Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2015, 08:11:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
355508 Posts in 14449 Topics by 2260 Members
Latest Member: Kater
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game that took you the longest time to finish
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Game that took you the longest time to finish  (Read 349 times)
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2015, 01:35:33 PM »

Ok, I'll clarify some baseline rules for this.

- Finish as in go from beginning to end, not 100% the game
- Dropped games which are started anew later don't count. Only lapse of one playthrough (continuous save file)

Mine is clearly The Legend of the Dragoon.

It took me a little over SEVEN YEARS to finish my game.

The game is such a slug to play through that I would always lose interest in it and wait several months before forcing myself to play some more of it.
I'm still glad I finished it instead of dropping it.

I do think that the game would be incredible if it had better pacing.
Also, everything about Rose is gold. The best parts of the story were about the dragoons of old.
Wild Armor
Observer
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 01:51:41 PM »

Rune Factory Frontier - 3 years.

I only play that game during the summer. Whenever I start it up during summer, I always get a kick of the last save point time and date. However, that game is going to lose out to Arc Rise Fantasia, because I play that game only in short spurts. I'm guessing when I have kids is when I'll beat that game.

I think Resonance of Fate is going to tie with Rune Factory Frontier. I'm literally on the last stretch of it, but dropped it in favor of playing Nier. Never went back to it, but whenever Christmas comes by, I think about it for a second. ;) Great game, just always have another really interesting game that comes up. Last Christmas it was Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors that I still occasionally play through to clean up the adventure maps.

I'm sure I'll update this post later about other games I'm still playing through. My backlog is a little unhealthy. ;)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 02:01:31 PM »

The Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons

Purchased: 2001
First completed save file: 2009

Played it off and on for 3 years until I got to the final boss and lost.

Picked it back up out of the blue one night and beat the final dungeon and boss in two tries. That same night I beat the true final boss in Paper Mario and played through Star Fox 64 twice, beating it on the normal route for the first time on the second try. Both were games that I had purchased around the same point as Oracle of Seasons. In fact, I believe that was the same save in Paper Mario I had been using since I first started playing the game.

Needless to say, I felt great in the morning.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 02:29:41 PM »

Adventure of Link. Started playing it in 1990, finally finished it in 1999.

And sadly that isn't even the hardest game I've ever tried to play. Finishing the original NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles still eludes me to this day. I can get to the final level, but since all of the enemies there are boss level enemies I've never been able to make it to Shredder.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 02:36:10 PM »

*looks left*.

Um..  Baten Kaitos Origins.  Still haven't beaten it, totally intend to.  That Pac-Man quest might just not be worth it...  But the game is hard, so it'd be nice to get the super rewards. :(

Trying to think, I can't say I really have one.  I play or I drop it.
Technically Xenoblade?  I bought it day 1, sold it, bought it back a year later?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »

Yeah, I can't really go back to a game after taking two months off of it without just starting over. I think the longest I can remember is the first Tales of Xillia because I couldn't be bothered to start it over, so after going back to it eight months later I chose to try and figure out how to play it again from where I left off. So that one took me a little over a year to finish.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 02:48:30 PM »

I'm not sure... I know I made a total of four attempts to play through Final Fantasy VI (spanning three platforms). First was in 2000 and I finally succeeded in 2013. I did have to start a new playthrough, though, since the third attempt was on the PSone and the fourth on the Wii VC. Same with Earthbound: first attempt in 2000, succeeded in 2014.

As for saves I could actually continue... I think my last Skies of Arcadia save is from 2009. Twice I asked a gaming community what I should play and finish as my 2xxth game, but SoA ended up in second place on both the poll for 200th and 250th RPG. The good news is that the counter is currently sitting at 264 finished RPGs, so if I keep up my current pace Skies of Arcadia will have another shot in 2016.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 06:32:44 PM »

Ok, I'll clarify some baseline rules for this.

- Finish as in go from beginning to end, not 100% the game
- Dropped games which are started anew later don't count. Only lapse of one playthrough (continuous save file)

Mine is clearly The Legend of the Dragoon.

It took me a little over SEVEN YEARS to finish my game.

The game is such a slug to play through that I would always lose interest in it and wait several months before forcing myself to play some more of it.
I'm still glad I finished it instead of dropping it.

I do think that the game would be incredible if it had better pacing.
Also, everything about Rose is gold. The best parts of the story were about the dragoons of old.

Disks 1 and 2 were a slog, but 3 and 4 were great.  The ending was killer too.  What would have made the game better for me is if the timing for additions was more forgiving/less finicky. 

The game I can remember it taking me years to get from beginning to end was the original Legend of Zelda.  I started that game when I was 9 or 10 and only finished it when I was in my mid-teens. 

I have nothing funny to say.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 03:37:33 AM »

Current record is Last Rebellion. Started it up in 2010 and just finished it up last year. Not that it really matters that it was the same save file as I quit almost as soon as I found a save point. That game was just bad.

*looks left*.

Um..  Baten Kaitos Origins.  Still haven't beaten it, totally intend to.  That Pac-Man quest might just not be worth it...  But the game is hard, so it'd be nice to get the super rewards. :(
Ah fudge, thank you for reminding me that I still have that left undone. I don't think I am ever going to actually finish it though. I'm pretty sure I am right at the end of the game since I quit after repeatedly dying to the bosses for the ultimate cards, but I have run away from random battles too many times for me to be at a level where I can actually fight things.
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 08:48:27 PM »

One that comes to mind for me is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.  Played it a little on a borrowed N64 in 2000 or 2001, never got very far and had to give the N64 back.  Bought the Zelda Collection disc for GameCube in 2006-ish, and played the very beginning of it right after getting it.  Then fast forward to the end of 2011 and I finally decide to finish it, doing so on Christmas Day.  So right around a decade for an extremely popular game. 

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 12:14:05 AM »

I'm surprised that Zelda is a recurring one.
I thought people liked Zelda games =P
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 04:22:35 PM »

I'm surprised that Zelda is a recurring one.
I thought people liked Zelda games =P

I love Zelda, but there's always a slog point in every game, and I usually "take a break" for a couple years whenever I hit that point...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 09:06:53 AM »

I still got my save at the final dungeon in Valkyrie Profile 2. Still haven't beaten it, maybe never will. The other is Chrono Cross, I think I made it back to the palace/tower seen in the intro sequence.

More realistically speaking, a year is usually the most I take to beat something, unless maybe it has like two or more routes that can't be cheesed too easily (like Front Mission 3), so I MIGHT play it later if I happen to care enough. Seriously though, I prefer to have some kind of extras for a 2nd run even if the game provides big story differences.

As for more normal cases, Lunar SSSC and Resonance of Fate took me from anywhere between half a year to year to beat. I'm not too great at handling something as archaic as Lunar these days so anything other than the story (or more like the mood/dialogue) felt like a slog. With Resonance, I actually didn't enjoy anything that had to do with plot, but liked playing the actual game quite a bit. The reason it took long was because I moved away from my PS3 for the summer and just kind of did other things. I probably should try doing that every summer now that I think about it, might be better for both my health and avoiding RPG-burnouts.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 11:21:54 AM »

I tend to replay games from scratch if I put them down for too long but I do have one golden nugget of a game that comes to mind.
Riven.
Took me roughly 6 years after getting stuck. I probably restarted the game a few times along the way but, because of the rather specific way Riven is constructed, I consider the booklet I made, where I noted down everything I discovered about the game and its world, to be my true "save file".
So yeah, 6 years because I failed at
clicking on a door I came through to close it and reveal a passage
It made my jaw drop once I figured it out, couldn't quite believe I missed it.
Went on to pretty much blast through the game, because by that point I was a walking Riven encyclopedia.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:32:29 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 12:55:33 PM »

Yeah... that's why I hated Riven.

The hardest part of the game are the 'not puzzles' bullshit scattered around that you need to guide-dang-it.
The actual puzzles, I managed to solve after some time.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: