Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 04, 2015, 06:30:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
363726 Posts in 14736 Topics by 2302 Members
Latest Member: Eppie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Best First Towns in an RPG
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Best First Towns in an RPG  (Read 4003 times)
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 03:34:25 PM »

Does Midgar count as a town?

I figure the OP counted Midgar, so it's fair game.  Midgar was probably my favorite part of FF7, and I wish more had been done with it.

I have nothing funny to say.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 02:20:15 AM »

BG2's Athkatla is pretty memorable, which I'd hope so, since it's made up of like 6 different town areas, not to mention all the extra places hidden underneath.

And I'm gonna ditto all of Dice's picks. (SO2fistbump)

I know this is cheating, but I also love the first town you go to after the starting city of Alexandria in FF9: Dali. The music and the design for the town is so serene and calming.

This is also cheating, but I'm going to say most SaGa Frontier towns are quite good and very memorable.
timmyFd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2015, 03:55:54 PM »

It's a bit of an old topic, I realise, but it's one I enjoy talking about.
I'd echo a few that've been mentioned already.

Alexandria in FF9- it really did a brilliant job of setting the tone for that wonderful game. The entire Mist Continent in FF9 is intruiging actually. The only place that wasn't particularly interesting was Burmecia, mostly because you only ever see it when it's abandoned and fucked up.

Colony 9- Still waiting for the 3DS version to finish this game but I explored this entire 'area' pretty extensively. They really did a great job with the world design in this game. They perfectly captured the feeling of civilisation that's been bolted together in a very wild environment.

Clock Town in Majora's Mask- So many interesting characters for a Zelda game with so much to do. I'd maybe place Hyrule in OoT ahead as the more interesting world overall but none of the other Zelda games have a town with as much depth as this. It really feels like a living breathing place rather than just a backdrop or conduit to the story progression.

Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2015, 01:00:09 AM »

Oh! This IS a fun topic! I'm late to the party, but whatever. Lots of great towns mentioned here, for sure.

For me, I really like Rabanstre in FFXII. It sets up that game so nicely, and is so vibrant and full of life. The music is fun and lively and makes you want to hustle about it.

Also agree that Alexandria in FFIX does as timmyFd said in setting the tone.

Finally, beginning your adventure in Pallet Town is always memorable for me. Even though it makes NO sense because there aren't enough homes for the amount of people there. Nor bathrooms. Or beds. But whatever. It's where it all begins and it has stuck with me for some reason.

Just Greg, thanks.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 05:48:19 AM »

Finally, beginning your adventure in Pallet Town is always memorable for me. Even though it makes NO sense because there aren't enough homes for the amount of people there. Nor bathrooms. Or beds. But whatever. It's where it all begins and it has stuck with me for some reason.

Plenty of SuperNESes though.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Perigryn

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2015, 08:22:32 PM »

Plenty of SuperNESes though.

HA!

Maybe they're fancy foldout SNESes!?

Just Greg, thanks.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2015, 08:41:43 PM »

That's one reason I liked Tales of Destiny.  In that game, every house in every town had a full bathroom with a toilet.  Even the airship had a toilet.  The whole lack of toilets in JRPGs was a major plot point in our infamous round robin: http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=14636.0

Favorite first town is still Gregminster in Suikoden because of its music. 

I also really liked Rabanastre in FF12.  I spent hours just wandering around Rabanastre doing nothing at all, simply because it was a really cool town. 

Perigryn

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2015, 03:03:30 AM »

That's one reason I liked Tales of Destiny.  In that game, every house in every town had a full bathroom with a toilet.  Even the airship had a toilet.  The whole lack of toilets in JRPGs was a major plot point in our infamous round robin: http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=14636.0

There is a lot to be said for this! It has been really frustrating playing so many JRPGs where basic human needs were so heedlessly overlooked! Where do you eat!? There are 5 of you! There aren't any beds!

In fantasy JRPGs, I can forgive the lack of restroom because, let's face it, most peasants did it in a dirt trough out back. But in something more modern, no excuse, yo'.

Just Greg, thanks.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 05:02:35 PM »

i kinda liked the first town in skies of arcadia though the name escapes me.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 11:01:13 AM »

Oh, how could I forget Boyzby in Thousand Arms.  That town was fun to explore, was the setting for many of Meis's early misadventures like
Code:
when he delivers a fixed cooking pot to a lady and while he's hooking up with her, her husband comes home and literally tosses him out!
, and I LOVED its music.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8srCqSrhAfs&t=2m26s

Nilson
Contributing Editor

Your mother and I think you should leave.

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2015, 11:32:03 AM »

Does Midgar count as a town?

I figure the OP counted Midgar, so it's fair game.  Midgar was probably my favorite part of FF7, and I wish more had been done with it.

Probably one of the greatest moments in any RPG is when you get out of Midgar onto the world map and are like "I didn't even know the game was going to be like this!"

Also, Kokiri Village.

It's my time of the night: http://nilson.itch.io/gravecamp
Chronus ate his children in the Dungeon of Love simply because he had no time to cook a proper meal, my man. He never read the guide to -Fast Food-...
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 06:44:10 AM »

Also, Kokiri Village.

My problem with Kokiri Village is that I see all those particle effects floating around and am reminded of my time in the Mountain wilderness of Colorado where the air was the same and just how much my allergies sucked back then (hint: they still suck).

Also, I felt that the village was a bit too tutorialish for me. Especially since you have to run around hunting for 40 rupees for a Shield when you will basically never need to spend 40 or more rupees in a shop again (excluding the Happy Mask Shop and vanity purchases of potions; also, minigame parlors don't count). Also for a mysterious/mystical village of forest nymphs, it could've been better situated in the forest instead of just one measly rope bridge from the entrance.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: