Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2016, 11:04:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
244163 Posts in 7306 Topics by 2386 Members
Latest Member: Richard111
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] Print
Author Topic: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread  (Read 46633 times)
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

^ Idiot

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #810 on: July 16, 2016, 11:14:35 PM »

Valkyrie Profile was excellent, but that game took itself way too seriously sometimes.  Great gameplay, though, except for breakable weapons.  I've never liked that mechanic, except in Hexyz Force. 

I *kinda* liked the weapon breaking in VP just because it usually only applied to the broken gear anyways that would OHKO the worst of the worst, so it was a trade-off.  

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #811 on: July 17, 2016, 02:57:09 AM »

Valkyrie Profile was excellent, but that game took itself way too seriously sometimes.  Great gameplay, though, except for breakable weapons.  I've never liked that mechanic, except in Hexyz Force. 

I *kinda* liked the weapon breaking in VP just because it usually only applied to the broken gear anyways that would OHKO the worst of the worst, so it was a trade-off.  

I just wished they didn't break upon their very first use. Last the goddamn battle dammit!

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #812 on: July 17, 2016, 05:18:10 AM »

So, Star Ocean aside, what did folks think of the first English trailer for Exist Archive (hey, that's an upcoming Tri-Ace game).  http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2016/5060.html

The trailer did scream "I'm more anime than anime!!!" especially with that pink kitty Power Ranger at 1:07 and that music (which I was happily bobbing my head to.)  So hopefully that game turns out to be a fun and enjoyable romp.  I'm obviously not expecting Le Morte d'Arthur or Citizen Kane, but I am hoping for characters where I say, "...alright, I'll hang out with you guys.  You seem like fun" and solid gameplay.  So far, it seems like it could be an apology for SO5.     
I've been looking forward to the game since it was announced, but the first "English" trailer did nothing for me since I'm pretty sure it is just the boot up movie.
danholo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #813 on: July 17, 2016, 08:56:47 AM »

Also, I'm about 10 hours in and over level 40. What other game does that happen in?

Most games cap at 99, SO usually caps at 255.

I know this. That's not my point. You start hitting much higher levels (100+) during post game content as the bosses are difficult even at the peak level.

d.h.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #814 on: July 18, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »

Valkyrie Profile was excellent, but that game took itself way too seriously sometimes.

Understatement. Honestly, I think the reason I've always been turned off VP1 was because of how intense it is from the word 'go'. Even Nier didn't set itself up to be quite as stern-faced and dreary, and that game starts at the End of the World!

I mean, VP was setting itself up to be a tragedy, and considering the Norse mythos, especially involving valkyries, it makes sense...but it quickly became heavy handed after a while, and I couldn't really take it seriously, no matter how much it wanted me to. I'm trying really hard to not call it "melodramatic" since that implies that the subjects weren't worth taking seriously, but I still think they overdid it. It didn't help that the voice acting sucked, that added to the cheesiness, honestly.

While you two are talking about something that falls on the player's shoulders how to perceive, Valkyrie Profile's setting and tone didn't pulled anything away from what it wanted to be as an RPG and as well as a narrative. Is one of the few RPGs in fact from tri-Ace that is incredibly hard to dismiss in any regard.
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #815 on: July 18, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »

I kinda liked how seriously VP took itself.  At that point in my teens I was looking for something serious to balance out all the silly I had in my life.

But upon replay I might not like it.  Not that I'm going to.

Current RPG - Stardew Valley.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

^ Idiot

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #816 on: July 18, 2016, 07:41:04 PM »

I never really noticed it taking itself too seriously beyond maybe the graphics not being up-to-snuff for what it was trying to show and the occasional hammy line reading.  I'm also pretty sure Ash Ketchum voices like five different characters, so the small VA cast was a little distracting too.
I think it's still the only well-done tri-Ace story. :P

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Towns Car Marty
For Play in Town and Car!
RPGFan Editor

Crocodile, Side-Eye Style

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #817 on: July 19, 2016, 03:07:34 AM »

Yeah, the entire pokemon voice cast brought a lot of levity, no matter how intentional.

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #818 on: July 19, 2016, 09:45:17 AM »

I definitely remember that about VP, for sure.  Started it up... "Hey, that's Ash!"  A few minutes later: "Hey, that's Misty!"  And then on and on...

Current RPG - Stardew Valley.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #819 on: July 19, 2016, 10:02:16 AM »

I played VP before watching any Pokemon so this is all surprising to me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 09:40:47 AM by Annubis » Logged
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

Lanterne Rouge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #820 on: July 19, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »

At the end of the day, I'm cool with a moe anime game using Valkyrie Profile's engine.  It may not be as good as Valkyrie Profile (which I did say was an excellent game), but I'll probably have more fun with it.  Kinda like how Citizen Kane is one of the greatest movies ever made, but I'd rather watch Star Wars because it's more enjoyable to me. 

And with all the talk about Valkyrie Profile, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the A ending.  Getting the A ending required so many specific and often unintuitive steps that I felt like it was merely there to sell strategy guides.  However, that was a common practice in those days- create secrets so obscure that they were there simply to see strategy guides. 

So I say bring on Exist Archive.  At least it seems like it'll be better than SO5.  Okay, it's not lost on me that SO5's poor reception has probably lowered our standards. 

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
divingfalcons
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #821 on: July 19, 2016, 03:36:34 PM »

So I just got to the Cavaliero, and the difficulty seems to have spiked tenfold.

There was very little time to go and train before because I was stuck with just Miki and Fidel and the enemies were giving me less than 2000 experience points. I've got my ship back but I didn't think to check to see if I could do quests and just got thrust into this new dungeon.

I've gone from being over levelled by 2-3 levels to under levelled by around 10 levels in less than an hour. It's been a while since a game has put m in a bad mood.

Anyway. More positively, although that Exist Archive trailer is just okay, I am interested in the concept and the game itself. I guess I'll wait for the verdict and the European release date.

danholo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #822 on: July 20, 2016, 09:16:23 AM »

I didn't have that problem. I was constantly over-leveled during this playthrough, which I don't mind, because I don't have time to play on a higher difficulty.

Beat the game the other night and started the Maze of Tribulations. Music is there so am happy. Finally got killed by a boss there so the difficulty is ramping up but it's that Der-Suul guy whose explosion attack is devastating.

d.h.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #823 on: Today at 09:38:41 PM »

I decided to skip SO5 for now... honestly the JRPG I'm most interested in is Berseria, so I'm more just focused on Nintendo stuff like possibly Paper Splash and others.

VP1 is probably still Tri-Ace's best game, IMO.

SO2 is great but I think it's missing some of the kind of nadir of civilization/deep sense of crazy that motivated VP.

Although I'm actually kind of fond of SO1 in some ways... just so silly and inspired.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:40:28 PM by Artimicia » Logged
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #824 on: Today at 09:45:25 PM »

As for the secret ending... something I've been thinking about since coming to this forum a lot of those old JRPGs were kind of insanely nitpicky and kind of hard in annoyingly silly ways.

My most hated thing was actually the last "boss" of Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, where if you didn't play the Ocarina you would die to Dark Luna's random non-combat attacks. I seriously must of been the only person that actually died to that, and after that insanely long boss fight.

I basically returned it via rental and have had kind of a sour sense ever since.

Breath of Fire 3 was pretty great but also like that killer Shroom boss and a few other blocks were kind of absurd... or the bone dragon in BOF3 after you finally become an adult. I seriously think I must of fought that boss for like 18 hours.

Tri-Ace is definitely one of the most... you know... like the best ending in VP and how obscure it is.

That's one of the reasons I think I can appreciate FF a lot (and Tales, also) they really kind of understand their identity well, the cheapest FF boss is probably like... some FF4 boss maybe or something, 4-7 had some cheap ones, at times. FF1 could be pretty hard in kind of cheap ways at times though.

The fairest and best balanced FF was probably FF3 I think.. something like that.

It's also one of the reasons I like Dark Souls, or the Souls series in general, rather than kind of surprise you with cheap things it kind of sets the tone from the beginning that there's going to be obscure secrets, bosses that hit super hard, etc, and a mechanic based around dying.

I think sometimes maybe a lot of JRPGs were trying to be hard to be "games" when really they were.. well... JRPGs.. a combination of story in game in this unique way.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: