Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 09:00:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338137 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Most Favourite Gaming Moments~!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Most Favourite Gaming Moments~!  (Read 381 times)
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »

I'll be brief.  Unlike Aeolus, who only *said* that he'd be brief :P

Death Mountain in Chrono Trigger
Entering the second castle in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
The crumbling bridge near the end of Shadow of the Colossus
The day the world changes in Final Fantasy VI
The last stand in Red Dead Redemption
Landing on the Fallen Arm in XenoBlade
Wheatley's character turn in Portal 2
The ending to Breath of Death VII: The Beginning.  I was not expecting such a silly story to end on a poignant note. 
The very first time you walk around in Mario 64 (HOLY CRAP THIS IS THE 3D FUTURE)
The death of Papas/Pankraz in Dragon Quest V (NEVER FORGET)

I'm sure I could think of others, but there is Dragon Age: Inquisition I could be playing right now. 

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 10:01:38 PM »

The good ending in Chrono Cross + ending credits. 'nuff said.

Had I thought of it, I would have specifically mentioned successfully casting Chrono Cross. That was truly one of the greatest moments in gaming.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 01:34:13 AM »

I'll be brief.  Unlike Aeolus, who only *said* that he'd be brief :P

Death Mountain in Chrono Trigger
Entering the second castle in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
The crumbling bridge near the end of Shadow of the Colossus
The day the world changes in Final Fantasy VI
The last stand in Red Dead Redemption
Landing on the Fallen Arm in XenoBlade
Wheatley's character turn in Portal 2
The ending to Breath of Death VII: The Beginning.  I was not expecting such a silly story to end on a poignant note. 
The very first time you walk around in Mario 64 (HOLY CRAP THIS IS THE 3D FUTURE)
The death of Papas/Pankraz in Dragon Quest V (NEVER FORGET)

I'm sure I could think of others, but there is Dragon Age: Inquisition I could be playing right now. 

To be fair, I could've been there all day listing off stuffs that I enjoyed.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 09:43:40 AM »

They fucked up the physics.  Everything is absolutely the same as before, but when you're on a colossi or trying to climb it, the Hero tends to lose balance super easily when they sway about.  You'll keep your footing but waste a lot of time stumbling about.  It's not that bad during the main game nor game breaking, but it will basically require you to hunt for lizards (eating them ups the in-game Grip Meter) for some of the harder fights but it makes the game INCREDIBLY frustrating for Time Attacks that you have to really pull your best tricks and pray for a good spot of luck.

Really? I thought you were going to talk about the framerate or any other technical aspects, but not how they rebalanced a part of the game to something you aren't particulary fond of.

For what's worth however I'll throw my 2 cents; I've played both versions of SotC. And the PS3 version is a clear improvement over the original release. More it could be done to make SotC a smoother experience but that would be messing around too much with the original game.

I appreciate the input.

It does sound like a matter of personal preference. Since I've never played the original version, I wouldn't even know the difference. Sweet.

EDIT:

Cecil's Class Job Change in Final Fantasy IV.

This one was a biggie for me as well. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:46:04 AM by natros » Logged
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 11:59:11 AM »

Finally advancing past the troll cave in Perils of Rosella. Ok gimme a break, I was like 7 at the time and that cave scared the crap out of me! I dithered for ages trying to avoid it because the darkness + chasm + hungry troll lurking about was pretty scary at the time.

The Golbez battle in the underworld's dwarven castle in FFIV.

Celes's suicide in FFVI.

Meeting Yunelesca in FFX. The ending of FFX.

The world being destroyed within the first ten minutes of the game in Nocturne.

Digital Devil Saga (1 + 2) gave me many chills. I still consider that one of the most amazing games story-wise. Its hard to list them all. I am reading the book version now, and damn if it makes me want to dust off the PS2 and play it again.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »

The obvious ones I can remember easily are:

Castle Fantasia (+Renewal)
If you follow the path for freedom, you end up doing a chain of onslaught missions where the country's military is trying to kill your group before you desert and fleet by sea.
The difficulty goes way up (hardest in the whole game) and a special background song starts playing. It's the first and only voiced song in the game.
It's a really incredible experience as you fight the kingdom's oppression against terrible odds.
I've never felt as 'engaged' in a game's moment as this one

The song (if you consider ever playing the game, don't listen - keep the magic for that moment): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7xqCWy-EW8

Ar Tonelico 2
Using Replekia and then harmonic chain. POWER OVERWHELMING !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt1ASvGnkVE#t=83

Ever17
The ending
MIND = BLOWN

Terranigma
The ending screen
I stood there for MINUTES just looking at it.

Final Fantasy V
Gilgamesh turning traitor
I'm sad that now Gilgamesh is just a gag extra boss in recent FFs =(

Chrono Trigger
Opening the path to Magus' castle (the Masamune)

Star Ocean 3
The fight against Crossel.
I like the build-up to it, the fact that he is enormous and the awesome song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoLLM72RKPA#t=114

Almost forgot!!!

Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
VASCILLIA SKIES!!!
By far one of the best level out of any game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8tIjRDz0cA#t=355
+ boss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tjr2pvus6A
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:16:59 PM by Annubis » Logged
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 02:46:31 PM »

I thought of one more (again, these are more personal moments than just events that happen in games)

Was fighting the true final boss in Persona 4 and I get to the part at the end of the fight where it starts casting it's one hit KO's and your other party members take the hits for your MC. The music lined up such that as the other party members were pushing the MC out of the way the music was playing the sort-of Grand Finale sounding remix of Reach Out to the Truth at the end of the loop.

I was absolutely floored with how climactic it felt with that part of the music playing. I still get goosebumps just thinking about it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 04:18:30 PM by Klutz64 » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »

Oh oh oh!
The battle against Nyx avatar in Persona 3.

THE ARCANA IS THE MEANS BY WHICH ALL IS REVEALED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unxCsAmJbHY

I love the arcana quotes whenever he shifts.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »

Back when I was younger, during the 16-bit days, there were times when my folks and this other kid's folks would take day trips to NYC and we'd both hang out at my house and play video games all day.  Games I couldn't beat on my own, this kid and I would end up beating together.  Those were some of my favorite gaming moments, back in the days when we rode our bikes to friends' houses and would go over to each others' houses to play multiplayer games.

And another memorable moment was one I talked about in an episode of the Rhythm Encounter podcast.  During a massive get-together, a plastic cup (like a 6 oz cup) got knocked over and cola spilled all over my Genesis.  It was a first-generation Genesis that you could fit the Power Base Converter on (to play Master System games.)  Except for a shot reset button, the thing worked perfectly for decades onward.  I don't have that Genny any more (I think it got lost in a move) but if I were to plug it in now, it would still work I'm sure of it.  I'd like to see any of my modern day consoles survive a cola spill.  

Oh, and I remember when Mortal Kombat first came out in arcades.  There was a massive controversy about all the blood and brutal finishing moves in that game.  I think that was the first domino that signaled that mainstream gaming was growing up.  That gamers weren't just young kids any more.  Sure, PC gamers still had mature games (e.g. Leisure Suit Larry with its age test) but not every household back then had a game-ready PC yet everyone had a Nintendo.  I was a shy kid, but that's how I broke the ice with other kids my age- everyone had a Nintendo so we'd talk about video games.  Bam!  Instant new friend.

I know I'm totally dating myself with these examples, but I've talked enough about in-game moments that I enjoyed, so I wanted to go a different route and talk about more life/cultural gaming moments.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:45:13 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 07:32:17 PM »

Oh, and I remember when Mortal Kombat first came out in arcades.  There was a massive controversy about all the blood and brutal finishing moves in that game.  I think that was the first domino that signaled that mainstream gaming was growing up.  That gamers weren't just young kids any more.

I will never forget that either. Being a young gamer myself at the time, I was totally captivated by the hype/buzz created by the advent of MK-Gore. I still remember when it hit consoles and other kids at school were not allowed to play it by parents because of media attention the 16-bit gobs of red fostered. Good times.

That was a real good one Monsoon, kudos.

When the local rental store set up the N64 with Mario to sample-play it was awe inspiring. Most definately another "I'll never forget it moments". But more then that, I think that marked one of the greatest evolutions to witness in terms of gaming. That was a time I am very grateful to have experienced first-hand in my youth. Pure magic.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: