Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 01:31:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329857 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Finishing What is Left Undone
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Finishing What is Left Undone  (Read 346 times)
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 04:19:03 PM »

I've got some stuffs that I will likely never beat. Like Armored Core games or Gundam Crossfire, because unfortunately I was not blessed with the skills of being able to play mecha sims, no matter how much I wanted to. The other is fighting games (sorry blazblue). I've got some (physical) RPG backlog that I'd like to clear though:

Atelier Rorona Plus
Fallout Collection
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Grandia
Persona 3 FES
Tales of Symphonia: DotNW (Chronicles version)
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria

Unfortunately I hit a huge RPG block after beating 9 RPGs earlier this year and still haven't recuperated. I have an annual goal of 10 RPGs and I guess I overdid it a little. I'm quite happy if I can clear even one of these this year and maybe 2 during the next. After all, I'd have played them ages ago already if I really wanted to.
MacGamer

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 04:42:59 PM »

According to howlongtobeat.com if I play all of my backlogged games 3 hours a day, every day, until they are all finished, I'll emerge triumphant just in time for Christmas 2020.  yeesh

I've been looking up my back log on howlongtobeat.com too.  Most of them are pretty standard fair (10-30 hrs) the one that actually terrifies me is Dragon Warrior VII . . . 104 hours . . . for the main story . . . oh god, what have I gotten myself into >_<
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »

This sort of happened to me in late 2010 or early 2011.  That's when I started writing down lists of games I finished on the year - first in my university's gaming club's forums, and eventually on my own blog.  I started the Completion List 2013 and 2014 threads here as a companion to that more personal thing.  My backlog is worse than yours (but maybe not as bad as some of the others alluded to here), but setting goals and making lists has done very well for me. 

...but I still buy games.  It's my hobby and my obsession.  No way I'm quitting game-buying, with Dragon Age III and Persona 5 on the horizon. 

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 07:31:28 AM »

Tales of Symphonia: DotNW (Chronicles version)
Just pretend this one does not exist. You'll be happier. Tempted to say the same for Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, but its loli-stalker ending does not compare with the horror that is DotNW.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 10:30:24 AM »

...but I still buy games.  It's my hobby and my obsession.  No way I'm quitting game-buying, with Dragon Age III and Persona 5 on the horizon. 

It's the same for me. I know I have many good games in my backlog (which was 46 titles long last time I checked) that deserve to be played, but there are also plenty games I look forward to or want to play but haven't bought yet. My solution is balance.

-I play most new game very soon after they come out. Having to review many of them helps a lot.

-When new releases are slow, I buy games I've wanted to play for some time now on Steam. My rule here is that the games need to be on sale and that they must have been on my wishlist for atleast some time. Impulse buys are strictly forbidden. In the past three months I bought 20 games on Steam, I've played through 18 of them thus far.

-Nothing new on the horizon and no Steam sales to take advantage off? Then it's time to play something I've had for years. I try to go through 2-3 games from the deep end of my backlog every year. Slow and steady.

Over at another forum we have a list similar to the completion list here but with one important difference: you list the games you bought as well. Finish a game and you get a point, buy one and you lose one. The goal is to end the year with a positive score. I'm -3 right now, because of several new releases (Xillia 2, Danganronpa 2) and those two Steam games. My best score was +4, somewhere in April.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »

Just pretend this one does not exist. You'll be happier. Tempted to say the same for Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, but its loli-stalker ending does not compare with the horror that is DotNW.

Interesting. I did manage to beat stuff like vanilla Neptunia though, so I think I'll at least try it. Not sure about VP, but my tastes have changed since the time I bought it. I think I might be able to appreciate it now from a game design and aesthetic standpoint. Tri-ace (and sometimes SEGA) games give me this good vibe that I can't quite explain.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 04:00:43 PM »

Both games have pretty fun battle systems, so there's that too. It's the main reason I can't really hate DotNW. (The second reason being that Richter is kinda hot. What, no one said I had to have good reasons to like it!)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: