Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2016, 10:53:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
249665 Posts in 7487 Topics by 2397 Members
Latest Member: eclectic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games  (Read 34250 times)
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

« Reply #465 on: September 16, 2016, 06:14:15 AM »

The draw system itself was fine, but the big complaint is that you usually only drew 3-6 spells at a time, making stocking them tedious.  If there was a skill like "draw x10" that allow you to draw 10x the number of spells than usual, people would have been okay with it.

And I said it already that FF8 is my favorite FF.

I don't know if I posted this unpopular opinion already, but whatever.  It has more to do with a composer than a game.  Anyway, am I the only one who's not a fan of Hitoshi Sakimoto's music?  His music is generally well-composed and atmospheric, but it lacks emotion, verve, tenacity, personality, and memorability.  I find his music "nice" and that's it.  Odin Sphere, FFXII, Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles... I thought they all had meh music. It's like those bands I've seen/played shows with who clearly possess superior musicianship skills and play everything studio-perfect, but I can't remember a damn thing about any of their songs afterward and they bore me.

You could Draw up to 9x spells per Draw if you had dumped all your Junction Fodder into Magic instead of any other stat and were Drawing fodder. It still took a long time to gas up to 100 though and a lot of times, just remembering to equip Draw was enough of a challenge (as you could only equip 3 other battle commands beyond Attack and GFs, Magic, Items, Card, Draw, and a bunch of later shit were all competing for those 3 slots).

Alternatively, you could buy like 5 Tents and refine them into 100 Curaga's or someshit.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

« Reply #466 on: September 16, 2016, 06:48:38 AM »

Also drawing was a lot worse in FFVI because it could corrupt your save.

This is the part where I have to admit to everyone that I've never played VI, despite owning it.

Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

« Reply #467 on: September 16, 2016, 10:11:01 AM »

Are you guys forgetting that Sakimoto composed one of the greatest soundtracks of all time: Final Fantasy Tactics?

It's true, though, that his more recent stuff has lacked emotional punch.  But looking at XII and Valkyria, it feels like he's aiming for a more atmospheric sound that is meant to work more in context than it does standalone.  And I feel like he achieves that to great effect in both games.

Current RPG - Atelier Rorona & Final Fantasy III
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: