Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 11:21:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329795 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Square-Enix exploring the possibility of a modern turn-based Final Fantasy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Square-Enix exploring the possibility of a modern turn-based Final Fantasy  (Read 3776 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/square-wants-to-know-would-gamers-want-to-play-a-turn-based-current-gen-final-fantasy

"Here's a hypothetical question -- and this is just hypothetical, so don't read too much into this -- what if we were to take a game like, say, Final Fantasy VI that does have the ATB system but is basically command-based. What if we were to take that game and breathe new life into it? Make it into a current-gen game? Would users be OK with it in that turn-based style?" 

I say hell yes.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:31:12 PM »

FFVI MENTIONED.

Happiness.

To the actual point, I've said it before, but they'd have to create some crafty, fun, and creative gimmick for me to like turn-based battles these days.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:32:53 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:43:50 PM »

Very intelligent to mention FFVI in his/her question given how much of a sacred cow that game is in particular. :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:50:33 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »

He would have to reference my favorite game in the series. Sounds too good to be true so unless there's some kind of petition to sign, I'm going to try to forget about this.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:07:01 PM »

Very intelligent to mention FFVI in his/her question given how much of a sacred cow that game is in particular. :P

NUH UH.

.... But c'mon, it's like the...um, Casablanca of old-school gaming.  Viewers/players today don't really get it, but the one's of the past will never forget what made it great.  Hell.  They could take their pick of a remake, I just hate that I-IV* got remake treatment when it really starts getting good after that.

*FF4 got beaten like a dead horse to that effect.

EspCru is right though, I'm gonna forget about this meanwhile.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »

@Dice that's because FF6 is much grander in scale than any of the games before it.

Why can't you enjoy a turn based combat system anymore? Wouldn't it be awesome to have a system that switches seamlessly from exploration to combat? And boss battles could be all Advent Children-like, with each choice the player takes activating a different set of semi-scripted action.  There's a lot of innovation with new technology that they can do with turn-based gameplay.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 10:15:33 PM »

I love a good turn-based game, but very often they're not that good.  Either they're too easy and present no real challenge (as much as I love FFVI it falls into this category...), or the 'challenge' consists entirely of grinding because the decisions you can make just aren't as important as your stats.  It's important to present the player with multiple viable options and force him/her to make tough decisions.

Honestly, one of my favorite modern turn-based systems is what Falcom uses in the Kiseki series.  I love the fact that all your abilities are actually useful and as the game goes on you get more viable options rather than just replacing weak attacks with stronger versions, etc.  I love the importance of positioning (without going full SRPG), the use of tank skills, the options for turn manipulating, etc.  It's a really deep system.  Battles can be challenging without feeling cheap.  Make more games like that.

ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 12:17:44 AM »

FFVI remade would make me break anything for. I'd kill a child. I'd even buy an Xbox One. I don't care. They could DRM the fuck out of and I'd eat it up. This, Shining Force I-III, and the actual non O Phantasy Star games. I will admit to being an utter consumer whore in these regards.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 01:03:18 AM »

i think there was some underutilized things in FFX's battle system. i would kill for that but dont care for ff6 remake.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 01:07:58 AM »

There's already X, X-2, and soon to be X-HD. Let us FFVI fans have out chance, damn it.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 02:27:38 AM »

Hell to the yes. I want that thing happen.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 03:35:41 AM »

There's already X, X-2, and soon to be X-HD. Let us FFVI fans have out chance, damn it.

I'm pretty sure they don't have any changes besides HDifying though, even with 10 being horribly unbalanced and desperately needing a decrease in encounter rates/grinding.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 03:42:25 AM »

I'm pretty sure they don't have any changes besides HDifying though, even with 10 being horribly unbalanced and desperately needing a decrease in encounter rates/grinding.

Kefka and Opera House in full HD, fried octopus, sand in my boots, suplexing an entire train... I'm sorry. Your rebalance can wait.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 04:08:41 AM »

A lot of gamers today never experienced FF6. It was even old for a lot of the FF7 crowd.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 06:29:53 AM »

Do I want a remake? No.

Do I want a modern FF with a turn based battle system?

Hell yes.

Not every game needs to be an action RPG

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: