Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 11:34:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338565 Posts in 13857 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Witch and the Hundred Knights
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The Witch and the Hundred Knights  (Read 2389 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 10:39:37 PM »

Supposedly this game can get really dark.  This isn't like Disgaea where you're playing 'evil' characters who aren't really all that evil.  I haven't played it myself so this is coming second hand, but there's supposed to be some pretty messed up stuff.  Like,

One of the first things you do to one of the witches you defeat is turn her into a mouse, then you have her raped by rats, then you cook and eat her.

Yikes...

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 10:50:03 PM »

NIS gets into some generally dark content, a lot moreso than many Japanese developers. I feel like a lot of it is ignored because they also do a lot of humor, but you have things like Phantom Brave, which is just a giant ball of sadness when you consider it.  A little girl, who lives all alone, is rejected by the populace around her, so her only friends are ghosts.

I also don't think I need to mention the Soul Nomad Demon Path, which puts the intentional brutality in things like God of War to shame.  A young woman raped by her father-figure repeatedly until she mentally breaks?  All your MC does is laugh.
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 10:58:00 PM »

So my copy of the game just came in. One, its a few days early. NISA has never been able to get anything to me on release day, much less the day before release. Two, its the Limited Edition, not the Regular Edition I paid for. So someone, somewhere messed up, and I benefited. It makes me feel guilty. 

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 11:36:18 PM »

So my copy of the game just came in. One, its a few days early. NISA has never been able to get anything to me on release day, much less the day before release. Two, its the Limited Edition, not the Regular Edition I paid for. So someone, somewhere messed up, and I benefited. It makes me feel guilty. 
If I ever order a game, it'll be from NISA then.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »

I just got it, day before release.  I also got Disgaea D2 and Guided Fate Paradox before the release.  says 2 day shipping on the box (though it was free for me).  

Will start it shortly!

Edit: Obviously setting up the figure first is the important part.  on the box it says "choking hazard - small parts.  Not for children under 15 years old."

..............15?  wat
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:50:55 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 04:13:11 PM »

So played a little bit and I have to say I'm kind of adoring it. I've been looking for a good action rogue-like, and the game certainly delivers. I'm actually thankful that the rogue-like elements are pretty forgiving. The game has a meter that limits your actions before needing to return to your base, but despite the game's constant warnings, there seem to be plenty of options for recovering the so-called GCals.

The graphics aren't really anything to write home about, but the music is pretty phenomenal and goes perfectly with the "silly but twisted" vibe the game has. Same with the writing, which isn't nearly as cringe-inducing as I was expecting. I actually find the dialogue even more charming than some of the better Disgaea titles.

I haven't read any reviews on the game, and if it is reviewing pretty badly, then I'm glad I decided to form my own opinion before looking at what other people thought.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 03:12:38 PM »

It actually does resemble Ys from what I've seen in that video, it's certainly not as fast paced but it seems like it could be a good game.

TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 04:48:20 PM »

I've still barely played it due to getting distracted by the conception 2 demo.  It does feel similar to Ys Seven/Celceta due to camera view and having a dodge instead of a jump.  Also has an exact timg time slow dodge like Celceta.  It's not as fast though.  The tutorial at the start is overly long and annoying.  Press analog stick to move!  *holds left on stick for half second*    good job!  :p  I have pretty lukewarm opinion so far but I think it will be getting better soon.
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 03:26:37 AM »

wow is there seriously no way to switch weapon sets more quickly than to manually change the weapon slots each time?  my god.  

You can equip 5 weapons at once and they will act as a combo.  Each of up to 5 weapons is equipped into a numbered slot.  For example, a sword in slot 1 and a hammer in slot 2 will make your normal combo sword slash to a hammer smash.  Each weapon also has a number icon and if you order the weapons so that the numbers are in ascending numerical order it will give you a chain bonus which I guess makes it do more damage.  This seems neat initially.  The problem is that enemies are weak to specific kinds of weapons and resistant to other types.  

For example, and enemy can be resistant to both slash and blunt but weak to magic.  Say your combo only has magic at the end or in the middle.  The other hits are basically worthless now.  In this case, it would be better to have a combo made of magic weapons only.  So you switch to all magic weapons.  Now an enemy attacks and it's only weak to slash.  Now you have to change all your weapons again (unless you want to do awful damage, or possibly none at all).  Think Ys Seven/Celceta's 3 attack type system if they made it extremely cumbersome to change weapon types during battle.  There's no shortcut to make all your slots fill with the same weapon type.  The "shortcut" is to press right on the D pad, which takes you to the weapon equip screen....from which you must manually pick a weapon for each slot.  There's no shortcuts or presets you can make.  This is a fantastically stupid design problem.

Another gameplay/combat thing I'd like to mention is that the gigacal system I've seen some people worried about doesn't seem that bad.  It doesn't drain terribly fast and it's fairly easy to refill it by using grade points at the teleporters.  You can get grade points by killing the (rapidly respawing) enemies so as long as they aren't beating your face into the ground you should be getting enough grade points to keep yourself chugging along (or you could eat them).  The stamina bar hundred knight has (the ring that's almost always around him during gameplay) feels far more restrictive, as you can't do many attacks or evades before depleting it.  I guess they don't want you to go too nuts but I feel like it's artificially slowing the gameplay down for no good reason.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:45:54 AM by TiamatNM » Logged
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 05:29:59 AM »

Ugh.. That seems like a pain in the ass. What were they thinking lol.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 07:18:33 AM »

I'm... not hating it. I like how dark it is (Metallia is a horrible, horrible person) and I appreciate some of the new ideas like the weapon combo system, but much of the game seems needlesly complicated. For instance the hunger gauge plus stomach limitations seem to be mostly there to force the player to take breaks and thus lengthen the playtime. I guess this may change later in the game (I'm only 5 hours in), but still...
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 09:42:34 AM »

In regards to weapon combos: I have yet to see a point in the game where you need all weapons of the same type. Sometimes I'll switch the weapon type weakness to the first slot and just hit them with the first attack repeatedly, but most of the time you're not wasting that much time or stamina just keeping your weapon types varied.
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 12:22:55 PM »

Yeah you don't have to change all the slots every time if you don't want to.  You could just change the first weapon but even that still takes too long.  You shouldn't have to stop combat and go to the equip menu for something so basic to the combat.  It's so annoying that my thought process already went to "well I'll just whack this other enemy type with my current weapon even though it sucks, switching is too much of a pain."  This then lead to thinking "actually, why don't I just run past these guys?"  I feel like the game is punishing me for trying to fight efficiently; punished by menus breaking up the combat.  It's like if you were playing Ys Seven and you had to go to the equip menu every time you want to switch to Dogi.  It's awful.  

I'm not quitting the game (yet :P) though.....the game does have some good points.  I'm interested where the story will go for example.  The combat itself is decent....other than the weapon changing and (arguably) the stamina gauge.  So yeah I'm not giving up...yet.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:29:50 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »

Anyone got any tips on boss fights? Didn't have any trouble with the difficulty up until now, but that chapter 7 poisoness blob boss is kicking my little knight's ass :(
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 04:59:13 PM »

No, I'm only starting chapter 4 now.  

Most of the bosses only seem to have one attack so far.  That's just.....pathetic.  I am enjoying the game more now for whatever reason though.  

EDIT:  game has been getting better but now THIS is happening to me http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/644717-the-witch-and-the-hundred-knight/68877604  twice within half a day. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:51:08 AM by TiamatNM » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: