Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 09:40:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338709 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 3  (Read 16785 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2014, 10:05:28 AM »

I recently was playing through Dragon Age 2 because of my low expectations, mainly because of reviews. I am really enjoying it. Except for "companion armor'. I really hope they do away with that.

As far as bows go I knew warriors and rouges could use them. Seems weird to make that a bullet point. Seems like a Madden tactic. You would think they were apart of......... EA. LOL that is a pretty good way of advertising. Perhaps they mean you can switch between the two.

Glad to see someone else is enjoying DA2 as well. I just beat it about a week ago and really liked it.

I kind of cheated today I looked up the other companions because I want to rock with another warrior lol. I can't wait to find that slave elf.

I really wanted to play it because it ties into 3 with the reoccurring characters.

Fenris was actually one of my least favorite characters because of his hate for mages. Especially towards the end of the story. I won't spoil it for you.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2014, 10:34:13 AM »

Meryl was my most hated character by far. She is so stupid it's incredible. Anders is a very close second because of you know what.
Code:
Me: Hey Meryl. Blood magic (BM) is bad...
Meryl: STFU! BM is good!

Me: Meryl, you're losing control, give up on BM.
Meryl: STFU, I'll prove to you that BM is the awesome and totes not evil.

Me: Meryl, you just fucked up. Stop BMing already.
Meryl: Ok... I'll give up on BM... NOT !

... (personal quest)

Meryl: OH NOES I HAVE KILLED MY ENTIRE TRIBE BECAUSE OF BM!
Meryl: WHY OH WHY
Meryl: IF ONLY SOMEONE EVER TOLD ME BM = BAD

*facepalm*

Actually, thinking about it... I didn't really like anyone except Varic and Bethany.
It kinda feels like Seinfeld where everyone is a jerk.
Avelyne is OK... but... erm... that chin... I just can't... (maybe I should make a mod for that)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:43:01 AM by Annubis » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »

To be fair, there doesn't seem to be a single mage in the Dragon Age universe who doesn't resort to blood magic at the drop of a hat.  Guess the templars were actually right all along...

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2014, 04:04:56 PM »

I totally forgot about Meryl. She is easily the worst. Fenris at least is kind of cool and goes along with whatever you say despite his hate of mages... Meryl is just dumb. Varric and Anders were my favorite. I played Awakening right before this so I had to use Anders. I was a little disappointed in his actions at the end, but I couldn't blame him.

To be fair, there doesn't seem to be a single mage in the Dragon Age universe who doesn't resort to blood magic at the drop of a hat.  Guess the templars were actually right all along...

This is so true!

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2014, 04:33:43 PM »

It's like you forgot all about Wynne and Irving (I kid, I kid).  My favorite characters in DA2 were Varric and Aveline.  I like how they deliberately didn't make Aveline cute, sexy, or vulnerable.  She was a soldier who believed in law and order, and was maybe the toughest sonofabitch on your team.  But hey, her husband died and she's sad, so her sidequest is to hook a girl up.  I liked that.  Varric is great; no arguments here.  I thought that DA2 ruined Anders.  He was a sarcastic, fun Templar-hater in Awakening that turned into a whining, tormented martyr.  I was disappointed in how they handled his character. 

And honestly?  I like DA2, but I think it has some serious problems.  I *get* what it was trying to do in build up Hawke's legend in Kirkwall, but I still feel that such blatant reuse of maps over the course of the game is a disappointment.  Part of the fun of RPGs is traveling to new areas, and DA2 was seriously lacking on that front.  I also think that the endgame is a little screwed up. 

Code:
No matter what you do or whom you support, the First Enchanter and Templar General end up losing their minds and transforming into monsters and the war begins the same way.  The end state of Dragon Age: Origins has a TON of possibilities for the end of the Fereldan Civil War and the state of the nation, but the end state of DA2 is mostly about the fate of its main characters.  That was disappointing to me. 
I'm not exactly down on DA2, but I think that DA: Origins and DA: Awakening are both better from a story, character, and environment perspective.  DA2's combat, skills, and systems are great, though, and I hope that DA: Inquisition is the result of BioWare understand what worked and didn't work about all three games and ends up as the best of both worlds. 

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2014, 06:18:01 PM »

I thought that DA2 ruined Anders.  He was a sarcastic, fun Templar-hater in Awakening that turned into a whining, tormented martyr.  I was disappointed in how they handled his character. 

This is very true.  Anders was my favorite character in Awakening, by far.  DA2's Anders felt like a completely different person.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2014, 09:10:11 PM »

Different writer I believe. I love DA:O Anders!

Remember how if you were a mage in DA2 nobody really gave a crap even though mages were supposedly the antichrist in Kirkwall?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:12:40 PM by Sagacious-T » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2014, 09:29:33 PM »

Remember how if you were a mage in DA2 nobody really gave a crap even though mages were supposedly the antichrist in Kirkwall?

Even funnier when
Code:
the Templars in the last act were asking for my aid to kill every single mage in the city. (I was a mage)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:55:47 AM by Annubis » Logged
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2014, 01:49:42 AM »

Haha oh god.

Sometimes I wonder if DA2 could have been better if it had more time for development. On paper the game seems so much better than its execution.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2014, 06:53:23 AM »

:( At all the Meryl hate. I found her rivalmance to be extremely enjoyable.

Insanity is literally in the air in Kirkwall thanks to the veil being thin there, resulting in just about every mage turning to blood magic eventually. Mages outside of Kirkwall tend not to have the same tendancy for blood magic.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2014, 01:16:33 PM »

Even funnier when
Code:
the Templars in the last act were asking for my aid to kill every single mage in the city. (I was a mage)

Stuff like this I did not experience on my playthrough because I was a warrior, but it gives me better perspective on why some people rag on the game.

trexrell
Kelt Warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2014, 04:01:18 PM »

They way the Quanari are represented in Dragon Age 2 makes me think they are really brutal .When reading about them in the game lore they seem alright but than they always seem to want to kill you no matter how understanding you are.

The templars and the circle could be a good thing. Since you know... the demons. The way they go about it is what ends up making it such a negative thing. Instead of the templars coming off as something that wants to help. They have an image of mage killers which would make any mage run.That and pretty much ending up in slavery.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »

I'm a bit late, but oh man, I loathed Meryl.  I have no idea how the developers thought she would be considered cute.  I can't see her as anything but obnoxious, annoying, and stupid.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2014, 07:00:08 PM »

DA2 was originally called Dragon Age Exodus. You can disagree all you want but this is a fact.

Another fact: the direction of the game was so appalling that the lead designer of DA:O quit Bioware.

Anyways, I hope they can turn DA3 around and appease fans of both origins and 2.

Brent Knowles didn't quit bioware because the direction was so "appalling". He felt DA 2 would lead in more a mass effect type game and since that's not his style it wouldn't be right for him to be lead designer of the game. Its not that mass effect style is terrible, its a more action-RPG style.

That said, the gameplay videos have shown they are going back to the combat style of origins with set enemy encounters and more focus on the tactics. Futhermore, he was still working for Bioware when he made his post on why he was leaving. Hes not going to bad mouth the company he was still currently working for. His post was not nearly as negative as people now make it out to be.

As for Dragon Age Exodus, not sure what that has to do with anything. Marketing choose to change the name because you don't really need to play DA: O to understand DA 2 story. The name exodus doesn't in any way imply that the game was going to be a spinoff. Not sure where this weird idea that DA 2 was meant to be a spinoff game started because its not in the thread where the Exodus logo was found.

So no, I don't except either of those statements as fact.

:( At all the Meryl hate. I found her rivalmance to be extremely enjoyable.

Insanity is literally in the air in Kirkwall thanks to the veil being thin there, resulting in just about every mage turning to blood magic eventually. Mages outside of Kirkwall tend not to have the same tendancy for blood magic.

The game does state there are more blood mages in Kirkwall than normal.

And poor Merrril, her rivalmance is SO cute. lol *highfive* fellow Merril fan. Well, there are lot of Merril fans. I guess it depends on if your reaction to her is to protect her or smack her. I'd say both are valid. As for her personal quest:
Code:
you can avoid having to kill her clan.
That said, Isabela was the funniest character in the game. Isabela + Varric was hilarious.

Also, yay! more interest in the game. Definitely go watch the two part demo of the game which shows off how the combat is more tactical this time around.

Edit: Her names spelt MERRILL not Meryl. :P
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:29:13 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2014, 09:31:09 PM »

I couldn't stand Isabella, either.

Really, I found most of the cast of DA2 to be bordering on annoying or relatively intolerable.  I think the single exception was Aveline, who I liked.

Fenris was saved only by having Gideon Emery as a voice actor.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: