Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 10:45:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334496 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  HBO doing an adaption of Naoki Urasawa's Monster
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HBO doing an adaption of Naoki Urasawa's Monster  (Read 1470 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2013, 12:49:14 AM »

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/guillermo-del-toro-is-hatching-a-monster-of-a-series-at-hbo/

If they do this right it could actually be really cool.  Monster is a pretty down-to-earth Manga and well-suited for a live action adaption.  There has been talk about doing a movie version before, but it's kind of long for that.  An HBO series could totally work, though.

What do you think?

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 01:22:41 AM »

It'd be impressive if they actually managed to pull it off.

My biggest concern is the fact that, unlike say Game of Thrones, there isn't a ton of material to really adapt. Maybe a season or two, which is about as much time as the anime took and that was pretty faithful to the manga.

My other concern is that the facial and body expressions were part of what made Monster work and they'd not only have to mind that, but also the conversion of that to live action.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 01:56:48 AM »

The Monster anime was 74 episodes.  That's not just "a season or two".  And the anime was quite faithful to the manga, without filler.  Of course those are half hour episodes, but there's still plenty of material for a good run here.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 01:58:30 AM »

This could be really, really cool if handled correctly. HBO is a good channel for it, I believe.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 02:41:05 AM »

Good talent behind it.  I'm super curious.  I do think there are a few mangas out there that could make for pretty good adaptions or even films (GitS being one for sure). 

Let's us see.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 02:54:19 AM »

The Monster anime was 74 episodes.  That's not just "a season or two".  And the anime was quite faithful to the manga, without filler.  Of course those are half hour episodes, but there's still plenty of material for a good run here.

Didn't I say as much in terms of faithful adaptions? My question was more directed on how faithful HBO is going to be to the manga/anime.

But yes, I didn't really remember how long it took to watch through Monster on Syfy, but if they got three seasons (I'm going by 24~26 episode seasons instead of 13 episode seasons that actually constitute a season) out of that then there shouldn't be any problems in terms of length.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 04:43:13 AM »

I can't think of a better manga to adapt to live-action, although they'd probably have to tone down the way story is told because Japanese people tend to like theatrical presentations, which usually don't work as well if the show is supposed to be set in the present day.

The only thing that's nagging the back of my head is that I bet this is going to be another case of them doing something like changing the main character's name to Ken Tinman so they can cast a big name (or not even that, actually) white actor instead of a Japanese guy. Then Asians make a fuss about it within their own circle of organizations, newpapers and cable channels nobody cares about and a bunch of people talk about how apparently that's not important.

Sorry if bringing that up makes anyone uncomfortable, it's just something that always bothers me whenever the west decides to "adapt" stories.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:46:46 AM by Hathen » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 01:11:02 PM »

I can't think of a better manga to adapt to live-action, although they'd probably have to tone down the way story is told because Japanese people tend to like theatrical presentations, which usually don't work as well if the show is supposed to be set in the present day.

The only thing that's nagging the back of my head is that I bet this is going to be another case of them doing something like changing the main character's name to Ken Tinman so they can cast a big name (or not even that, actually) white actor instead of a Japanese guy. Then Asians make a fuss about it within their own circle of organizations, newpapers and cable channels nobody cares about and a bunch of people talk about how apparently that's not important.

Sorry if bringing that up makes anyone uncomfortable, it's just something that always bothers me whenever the west decides to "adapt" stories.

According to the K-on movie all white people have blond hair and aquiline noses and are considerably less adorable than their Japanese counterparts.

Professor Layton was cast as an Asian man in the live-action movies (Luke wasn't, but I sure as hell haven't seen any Asian men with the last name of Layton).

It kinda goes both ways.  It's not like there's much American-media that takes place outside America, and there isn't that much Japanese media that takes place outside Japan.  It's a double-edged sword; and as far as marketing goes they'd have to pick someone who can sell it (be it Asian, or white, or Lawrence Fishburne).

I think the more important part is if they do the material justice (but I do agree, it would be great if we can see an Asian man playing the lead... but....)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:19:23 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 12:56:10 AM »

In my defense I'm also critical of Japan's xenophobia (Pretty much anybody who has lived in Japan can attest to this attitude still being present). I guess I just tend to hold at least the United States to a higher standard than that for obvious reasons, not to mention Hollywood is basically in the middle of the US Asianland. Asian people are still a pretty small minority in the US but I somehow doubt you'd be as hard-pressed to find one as opposed to finding a white or black person in Japan.

It's true that I would definitely prefer a decent actor above just casting an Asian for Asian's sake, but it's not like that's what usually happens. I somehow doubt Justin Chatwin was cast as Goku or Kristen Kreuk was cast as Chun-Li because they were just so perfect for the roles (I was actually a bit more accepting of the kid they got to play Aang because he was the appropriate age and knew martial arts, though they kinda screwed that over by not getting appropriate people to play Katara/Sokka/Zuko). If you wanted to find a good Asian actor there's plenty to choose from. I don't think it has anything to do with not being able to find an actor- but I also don't think it has anything to do with "racism" most of the time, as in the casting director just doesn't like Asians or whatever, but rather that studios arn't willing to take risks and they prefer to have their lead be a straight white American male (Basically making it come down to $$$ as with most things). I think someone once said if a show ended up being a hit and happened to have an Asian in the lead role it'll probably happen a lot more often, which is why it annoys me when they don't cast Asian lead actors when it would've otherwise been appropriate.

Bringing it back to Monster specifically, I feel that Tenma's cultural background plays pretty heavily in how he's characterized as well (not to mention the several times in the story the only reason it made sense for people to find him was because he is "that asian doctor").
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:01:47 AM by Hathen » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: