Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 09:16:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338137 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age 3  (Read 15990 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2014, 07:22:18 AM »

I'm a bit late, but oh man, I loathed Meryl.  I have no idea how the developers thought she would be considered cute.  I can't see her as anything but obnoxious, annoying, and stupid.
:(

And poor Merrril, her rivalmance is SO cute. lol *highfive* fellow Merril fan. Well, there are lot of Merril fans. I guess it depends on if your reaction to her is to protect her or smack her. I'd say both are valid. As for her personal quest:
Code:
you can avoid having to kill her clan.
That said, Isabela was the funniest character in the game. Isabela + Varric was hilarious.

Also, yay! more interest in the game. Definitely go watch the two part demo of the game which shows off how the combat is more tactical this time around.

Edit: Her names spelt MERRILL not Meryl. :P
*highfive*

I couldn't stand Isabella, either.

Really, I found most of the cast of DA2 to be bordering on annoying or relatively intolerable.  I think the single exception was Aveline, who I liked.

Fenris was saved only by having Gideon Emery as a voice actor.
Really? I loved the cast of DA2. I found Fenris annoying on my first playthrough because I chose to rival him, but he was much more tolerable when I friended him on my second playthough. I probably would hate Anders, but his rival path is really well written. Actually that is a good question, for all the characters did you rival them or friend them? That might have had some impact on your feelings for them. For me it was:
Bethany- Friend
Carver- Dead
Aveline- Friend
Varric- Friend
Merril- Rivalmance
Isabella- Rival
Fenris- Rival/Friend (preferred friend)
Anders- Rival
Sebastion- Friend/Rival (both were alright, going to import rival)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2014, 06:11:26 AM »

Remember how the developers of the shameful DA2 referred to Meryl as a "virginal girl next door"?
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »

Remember how the developers of the shameful DA2 referred to Meryl as a "virginal girl next door"?

trexrell
Kelt Warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2014, 05:27:55 PM »

I have been playing more and I have to say Meryl not so... bad lol. I mean that lightning is really saving my butt. Especially since I refuse to play at any lower difficulty than nightmare. I have to say though some design choices for the game are pretty silly. On some mission you can not go back for supplies and you are stuck fighting a boss or revanant with little health potions. The cool down on potions is ridiculous lol. I do enjoy the difficulty though. It kind of killed me when I had to bring it down to beat the Quanari.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »

It kind of killed me when I had to bring it down to beat the Quanari.

I had to do the same. He was beating my ass lol.

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »

It kind of killed me when I had to bring it down to beat the Quanari.

I had to do the same. He was beating my ass lol.

On nightmare, if you're playing a mage (and you should), you have to quaff a potion of damage reduction just before he hits 50% health and does his special cutscene grab attack with infinite range to survive.
After that, resume kiting him infinitely.
trexrell
Kelt Warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2014, 08:05:18 PM »

I do feel like that kind of made being a warrior kind of sucky in DA2. I'm a Tank and I practically do almost no damage. Than I use one of the mages and I feel like a god. Even Fenris (who is kinda cool you must admit) is not all that great. Even though I belt him to be the dps warrior.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2014, 08:55:14 PM »

I think we're seeing a lot of the overpowered mage archetype with Dragon Age and Divinity.  I love playing as a rogue, but the stealth mechanics are rarely worth it in this type of RPG and the damage output is usually focused on one character while a mage can crowd control and pull off massive damage on multiple targets. 

I always found I loved playing a thief or rogue in D&D until combat started.  I felt useless on the battlefield but loved sneaking into mansions and causing mischief.  Maybe that's why I love playing stealthy in games like Deus Ex and Dishonored, while the RPGs tend to focus on combat as the main source of gameplay.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2014, 09:56:27 PM »

I remember the writer of Merril basically writing that while Merril might appear to be typical Virginal Girl next door, she not as innocent and helpless as she may seem. She is a blood mage after all, and one whos strong enough not to fall prey to the demons she bargains with. This was in a thread bemoaning the use of "virginal girls" as love interests in Bioware games.

Please stop trying to take things out of context just to bash on DA2. DA2 had enough problems to complain about so there is no need to make things up.

I do feel like that kind of made being a warrior kind of sucky in DA2. I'm a Tank and I practically do almost no damage. Than I use one of the mages and I feel like a god. Even Fenris (who is kinda cool you must admit) is not all that great. Even though I belt him to be the dps warrior.

Your doing it wrong then. Spec as a Berserker Warrior and save your abilities for spike damage with cross class combos. My warrior was a near invincible tank that dished out comparable damage to a rogue.

@PaleRobbie
hey, I love stealth RPG games just as much. But a lot of people love playing Rogues in the dragon age series. They do the most single target damage of any class. In fact, they do so much damage that they one shot weak minions and devastate tougher boss monsters. In both games the stealth mechanic is the key to staying alive as a rogue. But stealth is more like an MMO where its used to de-aggro.

I think we see a lot of mages in action in the trailers and demos because spells are flashy and have important tactical uses. The most recent combat trailer shows a fire wall being used which blocks enemies from passing through it.

For anyone who miss the new combat trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYZw98f58Xo

Good news, the combat looks a lot more like Origins so rejoice.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:10:37 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2014, 07:15:57 AM »

bigdeath, did you play DA:O and DA2 at the highest difficulty setting?
Mages crush warriors and rogues.

In DA:O, they are the only class that can freeze then shatter enemies which makes most normal encounters a lot easier.
For bosses, with 3 mages, you can keep an eternal rotation of tanking with Force Field and thus not even once take damage (you Force Field your 4th member, which should be the rogue)

It's even worse in DA2 because of hit rating which makes warriors and rogues do full damage maybe once every 16 hits.
So your huge damage spike is lowered to 1/4 of its damage because you just keep doing glancing blows.
The hit rating needed to hit bosses is so retardedly high, that even having a full set of gear for hit rating won't change a thing.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:34:35 AM by Annubis » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2014, 10:03:30 AM »

The damage from a rogue who performing assassinate or constant backstabs is insanely high, but mages have near infinite crowd control if you spec them properly.  Especially in Origins, spells like Sleep, Nightmare and Blood Boil create so much chaos for opponents and keep your crew from even getting hit.  Two blood mages in Origins can basically beat the game on the highest difficulty without even taking damage.  It's kind of ridiculous and maybe shows a lack of spell and ability balance more than anything else. 
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2014, 11:09:59 AM »

I've played all classes in both games on nightmare so yeah, mages are much more OP in DA:O than DA 2. All you needed was a rooting spell and Inferno (2 mages to cast both spells simultaneously) and that wiped out most encounters.

DA2 was more balanced in this regard. Mage damage was tone down significantly, the big spike damage was reserve for cross class combos. My sword and shield warrior could one shot kill groups of mooks with the cross class combo "Disperse". Also, hit chance only effected auto (basic) attacks, talents would always hit for full damage.

That said, a warrior beserker that stacked haste and attack speed would attack so fast that hit chance was irrelevant. You would obliterate enemies in seconds and then regen your stamina from having killed an enemy because warriors are awesome like that. You would be dashing from enemy to enemy, exploding them in a few hits. Mages were still useful for crowd control and healing but they were no match for the damage my beserker warrior could dish out.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:12:48 AM by bigdeath » Logged
ferretwraith

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2014, 12:00:56 AM »

I think we're seeing a lot of the overpowered mage archetype with Dragon Age and Divinity...

I try not to be bothered by balance in single player games, but I find it real dumb when the class I pick has more of an impact on the difficulty of the game than the difficulty option.  My first time through DA:O on normal was with my MC as a bow user, Morrigan as a shapeshifter, and Wynne dead (three different times, reloaded twice, the third time she wanted me to kill her, I let the masochist stay dead).  It was one of the hardest games I have ever played.  That was the only time I beat the game, because nightmare difficulty with two mages in the group was easy to the point of being boring by comparison.

To slip in some optimism, I had fun with DA2, and expect to be very happy with DA3.

Vaporeon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2014, 07:16:13 AM »

New gameplay footage & trailer from Gamescom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuR2zMuUBaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHeWOQvVRd8

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:56:12 AM by Vaporeon » Logged
Deufo
The Duke

Three times faster

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2014, 01:40:33 AM »

I think i saw a glimpse of female Hawke in this new trailer. Still waiting to hear about the Warden though.

I'm currently contemplating if i'll play this on PC or PS3
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: