Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2016, 02:02:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
241953 Posts in 7250 Topics by 2377 Members
Latest Member: NickRansbottom
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mass Effect 3 anyone?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 anyone?  (Read 1515 times)
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 11:34:45 PM »

Shamus Young is doing a series retrospective. He's covering ME3 now.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »

I'm just going to er... revive my own thread here slightly which is simply to say well regardless of how people feel about the ME3 ending the ME3 game and trilogy as a whole I thought were quite impressive. It was just so... like... epic and a lot of the characters and NPCs were really likable. I don't know like you have Hackett and he's just this like inspiring war general guy but you know he's compassionate also and even though he's making tough decisions he doesn't really always show the compassionate side but it's definitely there.

It's the same with a number of other ME characters, overall they just are pretty interesting and kind of make the experience better, all those interactions I think are secondary at times to the kind of "overarching plot" in my personal experience although I guess people weren't sure about it for X or Y reason.

Anyway, I don't know, it's just all the silly Canadian humor or something (which isn't to say that kind of thing is restricted to such a country of course!), or just the impressive progress in graphics or the accessibility, it's just a really impressive series.

But like that's just me the random fan I don't really necessarily consider myself super knowlegeable but it definitely has been/was like an interesting game. 
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 02:49:42 PM »

I enjoyed the first two Mass Effect games and played them quite a bit.  Mass Effect 3 doesn't still engender the hatred that it did.  I think it's less that I've gotten over the ending and more that I've forgotten about this series very quickly.  I had a talk with an RPGFan editor about Mass Effect the other day over Twitter...or tried to, because I couldn't remember the name of whatever alien race Garrus is, whatever alien race Mordin is, and whatever alien race Wrex is.

I don't think these games are gonna be ones that stick with me over the decades, man.

Heresy, I could rant about the lore of game but then again I am super nerd like that. To be fair, I'm sure I've replayed mass effect games far more than you. lol Ah, well. Just not your type of game.

I'll agree with the OP that Mass Effect 3 has a lot of tension and builded up to an ending that people couldn't accept for various reasons. But for the most part, its overblown and ME 3 got a bad rap for no good reason. Its still probably my favorite in the series. It definitely has the best combat in the series and some of the best storylines such as Tuchanka and Rannoch.

For me, personally, I really enjoyed the mass effect series. I'll remember it and replay it again some time in the future no doubt. (Will probably replay at least ME 3 when the release date for the new ME game comes closer).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:00:42 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 04:01:24 PM »

I recently replayed the ME trilogy, and I liked ME3 a lot more than I remember. I've always heralded ME2 as one of the best sci-fi games ever made, but ME3 is right there too. If you remove the ending controversy, it's just so immense and full of things to do, some amazing story lines and dialog, and is just infinitely immersive.

This time I tried it with the merge ending, which I never really hear about. To my surprise, it's the "happy ending" I think everyone wanted, and makes the most amount of sense. I hear people complain that "Shepard would never allow humanity to merge with synthetics", but I just don't buy that at all. The entire series has been about bringing civilizations together, both organic and synthetic. When faced with this "ultimate problem" that organics and synthetics will always annihilate each other (as ridiculous as that sounds), in their game universe, if you really face that as the reality, the merge option makes a lot of sense.

But at the same time I think that the gaming community, myself included, wasn't really interested in having the series culminate in such a universe-changing problem. Honestly, I'm not a fan, it felt forced. The main theme of the game was bringing peoples together to overcome an insurmountable foe, and I feel like it would have been simpler and more effective to just play that out.
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 04:14:15 PM »

All I know I is that I connected with FemShep in a way that I haven't with any other video game protagonist. 

And also Jack is one of the best supporting characters ever.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 05:58:15 AM »

This time I tried it with the merge ending, which I never really hear about. To my surprise, it's the "happy ending" I think everyone wanted, and makes the most amount of sense. I hear people complain that "Shepard would never allow humanity to merge with synthetics", but I just don't buy that at all. The entire series has been about bringing civilizations together, both organic and synthetic. When faced with this "ultimate problem" that organics and synthetics will always annihilate each other (as ridiculous as that sounds), in their game universe, if you really face that as the reality, the merge option makes a lot of sense.
Biggest problem with synthesis ending is that Shepard rejected the idea back in ME1. Well or maybe the biggest problem is that Shepard is just unilaterally deciding what's best for everyone in the galaxy. That random primitive tribe that has never even thought of technology beyond a bow and arrow on some undiscovered planet? They now have to live with techno organic parts. Although I know for other people the problem is the whole space magic aspect of it. Also for synthesis to make any sense, you have to accept Starbrat's claims that he is right. If you believe him to be full of hot air then synthesis is the solution to a non-existent problem. >.>
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 09:03:27 AM »

I don't know ending aside I was just really entertained by the game, I felt like it had everything Bioware gamey lots of jokes drama, epic, sad, everything it was a pretty special game I thought all things considered.

Dang sexy Canadians and their charming.... charms.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: