Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:58:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334849 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  I love Sony.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: I love Sony.  (Read 3910 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 03:33:23 PM »

Microsoft's solution to competing with PS+ is to offer two free games a month that can be bought for $10 or less because they came out ages ago. It seems pretty gullible to me to believe a company like that would discount digital games just because it is no longer cost-effective to trade them in or buy them used.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 03:36:40 PM »

Dat Rhombus.

I like parallelogram better.

You'd be right, too.  A rhombus would mean all sides are the same length, like a square.  It's not a rhombus.

(OK, technically it's not either because it's 3D, not 2D.  But I don't even know the name for the 3D equivalent...parallelogram prism?)

Sorry for being anal, you may now return to your regularly scheduled console wars.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 03:42:24 PM »

MS and Sony need to be on the same page for this DRM shit to work. Now Microsoft looks like a bunch of assholes. If they had just said, "No more used games, but we're going to have amazing sales and great deals all the goddamn time instead" I would have been on that so fast.

For Sony, in a way, keeping the old retail model seems strangely regressive instead of embracing the true benefits of this no-used-games approach--great value for the consumer.

Digital-only with decent sales is nice and all, but I will never embrace that completely. I rather see physical and digital media going on than getting rid of one for the other.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:06:51 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »

Size comparison - Xbone vs PS4.  Green is Xbone.  Apparently, it has an external power brick like the 360, too.  And the PS4 doesn't.  I like this.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 04:01:23 PM »

You really have to wonder why the Xbone is so big...they have practically the same SoC architecture.  The GDDR5 memory used in the PS4 generates more heat so if anything it's the one that would need more cooling.  Wired did a teardown of an Xbox One and it looks...fairly empty inside other than the one large heatsink/fan.  Very PC-like.  But PCs tend to have extra space because they use standardized, modular components that can be replaced by the user, and that's not the case here.  Unfortunately nobody has gotten the chance to tear a PS4 apart yet as far as I know, but if I compare it to my fat PS3 (which I had the 'pleasure' of working on...), there wasn't an inch of wasted space inside that thing.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »

For Sony, in a way, keeping the old retail model seems strangely regressive instead of embracing the true benefits of this no-used-games approach--great value for the consumer.

We have seen decent PSN sales though, I got Rayman Origin for about $10 last year and RE6 was just $15 a few weeks ago. Granted for pre-orders the PSN's kind of hosed usually, but they've had may solid or outright fantastic sales unlike Games of Demand, which seems to be full on pandering to retailers by NEVER allowing a same day digital release and almost always being absurdly expensive, one freak incident a few months back aside that was mostly involving very old games anyway.

Size comparison - Xbone vs PS4.  Green is Xbone.  Apparently, it has an external power brick like the 360, too.  And the PS4 doesn't.  I like this.

http://i.imgur.com/n3bWtwW.jpg

Bet the PS4 extends further back due to building in the power block. It's kind of amazing how much smaller it is, I wonder though if either Microsoft went overkill with cooling, or if Sony faltered there? Though I guess it's possible Sony went with a pretty good, efficient cooling setup, whereas Microsoft is deathly afraid of RROD v2 and so wants the system to be ice cold and durable.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:06:16 PM by Eusis » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 04:18:10 PM »

From what I read, Sony has few really good memory while MS went with tons of less good one.
That would be what's taking most of the xbone space.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 04:25:18 PM »

From what I read, Sony has few really good memory while MS went with tons of less good one.

Er, they have the same amount of memory...the memory interface is different, but the size of the chips is the same.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 04:33:25 PM »

That's based on outdated rumors when the PS4 was set to have 4 GB of GDDR5 and the X1 8 GB of DDR3. Then Sony announced 8 GDDR5 and really went all out.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 05:10:05 PM »

Here's a "leaked" video of the PS4 user interface and stuff.  Kind of.  I don't know, it's one of those things that has so many cuts and close-ups that it's hard to really get a feel for it.  But I guess it's something.

Also, I found the whole setup a bit cringe-worthy, but maybe that's just me.  Bad acting, trying way to hard to be cool young people or something, etc...

Edit:
Somebody had too much time on their hands:
https://sketchfab.com/show/b7LzIm8JrnPw4GBDOMBNGYc39qM
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:52:31 PM by Kevadu » Logged

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 08:06:47 PM »

It's kind of amazing to me how a couple of years ago everyone HATED Sony because of the whole PSN hacker crack (and then the PSN network being down for a MONTH!). It was so in and awesome to take a shit on Sony. Sony was the laughing stock of the gaming world!

How quickly times have changed!

I'm pretty stoked on getting a PS4 eventually. The Xbone though? Not so much.

Am I crazy that the power brick on the Xbone is the icing on the cake of hate for me. I HATE the Xbox360's power brick. I've never SEEN a brick as big as that one on ANYTHING. Even laptops and desktops!

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »

The PS4 might not restrict the sale of used games, but that probably doesn't mean that the publishers can't do that on their own, if they really wanted.

They definitely could, especially in a dedicated online game. However since, as far as I can tell, the console as a WHOLE isn't forced to be always online, they have fewer channels for being derpy.

Also thanks to Microsoft and EA's /stuff/ as of late there's probably going to be a marked stigma about going rampant with DRM on a system that's not really enforcing it.

It was so in and awesome to take a shit on Sony. Sony was the laughing stock of the gaming world!

Seems like Sony got their act together, whereas Microsoft is... starting to do the same kind of stuff that was making Sony have all those security issues in the first place.

24/7 internet connection + mandatory always-on webcam thingy + the kind of draconian DRM policies that just get hackers' jimmies a-rustlin' = you're going to get hacked and they're going to be some pretty malicious hacks.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2013, 08:33:15 PM »

And when Sony had their problem, it just meant no online play. If MS's Xbone servers were to go down like that, it'd mean no playing anything.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2013, 09:03:26 PM »

And when Sony had their problem, it just meant no online play. If MS's Xbone servers were to go down like that, it'd mean no playing anything.

Deep in the secret Anonymous mountain base:
"They're using an authentication server to give the OK flag for gameplay?"
"Yes, my master. it is a small network that also confirms OFW version."
"If we take this small network out, every One console will be turned into a brick. Let it be so. All your server are belong to us. Launch every DDoS!"

In homes across the nation:
"Wut? How I play CoD? omfgdfsgnisdklgn not kool, bro!"
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2013, 09:13:16 PM »

Not to put any doubt on the capabilities of Anonymous members, but unlike Sony, Microsoft kind of knows their way around network security. It would take a lot more effort to hack the Xbone network than the PS3's.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: