Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:28:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334722 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdom Hearts Rookie
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts Rookie  (Read 3018 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »

Take my words with a grain of salt as my patience with the series has its ups and downs but making it as simple as I can:
- Forget KH1. Some like, some love it, I personally played over 10 hours back when it was released but the camera, the controls and some other stuff made this interesting world a bore to explore.
- KH2 I might give it another chance myself in the future. The beginning is slow, and since I was a little skeptical I never gave it much chance. Maybe when this new HD version is released, if I can buy only KH2 on PSN I might . give it a try.
- Birth by Sleep is by far my biggest surprise. I don't even know what I had when I decided to play this when I wasn't even caring for KH anymore and I'm glad I did. The game is awesome, even with one analog less the game plays batter than KH 1 and 2 with 2 analogs. The plot is a mess is always but still enjoyable.

That's my take on the series.
I liked Dice's advice, and I think I'd stand by it. Skip 1, try 2 or Birth By Sleep, and maybe another if you happen to like it.

I personally might try KH3D someday but I think I'll wait a little more, at least when I feel like when I'm in the mood for it.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »

Never said I wasn't exposed to them, just that I don't particularly like them ;)

Same. I was a Star Wars/Muppets kid.

Haha I was all opposite when I was kid. I *only* did movies, very rarely was I actually into a TV series (my bother was crazy about Sesame Street in his youngest years, I couldn't care less and loved any...VHS at the time...man, I just remembered you had to REWIND those things each time).

I'm with Dice, it really shocks me that some English speakers (and even non-English speakers, considering Disney's been dubbed in most major languages) weren't exposed to Disney growing up.  Everyone I knew, including the boys, loved it.

Back when I was in JK, SK, and the first few grades of Grade School, our school was the same.  I'm pretty sure like all of us saw Nightmare Before Christmas and Lion King in those years.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »

- Forget KH1. Some like, some love it, I personally played over 10 hours back when it was released but the camera, the controls and some other stuff made this interesting world a bore to explore.

I've never got into the series, but I remember reading that in the HD re-release for PS3 they fixed the camera (or it was the entire controls?) to work more like KH II I believe.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »

I've never got into the series, but I remember reading that in the HD re-release for PS3 they fixed the camera (or it was the entire controls?) to work more like KH II I believe.

They did :D

I watched the trailer just now.  Hearing the theme got me wondering if they were gonna hit Utada with enough money to get over the issues she had with Disney for a final theme song.
I adore the KHI and KHII songs....but both have been used for the better part of 10 years.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:45:25 PM by Dice » Logged

Daedalus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 06:14:10 PM »

I'm going to give KH1 and KH2 a shot.  I don't have any mobile devices so we'll see what I think of the series after I play through those two.

"This is your fault. I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone. You don't even care, do you?"
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 06:39:10 PM »

I had great fun playing through the main series. The plot is all over the place but I still had a blast playing them. I only played Chain of Memories for the GBA but from what I remember it was pretty good, although pretty short. The second half was pretty cool too.

I thought Birth by Sleep was great and definitely my favourite among the non main titles. 358/2 was fun to play but the repetitive nature kind of dragged on a bit for me. I never really tried the multiplayer though. Have not had a chance to play re: Coded or Dream Drop Distance yet.

Only thing that I didn't really like about the games were certain optional places such as the 100 acre woods.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 07:15:01 PM »

Never said I wasn't exposed to them, just that I don't particularly like them ;)

I was totally on the star wars/muppets side of the coin... now why is it those two go hand in hand? strange...

Any-hoo I apparently suffered some fear of sesame street and disney cartoons as a kid (according to my parents). When I was very young and they would try to show me either, I would cry from what I was told.

That being said, I play on trumping my childhood aversion this year with the HD remake! Or at least giving it an effort finally.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 07:27:30 PM »

I like the gameplay of the KH games, but the story...not so much, which to me resembles bad crossover fanfiction. It would be forgivable if they were actually funny, and I think that the cast of the games asking to be taken seriously is asking a bit too much.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 01:11:35 AM »

If they fixed the controls, I'm inclined in seeing it with better eyes this time.
One thing I remember I wanted so much was the ability to map stuff to the L and R buttons. I still remember how pissed I was in some bosses when you need to run away from the boss and trying to heal at the same time, because if I'm not mistaken, you have to choose your spells with the d-pad while running around. I can see that in PSP where you have a lot less buttons but on the ps2 it got on my nerves.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 03:23:50 AM »

I was totally on the star wars/muppets side of the coin... now why is it those two go hand in hand? strange...

Yoda?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »

Now that I've gotten a chance, I've played KH Dream Drop Distance, and that game has annoying controls. I do like the flowmotion system, it really spices up combat, and I hope it returns in 3. The story still is a pain though.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 10:56:01 AM »

If they fixed the controls, I'm inclined in seeing it with better eyes this time.
One thing I remember I wanted so much was the ability to map stuff to the L and R buttons. I still remember how pissed I was in some bosses when you need to run away from the boss and trying to heal at the same time, because if I'm not mistaken, you have to choose your spells with the d-pad while running around. I can see that in PSP where you have a lot less buttons but on the ps2 it got on my nerves.

BBS at least made it a roulette, so you'd have a magic button and a seperate attack button, and when you used magic, it'd option the next spell on the list (it still made selecting spells, like "Heal" for example, a pain in the ass if you were dying right at that very moment....but it was still 1000x better than hitting up a separate d-pad menu for it.... why didn't they keep that method??)

Again though, one of my favorites was the amount of battle mechanics in BBS.  If you ran out of spells, you could use shot lock, and hopefully when that was used up, you could go into your Super Armor and wreck some further hell.

I did like 3D's gimmicks for Flowmotion too.  Not as effective as the ones BBS had, but still a fun adjunct to throw the actual level as part of the play field.  I'm surprised they didn't keep Shot Lock though... one of my *favorite* things about Zelda Ocarina of Time for the 3DS was using the bow and arrow by moving the 3DS system around --- would have been awesome to use this time around too.

Zalrus9

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 05:44:48 PM »

HAHA! And now your friendly overlord Disney owns them all, along with your little Marvel too!

But seriously, I would say KH II is the best to start out with, as it has a faster start-up period, but KH I has less of a dumb anime story and more of a general simple story. I think KH DDD has the best soundtrack of all of them, but that's because they use music from fantasia.

Although, since you're not as big of a disney fan, go with KH II. It's got Tron, PotC, and FF VII.

Also, sorry if I seem too snarky. I really enjoyed my time with Kingdom Hearts, and if you keep an open mind, you will too, perhaps. Possibly.

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »

HAHA! And now your friendly overlord Disney owns them all, along with your little Marvel too!

Yes. It's not something I'm particularly happy about.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 06:43:19 PM »

We're slowly shifting into the Buy n Large world in Wall-E.
Within 100 years, Disney will own all entertainment, even anime.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: