Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 04:41:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338195 Posts in 13845 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  I love Sony.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: I love Sony.  (Read 4200 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 03:43:59 AM »

So today has been a day for news o-O

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 05:30:46 AM »

I was pleased with the "No restrictions", they had me at "PS4 is region free".

I might actually get one at launch here.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 07:46:57 AM »

My Twitter feed is on fire with "Sony dropped the mic" and "Sony just introduced Microsoft to the Gimp" statements and others of that nature.  Wow. 

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 07:59:55 AM »

Also, the PS4 is fucking sexy
Dat Rhombus.

I like parallelogram better.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »

I'm pretty happy about this news, too.  I loved my X-Box but favored a PS3 over a 360 since I got into the game late (around this time last year) and the library was more to my liking, and this new information certainly cements my decision for the next round of systems.  I have no idea what Microsoft was thinking, really; those added 'features' on PC games annoy the hell out of users and cause a lot of Spite Piracy, including them on a console is insane.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:06:32 PM by Desert Walker » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 11:41:03 AM »

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 11:45:32 AM »

I finally saw that line on the slide everyone interpreted as "PS+ Required for online play," but I don't know. To me it seemed more like they were just saying PS+ members get access to their F2P MMO's like Dust and DCU.
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 01:03:54 PM »

Long time Sony PlayStation gamer. I watched the whole presentation last night through IGN. I liked the homage to the Vita in the beginning, but sadly for me no big game announcements for me to get excited about for the foreseeable future.

I'll def. be getting ps4 and passing on Xbox One though. I was glad to see Sony respecting their core gamers wishes on DRM, always online, used games purchases and so on. Huge kudos to them for the respect. The price announcement was better than expected for me as well. Nice design of the box as well. It looks thinner than the Xbox One, heh.

I was hoping to see more jrpgs announced, but I guess that'll come later. Also, glad Square-Enix resolved the FFVIII versus doubt by renaming the game to FFXV. Gameplay for that looks intriguing, but I'm sure there is still quite a wait to go for that.

I'd love to see a Ni No Kuni sequel on PS4, but I'm sure Level 5 has their hands busy with other games before approaching a follow-up. Go, Sony Go!

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 01:16:59 PM »

Jack Tretton, talking to Geoff Keighley just now, admitted the DRM free games only applies to games made by Sony. They ll allow 3rd party publishers to have DRM/online passes for their games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »

Jack Tretton, talking to Geoff Keighley just now, admitted the DRM free games only applies to games made by Sony. They ll allow 3rd party publishers to have DRM/online passes for their games.

It's what many of us expected (well, online passes is kind of a dick move when both require subscriptions now), it's basically what was said when they were asked about this before. And it's not inherently something that has to be avoided at all costs, it's a dick move for games that are single player focused, but for MMOs it's just standard operating procedure. And hopefully that's where we see the online activation or whatever keys, for games that have to be mainly played online anyway and are subscription dependent.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 02:23:35 PM »

Jim Sterling did a pretty good job of explaining why we shouldn't be freaking out over Tretton's comment:

http://www.destructoid.com/did-tretton-confirm-drm-on-ps4-after-all-not-quite--256052.phtml
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 03:17:09 PM »

So sony isn't screwing anyone. Leaving things the same as they are is fine by me. Now if publishers choose to be the enemy here....at least Sony made good on their end.

TASTY!
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 03:20:57 PM »

... yeah, and that isn't contrary to what they said at E3. They said that unlike Xbox one with PS4 you'll be able to trade/rent/sell disks freely and not be forced to sign in online for a single player game.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »

Yeah, you could argue maybe that Sony's complicit by not FORBIDDING it, but you get too heavy handed and you get problems, look at how there was no MMO for 360 after FFXI, it's taking until the X1 for that. Anyways, if we still get DRM hell I'd blame Microsoft, but I suspect without Sony providing a reliable backbone for constant online verification if anything happens on PS4 it'll probably just be activation keys with the disc being a glorified install disc, in which case PS4 STILL comes out ahead as I could at least play those offline post-download.

Though someone probably should ask about game downloads and how long I can play those offline, just to be safe. I don't think they'd demand dialing home, but it's just good to try avoiding assumptions.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 03:26:14 PM »

MS and Sony need to be on the same page for this DRM shit to work. Now Microsoft looks like a bunch of assholes. If they had just said, "No more used games, but we're going to have amazing sales and great deals all the goddamn time instead" I would have been on that so fast.

For Sony, in a way, keeping the old retail model seems strangely regressive instead of embracing the true benefits of this no-used-games approach--great value for the consumer.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:34:32 PM by Sagacious-T » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: