Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:25:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332818 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  [Kickstarter] Celestian Tales: Old North (JRPG)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Celestian Tales: Old North (JRPG)  (Read 688 times)
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2014, 07:36:43 PM »

I know, I know, another Kickstarter game but figure this one might appeal to some people here.  And they have a very brief pre-alpha demo that you can try out. 

Celestian Tales: Old North:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ekuatorgames/celestian-tales-old-north-redefining-the-classic-r

While it has a classic JRPG art style, I like that the developers seem to be steering away from a lot of the JRPG cliches; no whiny amnesiac chosen one kid with daddy issues here.  Also, another interesting idea is that the story will span three decades, so the six playable characters will age as the story progresses.  Ultimately the player has a hand in how the characters mature and it's much less linear than the typical JRPG. 

The battle system is JRPG style turn-based but with some twists that make it more interesting than the select normal attack over and over again that persists in many turn-based JRPGs.

For instance: Special attacks / spells are handled by "SP" which is restored by performing successful actions in combat.  Defending gives a character 2 SP, so there is actually a reason to defend. 
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:23:27 PM »

Hmm....

This looks familiar.

At least it looks better than before.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 01:46:05 AM »

Another day, another Kickstarter. Lucky for them that they almost met their goal, oh hey yeah I remember them. Good, I was hoping to see this idea get finalized.

It's pretty refreshing to see stretch goals that are pretty modest, just simple stuff like an expansion, better graphics and animations. At least I know they have a plan, unlike others which don't know what to do with half of the money.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 02:01:36 AM »

Damn those Ragnarok Online-based sprites are nice.

Love the background art, and even the profile picture art.  Not too crazy about the logo art.

Anyways yay.  Hope they meet their goal and design the game of their dreams.  I definitely think more games should try spanning a story over a few decades, it's a great way to see things change and develop.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »

I definitely think more games should try spanning a story over a few decades, it's a great way to see things change and develop.

Yeah.  I liked the storyline spanning three generations in Phantasy Star III.  Sure, the rest of the game wasn't that great (I disliked the grainy graphics, grainy music, and plodding gameplay) but that multi-generational story was fantastic.  I especially liked that the storyline branched off depending on who each protagonist married. 

The only other RPG I can recall playing multiple generations is Record of Agarest War 2, and while that game, as a whole, was surprisingly good, I felt that the generational aspect could have been better done.  Unlike PhanStar III, the protagonist was always the same regardless of chosen bride; the only difference was in stats.  I thought this was a cop-out. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 07:46:54 AM »

I really like this project on a conceptual level. I like having multiple main characters. I like having the game spread 30 years. I like the idea of shaping the world through choices. I'm unsure however whether I actually think this team can pull off a quality game with those aspects. Probably will back eventually, but I don't when I'll get around to it or how much I'll be in for.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 01:54:11 PM »

I definitely think more games should try spanning a story over a few decades, it's a great way to see things change and develop.

Yeah.  I liked the storyline spanning three generations in Phantasy Star III.  Sure, the rest of the game wasn't that great (I disliked the grainy graphics, grainy music, and plodding gameplay) but that multi-generational story was fantastic.  I especially liked that the storyline branched off depending on who each protagonist married. 

The only other RPG I can recall playing multiple generations is Record of Agarest War 2, and while that game, as a whole, was surprisingly good, I felt that the generational aspect could have been better done.  Unlike PhanStar III, the protagonist was always the same regardless of chosen bride; the only difference was in stats.  I thought this was a cop-out. 

To be fair, this sounds a lot more like Dragon Quest V rather than PS3 where you're running the same guy over different periods of his life.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 04:23:30 PM »

Either way, it's a mechanic that hasn't been used often enough.  I can dig the idea of a character truly developing veneration.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 12:36:47 PM »

Another day, another Kickstarter. Lucky for them that they almost met their goal, oh hey yeah I remember them. Good, I was hoping to see this idea get finalized.

It's pretty refreshing to see stretch goals that are pretty modest, just simple stuff like an expansion, better graphics and animations. At least I know they have a plan, unlike others which don't know what to do with half of the money.

Yeah, it's nice to see they're taking a pretty realistic approach to their goals.  It's already a pretty ambitious game concept and good to see they're not going overboard with promising too many new features for the sake of getting more funding.   Many KS game campaigns end up promising a lot of exciting *sounding* additional features but then run into the problem of delaying the game far beyond the original estimate or even having to split the game into parts when that wasn't or do Early Access for many months when that wasn't the original plan..  Which causes people to get upset and have doubts about the project and crowdfunding in general.  At some point developers just need to reign it in and say "we'll save that for the sequel / expansion". 

Update:  Celestian tales has reached their funding goal with a whole 3 weeks to go work towards their stretch goals!  Man I wish all the projects I backed would do so well.   

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:04:55 PM by daved » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: