Author Topic: Today In The News

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
    • View Profile
Re: Today In The News
« Reply #1950 on: February 09, 2017, 08:53:40 PM »
Meanwhile, in Canada, we're seeing an increase in the number of illegal border crossings.  Since the US is considered a "safe third country", refugees who attempt to enter legally are turned back, so many are just walking across through open prairie, which is quite dangerous during winter.

Amnesty International has written an open letter requesting that Canada rescind the United States's status as a safe third country.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: February 10, 2017, 07:41:39 AM »
look on the bright side star, at least he didnt reference braveheart like almost every person does the insttant they hear about scotland as if its still clever in any way

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: February 10, 2017, 08:28:42 AM »
look on the bright side star, at least he didnt reference braveheart like almost every person does the insttant they hear about scotland as if its still clever in any way

Small mercies.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: February 10, 2017, 10:13:20 AM »
Like we are a race of fucking will o wisps or ninja's or something. Fuck off.

You're.... not?
Current RPG - Legend of Penguins: Trails in the Sky SC

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: February 10, 2017, 10:21:45 AM »
Right? I thought everyone knew that the Loch Ness monster is really just the spaceship that @Starmongoose and his people arrived in.
My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: February 10, 2017, 11:04:57 AM »
These are some Alternative Facts I can get behind.

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: February 16, 2017, 11:58:13 PM »
I have a lot of crazy thoughts going on so people can continue to disregard them if they wish.

I had this idea though that like with respect to LGBT progress was made on the L&G front, like just being "different" is more accepted, no longer do you have to worry that being more nerdy was a reason to get beat up or taken advantage of in school.

But then I think with Trump instead of kind making progress to the B and Bisexuality and just it's ok to be different and then also more different that just kinda got shot down.

So instead everyone's just moving on to T and going yeah it's ok to be super different and so different you blur the gender categorizations and behavior entirely.

Which sucks for the B category cause it's stuck in limbo under the weight of Trumpism, while people in the other categories are moving on.

So I feel like people doing different things is sorta ok and then being super different is more ok but being average different is stuck because Trumpism took hold and they want to set the clock to 1953 and keep it there.

But I'm also possibly just making this up as I go.

And I imagine the B will come, just not right this second, because Trump.

The reason I think this is because both Republicans and Democrats had problems and somehow the Democrats are the ones who being made into ultra-villains, so now the emphasis is on their problems (which are more in the transgender category) and not the Republican specific ones (which are more geared towards bisexuality and/or possible gay matters)

I think that's also the reason a lot of people are on edge, everyone knows the Republican party has done a lot of wrong, but since they're sort of "getting away with it" it feels off, but on the other hand, so have the Democrats, and I don't think they are getting away with it right now so I guess might take some edge off.

And then the Republican party will have their day in court so to speak another day.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:03:45 AM by Artimicia »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: February 17, 2017, 07:18:02 PM »
You're exaggerating, they said.  It won't be that bad, they said.  Give him a chance they said.

We are now officially heading towards facism.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: February 18, 2017, 12:22:06 AM »
I admit I laughed at the part where it said Trump deleted his tweet only to double down with some extra stations added in a few minutes later. That's just so Trump I can't help but be amused.

Also really glad this shows anyone with any lingering doubts how spineless the supposed "good" conservatives like Ryan or McCain are.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: February 18, 2017, 12:31:03 AM »
Honestly, McCain seems to be growing a backbone.  Though it does feel like too little, too late.

Ryan, on the other hand, I have completely given up on.  Not that I ever had a high opinion of him to begin with.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: February 18, 2017, 12:53:46 AM »
McCain, the guy who refused to endorse Trump, then endorsed him, then unendorsed when things looked bad for the campaign, then voted against exactly zero of Trump's cabinet picks all the while condemning actions publically so he can look good.

Even now he avoids singling out Trump by name. He's as spineless as they come. At least I know Ryan's also a Randian asshole so Machiavellianism is up his alley.

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1961 on: February 18, 2017, 07:28:12 AM »
You're exaggerating, they said.  It won't be that bad, they said.  Give him a chance they said.

Tis a page straight out of the Stalin playbook.  Here's an essay comparing Trump's and Stalin's uses of disinformation as a political tool. 

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/01/a_lesson_for_trump_from_stalin_lies_work_up_to_a_point.html
Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: February 18, 2017, 08:34:01 AM »

He does understand that the Germany Second video wasn't meant to be inspirational, right?

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: February 18, 2017, 07:51:53 PM »
You know to be honest actually I think the whole narrative America's been spinning with respect to rights of X Y or Z group and what should be done has kind of collapsed in many ways.

It's not like people were going to wait forever for the average American to learn basic decency, the rest of the world is just going to move on and ignore most of these issue contrivances, and it's going to be up to America to try and catch up with them if they so choose.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: February 20, 2017, 04:05:47 AM »
The Dutch elections are in three weeks and the hip new app you have to play is a Tamagotchi-like game in which you get a random politician you try to keep alive until the elections by giving them food, attention and knowledge. And you can pet them.

I think I'll game play some more JRPGs. Those are less weird than reality.