Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 29, 2015, 11:37:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
344146 Posts in 14048 Topics by 2230 Members
Latest Member: BeoXXVI
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Approaching DLC. Advice/Help please.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Approaching DLC. Advice/Help please.  (Read 227 times)
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:48:28 PM »

This is specifically about Shadow of Mordor for me ATM, but is a problem that seems to rise in just about every game I play with substantial DLC content so I'm posing the question generally.

How the hell do I know when to download and engage DLC levels. Is there some general standard? Do I just guess? Will they only open at the appropriate point whilst playing through the title so I'll know when its OK to engage them? I never know. Checking the internet for answers only yields spoilers.

This is the biggest problem I have with the "age of DLC" and it really compromised my ability to enjoy the additional content of Borderlands 2. So how do you guys approach a game like Shadow of Mordor with like a half dozen DLC levels available for purchase without any indication as to which to buy first, what order to play them or when. I know this answer is going to be more or less on a game by game basis, but with the problem being a general one I'm just sort of curious how you guys go about addressing it.

(CASE AND POINT/ THE PROBLEM) Borderlands 2 DLC gives no indication of when to tackle them, save the level of the enemies which is ENTIRELY misleading. Some additional content would lead you to believe you should tackle them mid-game but contain big end game narrative spoilers. This has left me with a DLC-phobia. Help.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »

Unfortunately, there is no real standard as to how DLC is involved. The closest thing one can expect with handling DLC is that you have to go into the game itself for the option to be available. Typically the option for DLC will either be on the Game Start/Options menu or integrated within the game itself. As for seeing the difference in what's affected by DLC, the best advice I can give is to play without it the first time around and then pick it up afterwards if you feel like you're missing something (or find a guide on GameFAQs).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 01:14:20 AM »

You could maybe try going by the dates they were released?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 07:50:11 AM »

DLC usually is just an offset to the main story, a way to keep you in the game that you enjoyed so thorougly. That being said, if you like the game a lot and wanna keep playing, buy the dlc. It's just there to keep you playing after the main story is finished.

TASTY!
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 07:54:34 PM »

You could maybe try going by the dates they were released?

That is actually brilliant. An obvious and logical approach that totally makes sense, no wonder I didn't think of it.

Unfortunately, there is no real standard as to how DLC is involved. The closest thing one can expect with handling DLC is that you have to go into the game itself for the option to be available. Typically the option for DLC will either be on the Game Start/Options menu or integrated within the game itself. As for seeing the difference in what's affected by DLC, the best advice I can give is to play without it the first time around and then pick it up afterwards if you feel like you're missing something (or find a guide on GameFAQs).
DLC usually is just an offset to the main story, a way to keep you in the game that you enjoyed so thorougly. That being said, if you like the game a lot and wanna keep playing, buy the dlc. It's just there to keep you playing after the main story is finished.

This was more or less my fear, and IMO the ultimate flaw in the DLC model for a gamer like me. Even some of my favorite titles rarely coax me into caring to play beyond the closure of the credits. In a perfect world, I feel like in game flags and notices that it as an appropriate time to engage DLC that ties into the narrative would be a great boon and selling point. In other words, if I got to "X" point and met "Y" character with notice that an accompanying quest could be purchased with focus on "Y" in the exclusive "Z" environment, the X Y Z combo would totally entice me into happily opening my wallet. I wonder why this bait tactic isn't a more common thing, if it is a thing at all.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: