Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 06:22:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319791 Posts in 13049 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Magus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Magus  (Read 1913 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2013, 04:40:51 AM »

I didn't see a thread, but with all of the bustle of E3, it might have been overlooked.

RPGFan's announcement:
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2013/1396.html

A partial summary for those too lazy to open the link:
. . .The arrival of a new prisoner called Kinna leads to Magus escaping and learning to control his new powers, known as chroma magic. Chroma magic allows absorption and manipulation of powers from the colors green, red, and purple. Players will be able to direct the evolution of Magus' powers, choosing to specialize in one type of magic or become a jack-of-all-trades.

Siliconera expanded a bit and said that he absorbs powers from the current environment (and also that it's running on the Unreal 3 engine).

I think it sounds interesting, and definitely means that the environment will be a big factor.  That is, if everything works the way the developers plan for it to.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 06:28:12 AM »

PS3.......

Interesting. Are we going to see Aksys do what Atlus did last gen and publish on the next to last platform for a while because it costs less?

Aksys generally puts out interesting stuff, so this could be cool.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:35:40 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 06:36:12 AM »

Good question, I had to look it up.

The RPGFan article doesn't say, but Siliconera says Playstation 3 only.  It doesn't mention 360 but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out yet.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 06:51:49 AM »

Good question, I had to look it up.

The RPGFan article doesn't say, but Siliconera says Playstation 3 only.  It doesn't mention 360 but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out yet.

Yeah, sorry, I looked it up myself and changed my post.

I'd be okay with Aksys releasing some niche stuff for PS3 if it's cheap for them to do.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 09:49:16 AM »

MOTHERFUCKER!!!

I was working on a game that was built around the concept of pulling power from the environment to turn a weakling into a temporary hero.

MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Oh well, at least from the sound of it I can point to them swiping the idea from either FFVIII or Quest 64 (even if everybody else is going to point at my swiping the idea from Magus now). Plus, I still have the grid based movement and time based objective elements to work with.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »

Well, if it's any consolation, I liked Quest 64.
I don't think I've ever seen an RPG that was as simple, yet, I didn't mind it.
It was just like taking a nap in the shade on a warm summer day while the cicadas chirp softly in the distance.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:38:49 PM by Annubis » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 04:24:04 PM »

I hated Quest 64 with a fiery passion of a thousand suns.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 01:00:47 PM »

Necro-bumping because we finally have new information to post.

And by information I mean a sort-of-trailer with wordswordswords, logos, and something resembling graphics.
http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/21/magus-coming-to-ps3-in-2014from-aksys-and-black-tower-studios/
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 07:46:46 PM »

Is that the main character in the trailer? He's very, uh, generic looking. Actually, he looks like the kind of random NPC that fill taverns in The Witcher. Hope those are not final graphics.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 09:18:35 PM »

Honestly, that was my thought as well. He's very bland.

I don't particularly care about the graphics, but really, his design is just abysmal.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 09:29:57 PM »

How can you look at this and not think protagonist? You have a medieval bald spache mahrein and his 'is she supposed to be hot?' female sidekick.

I have nothing to worry about from this game after all.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:29:43 PM »

I'm hoping he'll be customizable.

Really, the idea sounds incredibly promising and I'd like to support Aksys, but I think I'm going to need more convincing.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 10:35:35 PM »

I like Aksys but I'm not going to support crap just because it has their name on it...

Edit: Just for the heck of it I checked out the game's website.  Even that seems half-assed...

From the Gameplay section:
There are three different kinds of magic present in the game: red, blue, and green.

Each magic type has a Basic spell and a much more powerful Strong spell; alternate between the two depending on the situation to destroy all of those foolish enough to stand against you.

You can absorb magic from the colored gems and stones scattered throughout the world.

Once your powers are charged, you can go on the offensive. Basic magic spells do the least amount of damage to enemies, but do not use Mana.

Strong magic spells do significantly more damage than the Basic spells. While they do not use Mana either, these types of spells take longer to cast and have a cool down period before they can be used again.

So what the heck is mana for?!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:44:05 PM by Kevadu » Logged

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 12:26:33 AM »

I'm hoping he'll be customizable.

Really, the idea sounds incredibly promising and I'd like to support Aksys, but I think I'm going to need more convincing.

If there is, I wouldn't be surprised if you can choose how far you can turn this guy's 5-o'clock shadow into a full on stubble. The armor will of course have a spikes-to-defense ratio where the more spikes and gold lines it has, the better the defense rating. Bonus points if the shoulders and leggings get big enough to look like it came from Warhammer 40k.

I like Aksys but I'm not going to support crap just because it has their name on it...

Edit: Just for the heck of it I checked out the game's website.  Even that seems half-assed...

From the Gameplay section:
There are three different kinds of magic present in the game: red, blue, and green.

Each magic type has a Basic spell and a much more powerful Strong spell; alternate between the two depending on the situation to destroy all of those foolish enough to stand against you.

You can absorb magic from the colored gems and stones scattered throughout the world.

Once your powers are charged, you can go on the offensive. Basic magic spells do the least amount of damage to enemies, but do not use Mana.

Strong magic spells do significantly more damage than the Basic spells. While they do not use Mana either, these types of spells take longer to cast and have a cool down period before they can be used again.

So what the heck is mana for?!

Judging by the screenshot here, I'd say to have three additional ugly, half-assed looking UI bars beneath the ugly, half-assed looking health bar.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 12:31:12 AM »

That doesn't tell me what it's for!

Maybe I should just trim out everything except the relevant quotes:

"Each magic type has a Basic spell and a much more powerful Strong spell"

"Basic magic spells do the least amount of damage to enemies, but do not use Mana"

"Strong magic spells do significantly more damage than the Basic spells. While they do not use Mana either..."

There's only two types, Basic and Strong.  And neither one uses mana...so why do they keep talking about mana?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: