Author Topic: Artimicia's JRPG battle

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
Re: Artimicia's JRPG battle
« Reply #195 on: Today at 12:09:26 PM »
The only thing that really got me with Lucas Blight is that the guy has mommy issues.
The game pretty much points to something there being the entire problem with him but doesn't actually give you an answer.

It's been a while so I don't remember very well, but I think you could fill the blanks to something like this?
Spoiler: show
his mother was of low birth and it made his entire life a hell among other nobles. His hatred for her for making him turned him into a misogynist, his hatred for his father tossing his mother aside into a patricist and his hatred for his bullies/fellow man a psychopath.

He didn't really hate his mother actually.
Spoiler: show
The whole Luca Blight's father running away like a coward and leaving Luca, and his mother at the mercy of bandits incident ruined him. Luca's mother sacrificed herself to save Luca and then she was raped by the bandits. Luca's mother later dies giving birth to his sister. Luca found out  Muse  was behind the bandits attack, and then gradually went insane from his hatred of his coward father who had abandoned them, and muse for setting up that ambush. That snowballed to the point where he hated pretty much everyone who lived, except his bandit sired sister who he cared for slightly, and that was only because she looked like his mother.

Luca Blight gave into his madness and had no regrets doing so. He would have slaughtered every man, woman, and child in the City State and, probably would have razed his own country Highland to the ground after he got through with the City State.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:11:27 PM by Chronix112 »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Today at 01:29:14 PM »
Kefka in many ways reminds me of the Joker from Batman. He is driven by chaos, nothing more. All he does is to create suffering and horror, and he will do everything he can to achieve his desires. Kefka is something to admire as a villian because most villians have some weakness in their morality...Kefka doesn't.

TASTY!

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #197 on: Today at 01:34:35 PM »
I'm gonna be real boring and say I like villains who aren't 100% evil. More they're an idealistic clash with the protagonist, rather than a straight-out cold blooded murderer. Not that I dislike the latter, but it's whatever's appropriate to the game.

Now I absolutely adore Kefka as a villain, but I don't think he'd work very well if you placed his character in an RPG now. You only have to look at how Square has butchered him in Dissidia to see why...

I haven't played Suikoden 2 so I can't comment on Luca Blight.

Sort of like Ghaleon from Lunar?  There is definitely something sympathetic about him.

Yeah, I'd say so. You and Goose nailed it really.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: Today at 02:57:47 PM »
Kefka in many ways reminds me of the Joker from Batman. He is driven by chaos, nothing more. All he does is to create suffering and horror, and he will do everything he can to achieve his desires. Kefka is something to admire as a villian because most villians have some weakness in their morality...Kefka doesn't.

Good examples of why all individuals need something greater than Self in their lives.
Current RPG - Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC