Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 05:27:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327762 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Battle of the New Atheism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Battle of the New Atheism  (Read 7238 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2006, 11:54:53 AM »

Ash, I love you.  That link is wonderful.

Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2006, 11:56:31 AM »

I call for a citizen's banning.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2006, 12:11:05 PM »

Concurred.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2006, 01:17:40 PM »

Wow, Bogy(Is it Ok if I call you Bogy?), you've got a lot to say, man.
I'm going legit now. The LORD is my oyster!

Right after I get done arguing with a couple of my bible-lovin'co-workers about fossils. Hmmm....3 million years old....or....4000 years old? What the hell do scientists know anyway? I'm going with what preacher man told me!
; - )

p.s. I like Dinosaurs

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2006, 01:20:21 PM »

Bogy, the people have spoken, and the word is GTFO.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2006, 01:26:48 PM »

Holy shit, everyone in this thread is awesome!

I fucking love you guys!

*Gives Ash and Doshi and LoS some gold stars and silver buttons and platinum pie plates.*

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2006, 05:42:00 PM »

Finally.  I knew as soon as he posted here it was going to be the habeus thread all over again.

On topic, I didn't read much of the article, but I agree with what other people said.  Intolerance is bad.  I really don't like it when people push their views onto other people (unless asked).  I don't ever really offer up my views on any pressing issues because I know people often don't want to hear it.  If it's a discussion of the topic, that's a different story.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2006, 08:57:13 PM »

Just to clarify, and to hopefully get the thread back on track. My earlier post was in context of the discussion that had arisen about human politics and why certain religions are considered to be the "standard" for any spiritual views.

I actually agree with one line of what Bogy said: "God is beyond that." In my opinion that statement is truer than he knows.

There are many different views on what God is. Some religions present a personification while others describe an energy that blankets itself over all things, living or not. We know that there are plenty of people to argue why one religion is "more accurate" than another, but...

The more likely possibility in my eyes is that if there is a God, it is not possible for humanity to truly understand the workings of such an advanced being, regardless of your religious belief. This doesn't mean that what you think and feel is wrong, it just means that there's a possibility that things you don't agree with are as correct as your beliefs.

My earlier post questioned the idea of a "fatherly deity" role of God. By contrast, there are those who would point out that many things in this universe are so beautiful and complex at even their tiniest levels that it would indicate "intelligent design." Both of these concepts have the same flaw (by my reasoning, of course, just an opinion): They depend on a thought process of human beings. So while the Atheist view of humans being the zenith of creation is not easy to swallow, we must see the other side of the coin, which is that our minds may not have the capability of trying to reason something as scientifically and rationally unexplainable as God.

What you end up with, and what I close this post with, is the most obvious statement that can be said: a devout belief (of any type) in God requires pure faith that cannot be factually verified by human standards.

(I may have my personal opinions on the more fundamentalist practitioners, but overall, this is what I feel about the concept of religion, and I don't think my original post put that forward.)

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2006, 11:19:13 PM »

Ah, I missed the banning of Bogatyr? I'm so disappointed. Love the avatar and such chosen for the guy though.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2006, 11:35:36 AM »

I think Morwan said something about the definition of atheists (and anti-theists) that I agree with. It can be a pain when some of my atheist friends IRL or online strike about a conversation about religion, but they've never condemned a faith before. To them it's always been a defence or explanation of their beliefs, not unlike what religious people do. These "New Atheists" are, as many of you already said, zealots. ^_^

On the existence of God...I don't think that a religion really requires its followers to completely comprehend the extent of God's abilities. Our duty, technically, is to worship him. Even in the historical texts of Prophets and such, it is said that the holy men were in awe of God's powers, that such abilities were beyong their comprehension.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: