Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 01:24:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329490 Posts in 13500 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Square-Enix exploring the possibility of a modern turn-based Final Fantasy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Square-Enix exploring the possibility of a modern turn-based Final Fantasy  (Read 3744 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 02:48:10 PM »

Rose tinted glasses. ;-P
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 03:50:41 PM »

Rose tinted glasses. ;-P

Well if you're admitting to wearing rose tinted glasses when looking at G3, you should take them off so that you can fully appreciate the wonderful masterpiece of smooth flowing battle and carefully planned attacks that is G2.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2013, 06:16:04 AM »

------>Ironic Echo

0<------Head
      \ | /
        |
       / \
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »

Grandia 3 is bad. The battle system is not. It flows well, is exciting and the big problems with it mostly stem from a bizarre difficulty curve that looks like the Himalayas.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2013, 01:38:19 PM »

What did I get wrong? I guess in the beginning, the "save the world" was the thing, but even in that, Final Fantasy VI had a variety of well-rounded characters with their own journeys that are somewhat removed from the overarching story, but still affected by it. I'm not against plot, but I feel the characters should always come first.

Mostly every has something like that to some effect. If you don't like the way is done that's an entirely different discussion.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2013, 05:22:39 AM »

Grandia 3 is bad. The battle system is not. It flows well, is exciting and the big problems with it mostly stem from a bizarre difficulty curve that looks like the Himalayas.

Yep yep. Pretty much the most direct comparison I can make is to ye olden D&D-style tabletop games. The battle systems (for the most part) are tried, tested, true, and quite fun. However you'll every so often get the DM who things "Dur; let's throw a CR 10 Flying monster against a Level 3 party with no Ranger." Just because the man running the monsters is a dodo doesn't make the actual system mechanics inferior to another game. XD
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2013, 07:21:09 AM »

the battle system in grandia 3 is utter garbage due to slight changes that were made such as nerfing the effect of critical. as a result its better to just over power enemies rather than fight with good tactics.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2013, 05:22:52 PM »

My experience with D&D-style systems has been mixed, I didn't really get that much into the Baldur's Gate games.

My experience with the Grandia games has mostly been positive in spite of story problems.

I would like to see a modern turn-based FF especially if they used X as a model.

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2013, 09:40:41 PM »

Yeah, its fast and responsive (if you enter stuff in fast enough it could feel like an action game for you :p) but it doesn't rely on quick reflexes or QTEs to succeed in battle.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2013, 01:20:49 PM »

All this X praise and X and X-2 are the only FF games I've missed... so I picked them up today and am starting X now.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »

All this X praise and X and X-2 are the only FF games I've missed... so I picked them up today and am starting X now.

You know that the HD versions are coming pretty soon, right?

ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2013, 02:26:53 PM »

You know that the HD versions are coming pretty soon, right?

Yeah, I had been waiting on that but I stopped in to buy another controller for my wife since her last one suffered puppy-death and saw my local game store had them both for $5. Did some tests with my PS2 and have it looking fairly nice. I actually enjoyed XII (other than the story) so I want to play with the sphere grid while I have some time off. Plan to grab the HD versions for Vita when they're out.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:43:16 PM by zMKnightz » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: