Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 10:44:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332046 Posts in 13603 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star Universe
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star Universe  (Read 8854 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 09:31:50 AM »

Has anyone seen any reviews on this yet? I checked Gamerankings, and theres nothing at all. I find this odd, as most games have lots of reviews posted at release time.
As I'm only interested in the off-line portion, reviews are pretty important to me on this one.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 01:15:41 PM »

Any Canadians having trouble registering for a PSU license? o_O I get all the way through the reg process, then it gives me an error 170.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 03:26:19 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"
Has anyone seen any reviews on this yet? I checked Gamerankings, and theres nothing at all. I find this odd, as most games have lots of reviews posted at release time.
As I'm only interested in the off-line portion, reviews are pretty important to me on this one.

I'm with you on the importance of the off-line portion of the game.  Game-brink has a review, but it mostly focuses on the online part.  I've been doing a lot of internet surfing, checking various forums and what not.  From what I gather, the offline part (story mode) is around 20-30hrs.  Many are stressing that the online part of the game is "where it's at" and that the offline part mainly serves to get players aquainted with the controls for the online part.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 04:46:15 PM »

Quote from: "CluelessWonder"
Quote from: "GrimReality"

I'm with you on the importance of the off-line portion of the game.  Game-brink has a review, but it mostly focuses on the online part.  I've been doing a lot of internet surfing, checking various forums and what not.  From what I gather, the offline part (story mode) is around 20-30hrs.  Many are stressing that the online part of the game is "where it's at" and that the offline part mainly serves to get players aquainted with the controls for the online part.

Yes, but the whole idea behind Universe was that the offline portion was supposed to be a lot more substantial than that of the original PSO. If it's just a primer for online play, then I'm not going to bother.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 05:08:20 PM »

I disagree. The offline mode stands on its own as a fine game.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 05:11:57 PM »

I'm sure the reviews will start coming out soon.  Make your decision then.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 05:51:54 PM »

I think most of the people saying that were hardcore PSO freaks, and don't really give a damn about playing it offline at all. Though gameplay, it really does feel like a warm up to online, story wise there's enough meat to make it comparable to other RPGs... So far, at least. I'll be a better jduge of when I'm through with it, but I'm at the start of chapter 4, so it looks good anyway.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 06:39:20 PM »

Well, as someone who's playing the game strictly for the offline parts, I'm enjoying it ~10 hours into it and in chapter 5.  The only thing I'm really NOT liking is the game crashing without warning every couple hours on the PC version, with the error message almost instantly disabling itself so I can't figure out how to fix the damn thing.  Worse than that, I'm not having much luck finding help on a similar topic on the official PSU boards since they're mostly crashing on installation and whatnot.  This combined with somewhat infrequent save points in later chapters kind of pisses me off. :p

The plot's fairly disjointed due to the episodic format, but no more disjointed than say Xenosaga episode II.  Another nitpick is the NPC AI is pretty much useless, but it's balanced out by the fact most monsters seem to be borderline mentally incompetent as well.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 07:09:08 PM »

It's also worth noting that, even if it feels like a warm up gameplay-wise to the online, it's still fun thanks to a dramatically improved system. Plus the same could be said for Phantom Dust, and that had fewer cutscenes (though not necessarily a weaker story) and was still fun as hell.

Edit: Oh, and it's still much better than .hack, and ironically more anime-like.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 09:24:24 PM »

Well, I'm reasonably sure now that gameguard is what's crashing me every 5 minutes-couple hours.  What a pain. :|

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 08:28:09 AM »

I had a chance to play PSU on the closed american beta, and I wasn't impressed. The combat system, while "enhanced" still feels terribly canned and inflexible. The game is still little more than a sci-fi Diablo clone, and i'll be suprised if it holds the attention of even its most devout fans for more than a few weeks. I had a profound sense of nostalgia, but from an objective point of view I was bored senseless within an hour. The interface is still as clunky as ever and the servers suck, and sounds like retail release didn't help any.

I'm sure the game will be a modest distraction from those of us who have moved onto other more developed MMORPGs, but I doubt it'll make converts of any of us. The game still feels terribly claustrophobic, and that opening song makes me want to drown kittens.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 09:27:53 AM »

Quote from: "Tenchi-no-Ryu"
I had a chance to play PSU on the closed american beta, and I wasn't impressed. The combat system, while "enhanced" still feels terribly canned and inflexible. The game is still little more than a sci-fi Diablo clone, and i'll be suprised if it holds the attention of even its most devout fans for more than a few weeks. I had a profound sense of nostalgia, but from an objective point of view I was bored senseless within an hour. The interface is still as clunky as ever and the servers suck, and sounds like retail release didn't help any.

I'm sure the game will be a modest distraction from those of us who have moved onto other more developed MMORPGs, but I doubt it'll make converts of any of us. The game still feels terribly claustrophobic, and that opening song makes me want to drown kittens.

i disagree and so far i think the story mode is excellent id be willing to bet you didnt even level a skill to at least 11. so far psu shattered my expectations to the point where i may actually quit ffxi.

edit: just wanted to say magashi is deliciously evil in a darth vader sort of way.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 04:30:20 PM »

Quote from: "Tenchi-no-Ryu"
The game is still little more than a sci-fi Diablo clone, and i'll be suprised if it holds the attention of even its most devout fans for more than a few weeks.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure if I'll remain enthralled past a month, thus one of the reasons why I sprung for a month over the 6 month plan. IF I continue to enjoy it, great, but it's probably going to depend on whether or not they release new content at a decent enough pace, and if I can continue to enjoy the same dungeons done for a millionth time. I think it'll last for the single player campaign, though.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 09:48:04 PM »

I have to disagree on the controls. Maybe the 360 or PS2 controls don't do it justice, but playing with the keyboard has been quite intuitive. I find the only thing that doesn't work as well as I'd like it is the lock-on system. If it was a little tighter, I'd be perfectly at ease with everything.

And, having played it for a few weeks now and still not being bored at all, well... heh. (imported from the JP, for reference)

It can become a very intense game. We proved that tonight with doing Linear Line's B level. Nothing like a pack of 5-15's fighting packs of level 20 mobs and being within inches of dying every five minutes. Combine that with action-oriented controls and you have insta-love from me.

LOVE.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2006, 11:55:35 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
I have to disagree on the controls. Maybe the 360 or PS2 controls don't do it justice, but playing with the keyboard has been quite intuitive. I find the only thing that doesn't work as well as I'd like it is the lock-on system. If it was a little tighter, I'd be perfectly at ease with everything.

And, having played it for a few weeks now and still not being bored at all, well... heh. (imported from the JP, for reference)

It can become a very intense game. We proved that tonight with doing Linear Line's B level. Nothing like a pack of 5-15's fighting packs of level 20 mobs and being within inches of dying every five minutes. Combine that with action-oriented controls and you have insta-love from me.

LOVE.

i agree i just did melvorre underground free mission and at the end i had to fight 3 grina beats. whee lvl 35 fighting 3 lvl 50 crushinating robots.

also im currently at chapter 9 or so in story mode and so far the story has been excellent it far exceedes what i was expecting. it wouldnt be a stretch for me to say that this is probally the best game out sega since the saturn days and i would say the story is comparable to ps4 in how good it is.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: