Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2016, 09:29:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
236829 Posts in 7064 Topics by 2350 Members
Latest Member: octorick
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  SMTxFE (aka 'GIRFE', aka 'PerformaEmblem')
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: SMTxFE (aka 'GIRFE', aka 'PerformaEmblem')  (Read 9212 times)
IhaveFURY
RPGFan Editor

Rocker, roller, out-of-controller.

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2016, 10:44:41 PM »

Well, I don't know what I just watched, but... yeah, I'll still give this a go.

I feel like, yeah, if this was a new IP or a Persona spinoff we'd be a bit more accepting of it. The Fire Emblem/SMT influence seems to come solely from the combat mechanics... but hey, it could still be really fun. I'm not above some cheesecake.

Delicious cheesecake...

IhaveFURY
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2016, 10:45:38 PM »

Though I was psyched by the initial reveal trailer just because of the rocket-powered robot pegasus.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2016, 01:59:10 AM »

The import impressions I've read are more positive than you might think. Some think the story is great, others don't like it as much (though I haven't seen any outright condemnations). I've heard nothing but good things about the gameplay, and what I've watched makes it look like a lot of fun. The session system, in particular (which is #FE's version of the "one more" bonus you get from attacking enemies' weaknesses), is flashy and fun, allowing potentially your entire crew (not just current party members) to get in on the action. And then there's the music, which sounds pretty catchy so far, even if you don't like J-pop (though please at least give Reincarnation a try).

If you're looking for more impressions, check out the Bilinguist review. I think he gives a pretty fair and spoiler-free overview of the game.

I'll admit that even I laughed out loud at the video that shall not be named, but I'm not letting a minute and a half of WTF sour me on a game where I've liked pretty much everything else I've seen. Though I can understand how it would be the last straw for people who have been turned off by the game since day one.

Yeah. I agree with you that Sessions are definitely a better feast/famine mechanic than SMTIV's Smirk was. But this does bring up a question of where the SMT mechanics end and the Persona mechanics begin.

But really though, my issue had been from the start that this isn't a good 'Crossover' game. It looks like yet another decent Persona game, which is great if you're a big fan of that, more power to you and all that. But if you're coming here from the FE side of things, you're probably better off getting Project X Zone 2 or sticking with Smash For instead. That video is, by far, the highlight of that series' contribution to the game, for better and for worse. The rest of the elements honestly do not feel like they have much impact at all, or had much to do with anything from the series.

An example was how they handled Cain and Abel being on different sides, a divide that makes sense when taken from the context of FE3 where Cain rides up to join your party directly, whereas Abel is forced to come at you as an enemy much later in the game, and its only by rescuing his girlfriend/lover Est that he'll finally join you (on the bench, for showing up well after the point where your active team is still accepting applicants). Here, Est and her sisters are a random miniboss squad that have little to no impact on the story. Abel is just antagonizing you due to being cursed to oppose Cain or whatever. It just doesn't really feel like it did what it could've, which given how the game is only drawing from FEs 1 (and by extension 3) and Awakening, makes what could've been feel really threadbare instead (you've got a series with the better part of half a thousand units, and heck most of Awakening's contributions consisted of one off bosses, who the hell remembers Gerrick or Pheros?).

And on the SMT side, well, for the most part, outside of the demons, which don't really have a set personality or anything really substantial to work with, there really wasn't a hell of a lot to begin with (every mainline game stars a silent protagonist, and maybe outside of the first one, none of them really have any notable presence in their own or successive games' stories), and the rest of the cast boils down to Law Hero, Chaos Hero, The Chick, maybe Steve not-Hawkings, Alice and maybe some third wheels like SMTIV's Navarre or a dog that eventually turns into Cerberus or what have you. But that said, mechanically, the game does feel more like an SMT title than a straight Persona title.

But that just brings me back to my point that this is not a good 'Crossover'. So the game's got a mix of SMT and Persona gameplay mechanics going on, but what's FE bringing to the table? Random Level Ups? A Split Class Promotion? A Weapon Triangle that's suspiciously similar to SMT's Melee/Gun division!? Not a hell of a lot considering that all Random Levels do is take away your tried and true SMT strategy of dumping everything into whichever stat lets you break the game's difficulty curve fastest, while Promotions prevents Fusing or other types of new Demon/Persona/FE Character acquisition and all the Weapon Triangle did was add two new Elements to the list of Resistances/Weaknesses. Sessions were the star of the show from this one, but again, that's closer to an SMT thing than an FE thing. I know Tiki doesn't add anything. She's just filling in for Igor. And the FE characters themselves are just Persona with a different name and source (next thing you know, they'll all be a bunch of cutthroats and thieves (and the designated chick)).

As far as the actual writing goes, the most I saw was in regards to Gangrel's Persona user abducting the manger lady. Your first confrontation with the guy ends with you getting zapped back to the start thanks to his camera. The solution? Get one of your own teammates into a bikini to pull him out of his obsession with the manager lady and let his new obsession distract him into summoning his Persona or something. Wouldn't it have been funny if somebody thought to bring a mirror instead? I wonder if any of these aspiring starlets would happen to carry even a pocket mirror with them in case of needing a last minute emergency touch up or something?

Well that, and SSJMarth and his magical recreation of a 90s NoJ Commercial.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2016, 01:02:48 AM »

Dice, rename this thread TMS#FE (aka 'PerformaEmblem') plz. ktia

(Too bad the localized title couldn't be "Tokyo Recording Session #FE" for a great TRS burn.)

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2016, 12:07:24 PM »

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-limited-edition-announced-west

Double Posting for all you Persona/Japanese FE Commercial fans out there. You may want to get on this one lickity quick.

NintenJunky

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2016, 12:30:35 PM »

Does anyone know when that special edition is going to be on Amazon?  It's already up on Gamestop but I'd rather get it from Amazon.
Klutz64

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2016, 11:59:58 PM »

I just realized that this title will most likely be the swan song of Wii U exclusives.

Seems... fitting. u_u

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2016, 03:05:28 AM »

I just realized that this title will most likely be the swan song of Wii U exclusives.

Seems... fitting. u_u

I know that it definitely wasn't worth either the 3+ year wait or getting a Wii U for (at least XBCX could be considered 'debatable').

Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2016, 03:32:16 AM »

Ah thank you Aeolus, I did not know there was going to a LE I think I may wants.

Despite my general lack of interest in Persona, this one has often seemed interesting enough for me.
Lian_Kazairl
Taskmistress
RPGFan Editor

Podcast Momma

View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2016, 09:29:05 AM »

Seems... fitting. u_u

I know that it definitely wasn't worth either the 3+ year wait or getting a Wii U for (at least XBCX could be considered 'debatable').

To each his own. If I didn't already have a Wii U for Xenoblade, I would be getting one for this.

I'm the Dark Souls of Xeno-everything and FFXII. YES, I CAN BE BOTH.
IhaveFURY
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2016, 02:50:36 PM »

Yeah, after seeing that Game Informer segment on this, I'm pretty much sold. It looks really fun.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: