Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 10:53:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341054 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Square-Enix exploring the possibility of a modern turn-based Final Fantasy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Square-Enix exploring the possibility of a modern turn-based Final Fantasy  (Read 4774 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 05:00:27 AM »

I really liked how the turn based system worked in Blue Dragon, where depending on actions and accuracy an attack/move could come earlier or later in the queue. I think an advanced system of this choice-queueing would make a fantastic turn based battle system without having to be ATB.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 06:33:08 AM »

I have to say my favorite ATB system of all time is Grandia/Grandia II. Get the timing right for different enemies, pick which attacks to use to damage or delay them or skills to speed your party... and also, fresh ground hamburger.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 06:39:06 AM »

anyone that thinks x-2 battle system is better than X....rose tinted glasses

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 08:06:38 AM »

I really liked how the turn based system worked in Blue Dragon, where depending on actions and accuracy an attack/move could come earlier or later in the queue. I think an advanced system of this choice-queueing would make a fantastic turn based battle system without having to be ATB.

Perhaps something like Chrono Cross, with more variation in how much stamina actions would take. I hear a lot of people didn't like Cross's battle system in retrospect and I've never really understood why that is the case (The problem with the game was more with the inconsistent difficulty).
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 10:23:46 AM »

anyone that thinks x-2 battle system is better than X....rose tinted glasses

I find them a bit too different to compare that effectively.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 10:32:54 AM »

GUYS! You know what game has the BEST turn-based battle system?

KINGDOM HEARTS!

...more specifically, Kingdom Hearts: Re-Coded. Each world offers a different KH experience, Traverse Town has a sidescrolling area, Wonderland a shmup, and the entire Coliseum area is a turn-based RPG. The system they use is very similar to the Paper Mario games with the QTE prompts for powering up attacks, but with two key differences.

First, there's an element of randomness with the QTE events. Perform them well enough and there's a chance the character will perform a special move. Also, you can stack abilities in a queue and perform them all at once, sometimes combining them into a special attack.

It is stupid amounts of fun.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »

I really liked the system in FFX but I'm going to have to second Grandia 2. It just flowed perfectly.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »

Would a modern RPG with turn-based gameplay be able to sell well these days? That's what it comes down too, and I think gamers as a whole have been too meshed into the action RPG style for turn-based to hold a modern audience's attention.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 02:41:07 PM »

I really liked the system in FFX but I'm going to have to second Grandia 2. It just flowed perfectly.

The game was awkward as hell, but man did battles and boss battle feel good.

Would a modern RPG with turn-based gameplay be able to sell well these days? That's what it comes down too, and I think gamers as a whole have been too meshed into the action RPG style for turn-based to hold a modern audience's attention.

I question that myself; and I mean beyond the old-school peeps who have no problem with that, do younger gamers feel the same way?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 09:09:37 AM »

It would obviously sell to "oldheads" who grew up with that play style.  It may not be mainstream level sales, but it's consistent sales.  And it could appeal to a certain sect of modern gamers since the whole "retro trend" is still really "in" these days.  I myself prefer turn-based since I don't have very good twitch reflexes for action games, but I'm also a lot older than I look, act, and seem. 

I agree that we as a populace are a lot more "ADD" these days, but a good turn-based system can hold peoples' attention.  Battles are always fun in Grandia games.  Combo systems like in Valkyrie Profile or Xenogears (well the human battles at least) appeal to ADD tendencies since you're not pressing the same button all the time. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Zalrus9

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 08:02:35 PM »

I'm a big fan of turn-based combat. HOWEVER, I do think there is a need to innovate. Let me tell you a story.

So, I love Final Fantasy IX. I remember playing it on my PS2 for many loving hours. When it came out on the PSN, I got it, no questions asked. I love the atmosphere, the characters, the music. Love love love. However, after about a disk or so, I realized that FF IX just seems monotonous. Go through a dungeon. Kill some monsters. Fight a boss. Wait! Steal from it first! Rinse, repeat. sigh... I do not regret playing that game again, but it needs to innovate.

Now take a more recent turn-based game, Radient Historia. Love that combat! What I like about it is that each battle is a mini-puzzle of how to get the dudes into one square and waste those fools. I don't want to come off as an Atlus fanboy, but they have turn-based combat down pat, and if Square wants to innovate in that direction, that's great! I really liked the stuff they've come up with in the past (FF IX nonwithstanding), and anything that lets me have options in combat will be a win!

Now if only they could go back to good old character-driven dramas, rather than be all JRPG-Save-the-world-blah-blah-something-something... A man can dream...

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 06:10:33 AM »

Now if only they could go back to good old character-driven dramas, rather than be all JRPG-Save-the-world-blah-blah-something-something...

You got all wrong.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:06:03 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 07:50:25 AM »

I'd actually argue the battle systems in Grandia Xtreme, and then Grandia 3 far exceeded Grandia 2's. 3's in particular was some of the smoothest flowing combat with the greatest timing-rewards system of the lot between the Counter-Strike, Movement based dodging, and Aerial Combos being honed to perfection. The only major downfall was Magic being either borderline useless or game breaking over powered. The system itself probably wasn't able to be appreciated in full though simply because the creature-statting/encounter-logic for 3 was poorly executed after the early-game, so what may've been perceived as a weaker battle system was actually just poor tactical decisions/power curve management.

Although in terms of the Magic system Grandia Xtreme felt like the only one who ever got it right. Grandia required far too much grinding for crappy rewards in the form of 'meh' magic. Grandia 2 magic was so useless I never used it outside of the healing spells. Grandia Xtreme has a perfect ratio of magic power-to-usefulness if you don't egg grind as soon as you can and you don't dink around with your fusions (intentionally creating bad eggs).
Zalrus9

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 01:51:33 PM »

Now if only they could go back to good old character-driven dramas, rather than be all JRPG-Save-the-world-blah-blah-something-something...

You got all wrong.

What did I get wrong? I guess in the beginning, the "save the world" was the thing, but even in that, Final Fantasy VI had a variety of well-rounded characters with their own journeys that are somewhat removed from the overarching story, but still affected by it. I'm not against plot, but I feel the characters should always come first.

Now I don't want to derail the OT, so that is all I will say for now.

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »

grandia 3's battle system was an abomination compared to grandia 2.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: