Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 10:14:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331726 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.  (Read 640 times)
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 09:53:43 AM »

Crimson Shroud is really good but also pretty short. 'Tis also pretty cheap and it goes on sale regularly enough (not Atlus Sale regular)

There is also Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I remember you saying you enjoyed the PS2 games on IRC before. The game is fun and the hit boxes have improved a lot. No wifi online though, just streetpass. MH4U is coming out next year though so you may want to wait. It also has multiplayer that uses wifi.

Not sure how you feel about dungeon crawlers but both Etrian Odyssey IV and Untold are great.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 10:01:41 AM »

Crimson Shroud is really good but also pretty short. 'Tis also pretty cheap and it goes on sale regularly enough (not Atlus Sale regular)

There is also Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I remember you saying you enjoyed the PS2 games on IRC before. The game is fun and the hit boxes have improved a lot. No wifi online though, just streetpass. MH4U is coming out next year though so you may want to wait. It also has multiplayer that uses wifi.

Not sure how you feel about dungeon crawlers but both Etrian Odyssey IV and Untold are great.
You must be nuts sir, I have a serious HATE for monster hunter on any console really simply because of the controls. It drove me nuts trying to play the first one. But I'll take a peek at crimson shroud.

TASTY!
glassjawsh
will argue out of boredom

"You're pretty punk, Steve" - Dolphin

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 10:52:28 AM »

You must be nuts sir, I have a serious HATE for monster hunter on any console really simply because of the controls. It drove me nuts trying to play the first one. But I'll take a peek at crimson shroud.

makes thread about game recommendations;
insists on rule forbidding bad mouthing other people's suggestions;
immediately begins bad mouthing other people's suggestions.

this is CHAOS!! we've descended into CHAOS!!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:56:11 AM by glassjawsh » Logged

You're wrong, Frank. I'm not a kid, I'm a man. I am gonna get you better, and then I'm going to beat you to death!
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 11:01:59 AM »

All I remember from our Monster Hunter conversation from ages ago was you were passionate about the game. Note to self, passion =/= like.

I really liked Crimson Shroud. I was still playing it after I had beaten the game. Anyone else who played it can put in their Yay or Nay opinion on its quality.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 11:47:32 AM »

makes thread about game recommendations;
insists on rule forbidding bad mouthing other people's suggestions;
immediately begins bad mouthing other people's suggestions.

You haven't been here nearly long enough to know about my badmouthing, it's a joke.

Edit: I'm also gonna point out that simply accepting recommendations for stuff that you have played is silly, but just denying a suggestion because you don't like it is mean. The thing about monster hunter is that I've never liked monster hunter ever, and him saying I had a conversation about liking it over irc had to be misconstrewn or he simply got the wrong guy. I'm not being a dick or just disregarding suggestions. I'm quite sure I'll look into the other things mentioned here, darilon has always had good opinions regarding gaming (plus he's Irish, so there's that).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:42:03 PM by Agent D. » Logged

TASTY!
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 12:49:48 PM »

I believe some sort of order would have to be prevalent before chaos could actually ensue.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 09:28:15 PM »

*tries to bring some order back into the post*
I've been digging games like To the Moon, Gone Home, Dear Esrher, Brothers, TWD series, Wolf Among Us, Beyond: Two Souls, etc.
Story-based games with little to no "difficulty" to make me not enjoy myself. I like easy games. I like short games. I like a great story. Some killer tunes help as well.
I'm sure I'm missing other games out there like the above.
I played 999, and still need to pick up Virtue's last Reward, so there's that, but I'm not sure what else should be on my radar.
Any help? Thanks!

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 11:00:56 PM »

Have you played The Last of Us yet? Great fucking story, short game, and easy difficulty to make your playthrough an experience rather than an endeavor.

TASTY!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »

Perhaps Deus Ex: Human Revolution too.
It's heavily story based and I assume it would be fairly easy on "Tell Me A Story" difficulty.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2014, 05:25:19 AM »

One of the GBA Summon Night: Swordcraft Story games. They play kinda like Tales of Phantasia or Destiny except you have only yourself to blame play as (no AI piloted allies for you, which is good for reasons mentioned below).

A bit late, but thanks for the rec. I think I remember seeing a friend of mine playing this once. I'll try to look into it.

I've been digging games like To the Moon, Gone Home, Dear Esrher, Brothers, TWD series, Wolf Among Us, Beyond: Two Souls, etc.
Story-based games with little to no "difficulty" to make me not enjoy myself. I like easy games. I like short games. I like a great story. Some killer tunes help as well.
I played 999, and still need to pick up Virtue's last Reward, so there's that, but I'm not sure what else should be on my radar.
Any help? Thanks!

I think I sort of knkow what you mean, as I like those games a lot too. You could tyr out Journey, Shadow of the Colossus and Ico if you want something easy and don't mind artsy stuff.

For interactive adventure games, there is of course Ace Attorney, but there are also lesser known stuff such as Policenauts or Snatcher. The latter two might fall a bit short on the final step when it comes to plot, but they have decent settings and are not insanely long. I must warn though, that both have one or two very tricky shooter parts, so don't be afraid to use any means necessary to cheese through them. As for Ace Attorney, well I'm sure you already know what it is. It's self-aware and funny, with just a right amount of drama to make it a charming series.

You could also play the standard adventure games, mostly point&click types. I'd say at least try playing through Grim Fandango, as it often the most revered game of the type (though it didn't actually have mouse control). I also dig the early Broken Sword games, though arguably these have a problem with the final steps into the story as well, but the overall is a charming mystery with beautiful art. And if you like beautiful art, there are things such as Whispered World or Machinarium. Both are worth a try and Machinarium is like 8 hours tops with a simple minimalistic story. Classic Sierra stuff I'm not sure if I can recommend, as many used to be full of dead ends and sudden deaths, but there are a lot to choose from. Lucasarts has a lot of funny things such as Monkey Island. They also have things such as The Dig, which has a pretty good atmosphere, but the puzzles have a pretty bad reputation of making no sense and being borderline impossible.

As a final note, steam has a lot of indie puzzle stuff that might be worth trying out. The Swapper for example is definitely an atmospheric game with a somewhat obtuse, yet interesting story if you try to make sense of it. I still have a lot to try out myself, but I hope something catches your interest.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 05:30:51 AM by mecharobot » Logged
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2014, 07:48:54 AM »

Any help? Thanks!

You might like Machinarium, the story might not be anything epic, but the game is so damn charming that it more than makes up for it.

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: Charming, clunky, frustrating, rewarding.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2014, 08:45:56 AM »

Have you played The Last of Us yet? Great fucking story, short game, and easy difficulty to make your playthrough an experience rather than an endeavor.
Of course! Great game, but not easy for me, even on the easiest difficulty. That was ok, though, as I don't mind a bit of a challenge every now and then.

Perhaps Deus Ex: Human Revolution too.
It's heavily story based and I assume it would be fairly easy on "Tell Me A Story" difficulty.
Isn't that a first person game? I love the premise, but never gave it much thought because I suck at first person anything games.

I think I sort of know what you mean, as I like those games a lot too. You could try out Journey, Shadow of the Colossus and Ico if you want something easy and don't mind artsy stuff.
I loved all three of those games!

I'll look into some of the other games mentioned. Thanks!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:04:25 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »

I thought Thomas Was Alone was great. It is a short easy game too. I had bought it as part of a bundle a long time ago but did not give it a go until recently. I think the biggest reason I ignored it for so long was that I looked at some screenshots and was not impressed. The narrator does a great job though and you forget that the main cast are squares and rectangles. If you buy PC bundles, you may already own it.

Two DS games I would recommend are Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and Ghost Trick. Neither are difficult games.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/hoteldusk/index.html

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Ghost_Trick_Phantom_Detective/index2.html

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: