Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:52:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330166 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.  (Read 17763 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2013, 07:56:12 AM »

False, I want a good game as much as the next person. But I have little faith that they'll develop him past the sniveling woe is me type into something interesting.

Gameplay and narrative are two different things that they have to balance as much as they possibly can. If you look forward more to the game part, that's fine and I'm totally not criticizing you.

I just don't imagine that you are the kind of guy that can get into JRPG characters. That's all really.

Sorry to interrupt, continue posting links ad nauseum

Hey look! Salt. :9
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:39:10 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »

Unconsciously, I started hummming the Men in Black theme song when I saw the FF15 cast.  I love how freckles and moles are totally an "it" thing to show detail.  It works.

Could not disagree more. I don't want that level of fidelity in my games. I'm actually pretty turned off of the game already with how ultra-realistic they're trying to make the characters look. I wish I could fully explain why, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2013, 12:33:58 PM »

Unconsciously, I started hummming the Men in Black theme song when I saw the FF15 cast.  I love how freckles and moles are totally an "it" thing to show detail.  It works.

Could not disagree more. I don't want that level of fidelity in my games. I'm actually pretty turned off of the game already with how ultra-realistic they're trying to make the characters look. I wish I could fully explain why, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

I find it kind of weird how Squeenix sort of does realism these days.  Their form of 'realism' usually still involves bigger-than-nornal eyes (especially seen in FF13's Serah and the main heroine for this game, Stella), absolutely gravity-defying anime hair (Serah's can apply here too since her hairdo is so ripped-off anime that it barely can happen in real life; a lot of the boys here seem to prescribe to using Tetsuya's ultra-sticky-hair-putty hairstyles; the point is, anime hair doesn't translate into reality almost at all), and facial structures that aren't exactly Asian, but 'EurAsian'.  Despite looking almost absolutely real, it's still so far removed from it because of this weird anime-human hybrid that sort of comes off as uncanny.  The features are idealized to such a great extent that their lack of flaws seems almost unnatural.

I find you can also see this a lot in Tidus from FFX.  He looks great, I guess.  But that impish smile and stance is just about everything than what you'd naturally see in real life.  I mean, for god's sake, his CG artwork has his hands on his hips, smiling like a goofball, and puffing out his chest.  I do that in photos to be funny.

I kinda hark back to more what I said before though.  I love a lot of the way the supporting cast looks (I think Cor Leonis, with his goofy-but-badass name aside, looks like a real person; the hair isn't absolutely crazy, he has permanent frownlines -- unlike prettyboy Noctis -- and looks...y'know, kinda manly, but rugged as well).

I don't know if we're really on the same page, but that's just how I feel. But it seems unless an FF game is turned into a spin off or less-than-serious title, we won't see them go to a more "cartooney" style again like FF9.  Though I do wonder about it.

I hope Noctics the Dorkus dies in the intro chapter and we get a real hero

I've realized we're minorities in our mutual opinion of him.  Granted we haven't really seen him fleshed out....

I don't think for a second that Yoda cares about seeing Noctis (or anyone from XV) being fleshed out...
I've realized we're minorities in our mutual opinion of him.
What opinion? That he's not badass enough for the American audience?
False, I want a good game as much as the next person. But I have little faith that they'll develop him past the sniveling woe is me type into something interesting.

Sorry to interrupt, continue posting links ad nauseum

Yeah, Yoda nailed my beef with him.  Chances are if he looks "full of woe" he probably will act a bit pissy till he defrosts at some point later in the game (funny, this sounds familiar).  I don't think one screenshot of him has showed him with any other facial expression than that sort of "badass pouting" face.

We need more to go on, of course, but it really doesn't seem like there's much else to say.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:21:43 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2013, 01:05:48 PM »

I find it kind of weird how Squeenix sort of does realism these days.  Their form of 'realism' usually still involves bigger-than-nornal eyes (especially seen in FF13's Serah and the main heroine for this game, Stella), absolutely gravity-defying anime hair (Serah's can apply here too since her hairdo is so ripped-off anime that it barely can happen in real life; a lot of the boys here seem to prescribe to using Tetsuya's ultra-sticky-hair-putty hairstyles; the point is, anime hair doesn't translate into reality almost at all), and facial structures that aren't exactly Asian, but 'EurAsian'.  Despite looking almost absolutely real, it's still so far removed from it because of this weird anime-human hybrid that sort of comes off as uncanny.  The features are idealized to such a great extent that their lack of flaws seems almost unnatural.

Yes! That's what is. The dissonance between the design and fidelity of the characters that really turns me off of the overall look. I can't imagine the character animations during gameplay being very helpful regarding that dissonance either, unless those have come a very long way since XIII.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »

Cleaned the OP a bit. Should less messy now. Will update it every time an official trailer/gameplay video is released to keep everything in one place.*

But it seems unless an FF game is turned into a spin off or less-than-serious title, we won't see them go to a more "cartooney" style again like FF9.  Though I do wonder about it.

Bravely Default has took care of that lately, and I don't mind since I really like the visual stlyle that game has.

Yeah, Yoda nailed my beef with him.  Chances are if he looks "full of woe" he probably will act a bit pissy till he defrosts at some point later in the game (funny, this sounds familiar).  I don't think one screenshot of him has showed him with any other facial expression than that sort of "badass pouting" face.

We need more to go on, of course, but it really doesn't seem like there's much else to say.

from FF Wiki:

"Noctis has short, spiky, black hair and blue eyes. Although, according to Tetsuya Nomura, his hair and eyes can change color along with his emotions and actions in battle.

Noctis is said to be a shy person, but he initially tries to hide this by "acting cool". According to director Tetsuya Nomura, Noctis will not have the "Cloud-like" personality, but that he will be a type of character not yet been seen in the series, one which Nomura has wanted to try out for a long time. Nomura says Noctis will have a strong and distinctive personality, and will not be a "silent, gloomy little boy". In a Dengeki interview, Nomura explained Noctis is not cool, but rather an ordinary young man who acts tough because he feels it is his duty to protect his kingdom and its citizens. As a result, he sometimes acts rashly or overestimates his strength."

That's part of what has been said of Noctis after the re-announcement of XV at E3.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2013, 02:37:14 PM »

Sounds fairly archetypal to me, but I've not been following this closely enough (see: At all).

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »

Well, maybe they're playing with this extreme and will go the other way on the next game. Development teams seem to like to do that, and I don't fault them for it. Maybe next game will be very chibi, FFIX is one of the most well liked games in the series, after all. All they have to say is, "we're trying to capture that old-school feeling again" and people will flock in.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »

I hope Noctics the Dorkus dies in the intro chapter and we get a real hero

I've realized we're minorities in our mutual opinion of him.  Granted we haven't really seen him fleshed out....   I'm more interested in the supporting cast so far anyways/

Given that he looks like Sasuke you'd probably get some not-Naruto instead.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:09:51 PM by Eusis » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2013, 04:49:19 PM »

Cleaned the OP a bit. Should less messy now. Will update it every time an official trailer/gameplay video is released to keep everything in one place.*

But it seems unless an FF game is turned into a spin off or less-than-serious title, we won't see them go to a more "cartooney" style again like FF9.  Though I do wonder about it.

Bravely Default has took care of that lately, and I don't mind since I really like the visual stlyle that game has.

Yeah, Yoda nailed my beef with him.  Chances are if he looks "full of woe" he probably will act a bit pissy till he defrosts at some point later in the game (funny, this sounds familiar).  I don't think one screenshot of him has showed him with any other facial expression than that sort of "badass pouting" face.

from FF Wiki:

"Noctis has short, spiky, black hair and blue eyes. Although, according to Tetsuya Nomura, his hair and eyes can change color along with his emotions and actions in battle.

Noctis is said to be a shy person, but he initially tries to hide this by "acting cool". According to director Tetsuya Nomura, Noctis will not have the "Cloud-like" personality, but that he will be a type of character not yet been seen in the series, one which Nomura has wanted to try out for a long time. Nomura says Noctis will have a strong and distinctive personality, and will not be a "silent, gloomy little boy". In a Dengeki interview, Nomura explained Noctis is not cool, but rather an ordinary young man who acts tough because he feels it is his duty to protect his kingdom and its citizens. As a result, he sometimes acts rashly or overestimates his strength."

That's part of what has been said of Noctis after the re-announcement of XV at E3.

IF Brave Default looked like it's artwork than its (call me out on this or don't) SNES-sprite-inspired 3D, then I could see it MAYBE on the PS4.  But I can't remember the last time we got a really big dose of anime or artsy styled gaming from Squeenix that they wouldn't rather take a chance with it on handheld instead.

In general it seems a lot of non-Japanese artsy games are relegated to indie-downloads and kickstarters because it ain't hip.

And I'm going with what Mongoosey said that it sounds somewhat archetypal; talk is cheap to say "he won't be the typical type of character (or "Cloud-like").  And the whole "shy-guy" thing sounds incredibly unappealing so far character-wise unless they can really play it up.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »

As long as he's developed well, I don't care what his personality is-- not this far out.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2013, 04:14:24 PM »

I've never been one to judge a guy by his cover, so I'll wait until I see how he handles in the game before I start deciding if I like him or not. And even if I don't, I've learned how to enjoy a story even if I don't care for the main character. And even if I don't like the story, that won't stop me from enjoying the game if it has good gameplay - which is really my biggest worry here. Sure it looks impressive, but so did FFXIII's gameplay in the trailers, and that got very repetitive very quickly and wasn't very interactive. I trust that the creator of Kingdom Hearts knows how to make a fun battle system, but still, I won't know until it comes out, so I'll always be a little cautious.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »

Final Fantasy Type-0 Team working on Final Fantasy XV -- Source: Siliconera

There's more in the article but I think this is the bit most people care about regarding XV:

Hajime Tabata: "I've recently joined as the co-director, and I'm currently giving it my all, along with the Final Fantasy Type-0 team, and development is going smoothly. We're currently plunging into an important phase, where the engine developers and game developers are preparing to work together."
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2013, 10:18:51 AM »

Hajime Tabata: "I've recently joined as the co-director, and I'm currently giving it my all, along with the Final Fantasy Type-0 team, and development is going smoothly. We're currently plunging into an important phase, where the engine developers and game developers are preparing to work together."

That sure sounds like 'no way this is releasing in 2013 or 14'.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »

That sure sounds like 'no way this is releasing in 2013 or 14'.

Was 2013 even on the table?  Come on...

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2013, 01:25:41 PM »

I'll live with it coming out in 2015 or 16. I still would prefer it came out sooner than later, of course, but the longer it takes, the longer I get to put off getting a PS4.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: