Author Topic: Today In The News

Towns Car Marty

• RPGFan Editor
  • for  play  in  town  &  car
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
Re: Today In The News
« Reply #1740 on: Today at 03:00:48 AM »
It's not necessarily the left wing. Alex Jones believes all the Bush conspiracies and he's one of the most ardent Trump supporters.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: Today In The News
« Reply #1741 on: Today at 06:46:26 AM »
But yeah you expressed what I was trying to say better than I did- I was just saying conspiratorial thoughts aren't limited to any particular political leaning but you're right that for the moment it's certainly a bigger problem from the right. Like, actual "threat to our way of life" level of threat IMO. What is the solution here, censoring all "fake news"? Clearly trying to provide facts doesn't phase stupid/crazy people.
Well here is the terrifying thing about trying to fix this problem. Apparently, when confronted with facts that run counter to their beliefs, people generally actually cling more fiercely to their beliefs rather than adjusting their views to account for the new facts. It is called the Backfire Effect. So trying to prove that fake stories are fake may actually end up making the people who believe in them believe even more strongly. I really don't know what the actual solution is though.