Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 10:00:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334848 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star Universe
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star Universe  (Read 8918 times)
CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2006, 01:28:31 PM »

Are the dungeons and areas from the single-player any different from the multi-player parts? Or do they use the same areas for both, just under a different context?

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2006, 01:33:01 PM »

I didnt play single player much, but from screenshots, videos, and the first dngeon I played through; they are the same dungeons, just under different context. Appearently, the bosses online are much harder than their offline counterparts for one thing.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006, 05:21:48 PM »

Quote from: "CarpeNoctumXIII"
Are the dungeons and areas from the single-player any different from the multi-player parts? Or do they use the same areas for both, just under a different context?

I've gone through all the areas currently open in the beta... And that sentence alone should tell you that we can't full judge yet. There ARE areas I've gone to in the offline that flat out aren't there online yet, and I don't think we can know absolutely for sure until they fully open up.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2006, 05:38:10 PM »

Well I played some of the single player for this...and...wow..im sorry, but I cant even see this being that much fun online for much more than a few days.  It just feel uninspired, and the combat is rather...dull.  I dunno..when I started it up, I was expecting something cool, since everyone here is all gaga over it, but frankly, I was sorely disappointed.  Thank goodness for rentals.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2006, 10:41:25 AM »

if you think combat is boring and dull theres seriously no hope for you. i actually quickly got hooked on leveling photon arts wich gives them more combo hits. plus as you progress you gain acess to more weapons such as my current favorite twin claws.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »

I dunno, maybe i just didnt like the configuration of the PC version, and maybe the Online is much more enjoyable than single player.  *shrugs*

I might try it out again someday, but I have other games on my mind.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Albedo_2k5

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2006, 04:53:37 PM »

I will be grabbing this title mainly for the offline mode. The days when I was playing Phantasy Star on my Master System and Genesis is when my RPG experience was at a peak. No, it doesn't mean RPGs not are terrible, it just wasn't as great as the Sega days, imo. ;)

As for FFXII, that game will have to wait since I have yet to grab Devil Summoner and Summon Night Swordcraft Story 2. Unfortunately, I will not be playing this title before FFX and FFX-2, two titles I haven't even tried out. And then there is FFIII on the DS which will likely be given a lot of attention since I'm usually away from home.
SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2006, 12:11:06 PM »

So, how is the single player side of the game compared to PSO's? PSO's was fun, but it eventually got old after awhile.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2006, 04:40:53 PM »

Quote from: "SabreWulf11887"
So, how is the single player side of the game compared to PSO's? PSO's was fun, but it eventually got old after awhile.

Story and balance-wise, MUCH better. Since you can't take Ethan online, they make character building (leveling, earning meseta) much, MUCH faster. And while a bit cheesy at times, they seriously try for a story, and not simply plot that, while nice, could be told in about 2 or 3 sentences with little skipped over (unless you include the quests). However, I'm only 4 out of 12 chapters in, but even if I can't fully comment on the story, I think it's safe to say it does a better job as an offline title than PSO did.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2006, 06:21:14 PM »

Quote from: "SabreWulf11887"

Much better.  While PSU does have a similar mode, the default single player mode has a serious effort at a plot and whatnot.  It's a bit on the short side (I've heard people finishing it in 20 hours.  I finished it in 28:24 hours), but pretty fun after a slow start.  Some crazy people think it's better than all of the old Phantasy Star titles, but I don't think it's quite that good.  I did enjoy it more than everything but PSIV though.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2006, 12:29:38 PM »

my clear save clocked in at about 35 hours but its probally closer to 40 if you count the amount of times i died at shikon islands. i throughly enjoyed the story. i also love how it ends because it sets things up for online mode. im really curious what the online story quests will be like.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2006, 12:41:38 PM »

I have another question to ask. Do they have anything like the "Mags" from PSO in this game?
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2006, 07:41:34 AM »

Partner Machines. You feed them to level them up, but they don't affect your stats. They synthesize items for you and work in your player shop.

In regards to offline story mode, I don't see how people beat it in 20 hours. It took me 60 because i went back to S-rank missions. How can people not want to unlock secret photon arts?
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2006, 04:21:06 PM »

Quote from: "Dios GX"
In regards to offline story mode, I don't see how people beat it in 20 hours. It took me 60 because i went back to S-rank missions. How can people not want to unlock secret photon arts?

A lot of people, myself included, try to get a game done as fast as possible their first time through and then go back and play a game where they go for optimal strength.  Sometimes I'll mess around with optional content if I like it enough, but usually it's just get 'er done. :p

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2006, 07:13:56 PM »

Quote from: "Dios GX"
How can people not want to unlock secret photon arts?

When that time can be spent online, maybe? :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: