niche.  FF can keep, even gain fans, by changing genres, but Atelier needs its core fans.

It's going through growing pains, especially now that TemcoKoei owns GUST and wants it to appeal to a wider audience.  Especially after Totori's surprise popularity and Totori was a huge step in the "less management" direction.  They haven't been able to emulate Totori's popularity yet, even with Meruru, which is objectively superior, from a gameplay perspective.  

The problem for the traditional fans is that the re-release of Judie on the PSP might have sent all of the wrong messages to GUST about what they want in the series.  Judie is generally considered to be one of the worst games in the series, though it does have its fans; if they had gone with the superior Violet, conversely considered one of the best, the sales might have been better and showed GUST there is still a market for the older-styled Atelier titles.

Edit: For all my rant, I also like that they switch out styles.  I personally found the moeblobs in Arland to be a bit grating by the time Meruru hit, for example, and enjoy the darker tone they went with Dusk.  If every game in the future had E&L's characters, I probably would drop the series.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:55:01 PM by Cyril » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Today at 04:19:34 PM »

In E&L it wasn't that I didn't like the characters, it was that there's not much time to develop a liking for them. Sure, most of them are with you for 3+ years, but they don't have all that many events. Maybe the loose schedule of the game as a whole made that more obvious than it needed to be.

(Man, I wish I could play the older Ateliers! I really likt he idea of a game like Rorona but without the moeblobs.)
dagas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Today at 04:54:06 PM »

As long as they keep the suger sweet characters, lush anime style and the synthesizing I think it will be fine. It is a nice contrast to the darker theme most games have and the story is more personal than saving the world. However I am a bit concerned that I might burn out after awhile. Atelier still feel fresh for me. I have just been playing the games for a year, not counting a few hours of Mana Khemia a few years ago. However with one game per year (with the Plus version of that game it is two games per year) it could become too much. In 2015 it is Ayesha Plus and Shellie both coming out.

I think it will be fine though since I have liked all of the games so far. But I cannot say that they feel very deep. I wouldn't say that an Atelier game have a story that have really impacted me that much. The games feel a bit like a walk in the park on a warm summers day with birds singing and flowers blooming. It is nice and pleasent, but that is about it. I cannot really explain why I enjoy them so much except maybe because so few games feel like a beautiful summers day. It is the complete opposite of the story in the FFXIII games. It is not trying to be serious and complex to a degree that most people get confused. In FFXIII you don't just need to save the world, it is about saving time and in the last one about the end of the world which is pretty much as dark you can get. Meanwhile Rorona is just concerned with her small alchemy shop and whether or not it will be closed. It seems insignificant to most JRPG stories but at the same time so refreshing.

I have enjoyed Ayesha and Escha a lot so I am pretty certain I will like the last game in the Dusk series too.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Today at 05:20:37 PM »

I think you're right about E&L's characters, Tomara.  Maybe given more scenes with them I'd have liked them a bit better. 

And that's fine Dagas, it just shows the difference in fan preference that I was illustrating above!   I play the series for entirely different reasons!
I prefer the more management-heavy Atelier with less sugary, but not all dark and broody, characters.  Annie's my favorite heroine in the series, though I can admit she is not the best.  I enjoy her because she's a very flawed and shallow heroine at first. 

I think your "walk in the park" comment is a consequence of the modern path the games have taken.  The earlier games, while easily inferior in Alchemy, were definitely much deeper titles that required very strict management of resources.  Certain endings are close to impossible to get without knowing exactly what you're doing and going for them right from the very start.  And this is what I enjoyed.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Today at 07:12:22 PM »

Ah, stalker!  (Not that it's not totally obvious that it's me) If you have a MFC account feel free to add me as a friend.
(And since we're talking about Atelier figures, I just won this lovely GK at YAJ: http://myfigurecollection.net/item/97756
Hopefully I can do her justice!)

Congrats on the winning figure (I love the details and colours).
But you told me about the site!  I didn't stalk!  I OBSERVED!!!!!

I got the Atelier Shallie artbook today....

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
raisel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Today at 07:18:02 PM »

I don't have much in the way of preferences between classic-styled and RPG-styled Ateliers, as I can enjoy Marie as much as I enjoy Mana Khemia, though for entirely different reasons.

But Cyril, didn't Atelier Violet get a PSP port too?

Ma ki ga exec aulla ganna dand oz ee ciel. mAtyAy aje lyuma/.
N waw W an-pu kiu-wa-fen-ne miriu-du ahih=yeta-a;
QuelI-> { EXwI[cez]->{ic-p ciel}->{ic-b ciol};}->ExeC->{DW};
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: