Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 26, 2015, 03:34:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
343800 Posts in 14032 Topics by 2230 Members
Latest Member: BeoXXVI
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Games of the Year 2014 - Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Games of the Year 2014 - Official Thread  (Read 308 times)
Mike
Administrator

SHOVEL JUSTICE!

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2015, 08:40:09 PM »

Discuss!

"Your sins lay heavy upon you, defiler of souls."
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »

I LIKED MANY  VIDEO GAMES AND ALSO I LIKED ALL THE GAMES THAT CAME TO STEAM AND I HOPE THEY ALL DO IN THE FUTURE

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 01:55:30 AM »

Hmm... Apparently last year wasn't that great for RPGs in general. Bravely Default started off the year promisingly enough, but it just seemed to fall flat on its face by the second half (and so did the year in terms of RPG releases :v). Hopefully this one will be better.

That said, I'd totes put in for Hyrule Warriors for best sorta-but-not-really RPG of the year. If you ignore the DLC, its one of the smoothest "insert name here" Warriors game yet. I'd also pull for Natural Doctrine for SRPG but between being butt-ugly as all hell and the fact that, aside from myself and Kevadu, nobody on this site knew that it even existed, I could see why it didn't make it (maybe if there were a top five).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 09:22:43 AM »

Last year really was more of a year for WRPGs fans for what I've seen in some parts. A couple of big JRPGs are gonna come out this year for sure and the only thing I expect to see for the "best of" in 2015 is Persona 5 taking every category on RPGFan.

Personally, I'm all about Bloodborne and MGSV: The Phantom Pain this year, and I don't know about P5 after loving the hell out P3 FES and P4 leave me super cold and pretty disappointed to be honest. But then again it has been a looong time since the last Persona so hopefully Atlus delivers cool new stuff for this one.

---

On a personal note from my year in gaming on 2014:

2014 was officially the year I got sick of people calling The Last of Us "a masterpiece".

I didn't had any real expectation in 2013 for TLoU other than "I like Uncharted and this looks intriguing since that demo back on E3 2012", by the time I finished the 1st playthrough I felt as emotionally empty as I did when I finished Red Dead Redemption and I didn't knew what opinion I really had of it like when I finished the original BioShock.

7 playthroughs of the campaign, 2 playthroughs of the Left Behind DLC and 200+ hours of the Multiplayer Mode later I got why I felt like that. TLoU did virtually everything that Resident Evil 4 did 9 years before TLoU, but it wasn't self-aware of its own nature which made the rest of the experience lack any kind of engagement in my time and experience with it.

That being said, the moments when it did showed potential, and TLoU as a game is good, is in those parts when it leaves its own drama and becomes a Survival Horror game in line with modern RE. And in the multiplayer when is replicating what made the original Gears of War a fun Third-person shooter (combat with weight and good sound design). And that's it.

Story and characters? People have been jerking off to it since the game came out, but as far as stories in games in 2013 goes I was having a blast with MGR: Revengeance's exaggerated (but clever) continuation of MGS4's story. Which just like Wolfenstein: The New Order it had no right to be as good as it was.

*sigh* Ah well. At least after all of this The Evil Within got the strange taste that TLoU left out of my mouth with a game I'm gonna be playing just as much as I've done with all the other games Shinji Mikami has done.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 10:21:18 AM »

I'm glad to see DA: Inquistion winning awards, as it truly IS a great game. The type that gets me my gaming mojo back after I've felt it slipping for years now. It's rare nowadays that I think so much about a game when I'm not playing it. I really want to be home playing it right freaking now.
I like that overall so many games are mentioned, as I always end up adding several to my list(s) of games to check out/play.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables
glassjawsh
insolent cur

corn is no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 12:43:05 PM »

Last year really was more of a year for WRPGs fans for what I've seen in some parts. A couple of big JRPGs are gonna come out this year for sure and the only thing I expect to see for the "best of" in 2015 is Persona 5 taking every category on RPGFan.

Personally, I'm all about Bloodborne and MGSV: The Phantom Pain this year, and I don't know about P5 after loving the hell out P3 FES and P4 leave me super cold and pretty disappointed to be honest. But then again it has been a looong time since the last Persona so hopefully Atlus delivers cool new stuff for this one.

---

On a personal note from my year in gaming on 2014:

2014 was officially the year I got sick of people calling The Last of Us "a masterpiece".

I didn't had any real expectation in 2013 for TLoU other than "I like Uncharted and this looks intriguing since that demo back on E3 2012", by the time I finished the 1st playthrough I felt as emotionally empty as I did when I finished Red Dead Redemption and I didn't knew what opinion I really had of it like when I finished the original BioShock.

7 playthroughs of the campaign, 2 playthroughs of the Left Behind DLC and 200+ hours of the Multiplayer Mode later I got why I felt like that. TLoU did virtually everything that Resident Evil 4 did 9 years before TLoU, but it wasn't self-aware of its own nature which made the rest of the experience lack any kind of engagement in my time and experience with it.

That being said, the moments when it did showed potential, and TLoU as a game is good, is in those parts when it leaves its own drama and becomes a Survival Horror game in line with modern RE. And in the multiplayer when is replicating what made the original Gears of War a fun Third-person shooter (combat with weight and good sound design). And that's it.

Story and characters? People have been jerking off to it since the game came out, but as far as stories in games in 2013 goes I was having a blast with MGR: Revengeance's exaggerated (but clever) continuation of MGS4's story. Which just like Wolfenstein: The New Order it had no right to be as good as it was.

*sigh* Ah well. At least after all of this The Evil Within got the strange taste that TLoU left out of my mouth with a game I'm gonna be playing just as much as I've done with all the other games Shinji Mikami has done.

You know how stoners sometimes can say a word over and over again until it loses its meaning?

You pretty much did that to yourself with The Last of Us

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 02:26:46 PM »

You know how stoners sometimes can say a word over and over again until it loses its meaning?

You pretty much did that to yourself with The Last of Us

smh.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »

Why would you subject yourself to 7 playthroughs of the main campaign, 2 playthroughs of additional DLC, and 200+ hours of multiplayer in an experience that did not engage you and left you "emotionally empty"? I am positive I am misinterpreting/missing something.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »

I'm glad to see DA: Inquistion winning awards, as it truly IS a great game. The type that gets me my gaming mojo back after I've felt it slipping for years now. It's rare nowadays that I think so much about a game when I'm not playing it. I really want to be home playing it right freaking now.
I like that overall so many games are mentioned, as I always end up adding several to my list(s) of games to check out/play.

I do very much enjoy the individual editor's lists - it can definitely get animated among the staff voting/debating the category awards, but the individual editor selections give good insight into everybody's tastes.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 04:10:53 PM »

Why would you subject yourself to 7 playthroughs of the main campaign, 2 playthroughs of additional DLC, and 200+ hours of multiplayer in an experience that did not engage you and left you "emotionally empty"? I am positive I am misinterpreting/missing something.

Because I know Naughty Dog is capable of doing better than a dramatic TV series for a game. But more than just that, the game didn't fit with all the other works the team did before. And the progresion they could have potentially make after Uncharted 3 was for something completely different, and that mixed with the feeling of emptiness that the game left me bothered me. So I kept playing and did some research on my own to understand my experience.

It was interesting going through all that in retrospective, but after all being said and done I have never felt in so much disagreement in the popularity and success of a game before like I did with TLoU.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 04:22:31 PM »

Because I know Naughty Dog is capable of doing better than a dramatic TV series for a game. But more than just that, the game didn't fit with all the other works the team did before. And the progresion they could have potentially make after Uncharted 3 was for something completely different, and that mixed with the feeling of emptiness that the game left me bothered me. So I kept playing and did some research on my own to understand my experience.

It was interesting going through all that in retrospective, but after all being said and done I have never felt in so much disagreement in the popularity and success of a game before like I did with TLoU.

It is the sheer amount of time played that I don't get. You must have played it for almost 300 hours with story playthroughs and multiplayer combined. I couldn't do that for a game I didn't really like. Especially since I recall you mentioning you hated the violence. I remember your game journal posts and you seem to feel the same way now as you did during your first playthrough.

Were you playing multiplayer with friends or randoms?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:30:57 PM by Darilon » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 05:19:37 PM »

It is the sheer amount of time played that I don't get. You must have played it for almost 300 hours with story playthroughs and multiplayer combined. I couldn't do that for a game I didn't really like. Especially since I recall you mentioning you hated the violence. I remember your game journal posts and you seem to feel the same way now as you did during your first playthrough.

Were you playing multiplayer with friends or randoms?

That was the time the game I remember telling me I put into the multiplayer. When I saw it I found it somewhat weird too but I didn't give it much attention.

Games were with randoms taking different approaches with each weapon and what not.

And funny thing about the violence, was that months later (after I dropped the game) I saw a small part of a panel with some of the staff from Naughty Dog where I noticed that what bothered me about the violence itself at the time was that Clickers should have been the dirtiest fights, not so much with humans (at least not in the campaign).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: