Author Topic: Today In The News

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Today In The News
« Reply #2055 on: June 07, 2017, 01:46:21 PM »
His sons do have this whole 'bumbling henchmen' vibe going on. Reminds me of Futurama.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:13:51 PM by Tomara »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: June 07, 2017, 01:48:18 PM »
Well, when I read this I grow more and more convinced that Trump is some sort of cartoon supervillain.  I mean come on, stealing money intended to help kids with cancer has got to be a new kind of low.
Trump's a monster, but what he's doing here isn't really stealing...technically...supposedly. He's still a fuckwad for charging his son for services he owns anyway, which barely make a fraction of a percent of impact on their own operating costs for the locations his golf tournaments are held, but I mean...it's not stealing...

I disagree.  If they were upfront about the costs you would be right, but they weren't.  They told the people donating (who weren't the Trumps, god forbid they put their own money in their charity...) that the venue was being provided at no cost and all the money was going to charitable causes while in actuality a good chunk was going directly to Trump businesses.  That's fraud at best.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: June 07, 2017, 01:54:52 PM »
Well, when I read this I grow more and more convinced that Trump is some sort of cartoon supervillain.  I mean come on, stealing money intended to help kids with cancer has got to be a new kind of low.
Trump's a monster, but what he's doing here isn't really stealing...technically...supposedly. He's still a fuckwad for charging his son for services he owns anyway, which barely make a fraction of a percent of impact on their own operating costs for the locations his golf tournaments are held, but I mean...it's not stealing...

I disagree.  If they were upfront about the costs you would be right, but they weren't.  They told the people donating (who weren't the Trumps, god forbid they put their own money in their charity...) that the venue was being provided at no cost and all the money was going to charitable causes while in actuality a good chunk was going directly to Trump businesses.  That's fraud at best.
Fraud I'll agree to, even if it's just a fancier way of saying they're thieves. It's not like the money just up and vanished, they know where it is, he just abused legal loopholes to put it where he wanted.

TASTY!

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: June 07, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »
abused legal loopholes

It's not legal though...

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: June 07, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »
abused legal loopholes

It's not legal though...
The article didn't mention anything about his actions being illegal, at least as far as I read, but I won't lie, I skimmed cuz reading in the car makes me carsick at times.

TASTY!

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: June 07, 2017, 04:07:02 PM »
Using charity money for your own benefit is usually called 'self-dealing' and is not legal.  It's a violation of tax laws at the very least since charitable contributions are treated differently  for tax purposes.  In this case since there seems to be actual deception involved so it could be more than that.  Mind you it's the sort of thing that's punished with fines, not jailtime, etc.  We can't throw wealthy white-collar criminals in jail.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: June 08, 2017, 12:44:47 PM »
The James Comey testimony was very interesting, history in the making I'd say.

McCain was perhaps the most strange part of the whole thing though. He seems like he'd be at home in the Trump administration.

Marshmallow

• OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: June 09, 2017, 01:34:45 AM »
I'd be more interested in the Comey testimony if I felt as though it was going to change anything regarding Trump's presidency, although I don't think it will.  I'd give several fingers on my right hand to see him get forcibly removed from office and sent to jail, though.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: June 09, 2017, 11:54:19 PM »
Very little chance anything will happen because it would require Republicans to actually recognize reality for once. They're probably just plugging their ears hoping the electorate will forget everything by the time the next election rolls around (to be fair that's not that risky of a bet). Transplant a single week of Trump's disastrous presidency to Obama's and they would've already been working on impeachment. Republicans won't be doing that now because it's more important to line the pockets of billionaires and persecute minorities.

And I'm not sure if McCain was having a stroke or just doing the typical "butheremails benghazi pizzagate" garbage Republicans fall back on to avoid ever having to address anything. Either one's possible with the guy.

Well, at least there's some kind-of good news coming out of Britain?

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
  • the dark souls of dryboys
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #2064 on: June 10, 2017, 05:00:16 AM »
Kinda but not really. The good news is that Corbyn proved to the media and his naysayers that he is very much electable. Labour galvanized the youth for the first time since pre-9/11 and won over thirty seats.

The (very) bad news is that the Tories are forming a coalition government with the DUP, a hard right ex-terrorist faction who hate gays, are anti-abortion, and believe the earth is flat.

Best case scenario is that we get another election within the next two years, and who knows what will happen if that happens. For now I'm celebrating that Theresa May looks like an idiot, but things aren't optimal.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: June 12, 2017, 06:31:52 AM »
^Also, Lord Buckethead raised some excellent points, proving there are still unexpected voices of reason to be found in all this madness.

(Meanwhile, the parties in the Netherlands are still trying to form a four party coalition, but atleast that's not dominating the news anymore and we've moved on to other important issues, such as making more and better bicycle lanes for all those fancy and fast e-bikes.)