Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 11:09:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331339 Posts in 13569 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.  (Read 18454 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2014, 12:43:09 AM »

The grudge that people can develop with Square games are like wounds that never heal.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:14:55 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
anonypc

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2014, 12:50:05 AM »

The grudge that people can develop with Square games are like wounds that never heals.

HAHA well said.  I hope they don't die out, they are my childhood, literally.  But man... the direction that they are going with the series right now, it's crazy.  Personally I'm finding myself currently making the switch to western rpgs > jrpgs, but it still saddens me.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »

I hope they don't die out, they are my childhood, literally.  But man... the direction that they are going with the series right now, it's crazy.

Not at all really. The evolution of the main series while troubled it has always been organic, and realistically speaking trying please everybody with a long-running franchise with generations and generations of fans is something close to impossible to achieve.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2014, 01:43:32 PM »

Saw some of the gameplay and design on AngryJoe's Top 20 for 2014 the other day.

Completely skipping this one. ~_~; Irritating people are even calling it an RPG (even though I know the term is so diluted these days that pretty much anything qualifies). If I want to play KH meets Devil May Cry I'll go play either of those games. If I want an RPG I want something turn based. IP System, Grid-Based, RTB System, heck I'll even take the good-for-not-much Command Synergy Battle System in its infancy from XIII before I'll touch this one. XP

Doesn't help the all male main cast turns me off completely. That alone guarantees the characterization's going to blow chunks given the track records of Shonen plots.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2014, 02:48:20 PM »

FFXV's inherent independence from XIII, a story through branding and development. -- NeoGAF

I already knew most of this stuff but is worth sharing since there are a lot of dense mofos out there who don't want to give XV even the benefit of the doubt because of all the noise that happened with XIII and (most notably) XIV.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2014, 03:10:38 PM »

Completely skipping this one. ~_~; Irritating people are even calling it an RPG (even though I know the term is so diluted these days that pretty much anything qualifies). If I want to play KH meets Devil May Cry I'll go play either of those games. If I want an RPG I want something turn based. IP System, Grid-Based, RTB System, heck I'll even take the good-for-not-much Command Synergy Battle System in its infancy from XIII before I'll touch this one. XP

I find it funny you say this, since in Kitase's latest comment he mentioned considering making the character customization as complex as FFXII's with multiple characters being customized to act in the way you want them to all at the same time.

I think you're jumping to conclusions here.  Very irrational conclusions.

http://gematsu.com/2014/02/final-fantasy-xv-quite-far-development
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2014, 03:30:26 PM »

Irritating people are even calling it an RPG (even though I know the term is so diluted these days that pretty much anything qualifies)..... If I want an RPG I want something turn based.

o_O

Implying that only turn-based games can be called RPG's is... kind of archaic, yeah?

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2014, 03:36:09 PM »

o_O

Implying that only turn-based games can be called RPG's is... kind of archaic, yeah?

Kinda yes kinda no.

Bit of a parallel example here.

-Say I enjoy playing Tabletop RPGs about Space Marines.
-I get invited to play a game.
-Turns out the game is at a Laser Tag arena with 'HP' built into the sensor armor and your light guns have different effects based on a pre-selected class to mimic the system.
-I'm going to be disappointed.

Why?

Yes, it's basically the same game in terms of what's happening.
Yes, it's basically got the framework of the game I wanted to play.
Yes, in it's own right, this game is fun.

But that's not what I want when I'm looking for a Tabletop game.

I want to sit down, casually chat with friends, roll dice, write things down with paper and pencil. Not running around in a glowy cage shooting 'real' weapons. That's LARPing, not Tabletoping.

So, when I look for an RPG I look generally for a turn based experience. There are some exceptions but the line becomes really really muddled at times. I.E: With an ARPG I want a heavier emphasis on meaningful, tactical combat that just happens to execute it's movements in real time; not a Beat 'Em Up/Action hybrid that calls itself a RPG just because it makes the HP and Damage numbers visible. This is just personal perception here. I know full well the industry/public in general doesn't operate by that standard.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:47:50 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
anonypc

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2014, 06:32:26 PM »

noted, sorry
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:46:55 PM by anonypc » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2014, 06:36:43 PM »

Why are you asking in the Final Fantasy XV thread? There is a Lightning Returns thread here: http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=11607.0

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: March 26, 2014, 05:49:31 PM »

OMNIS LACRIMA (FINAL FANTASY XV) from memória! / The Very Best of Yoko Shimomura -- Square Portal, YouTube

---

News from Nova Crystallis:

Yusuke Naora is working on Final Fantasy XV, Yoshinori Kitase no longer attached to the project

Final Fantasy XV to feature many piano tracks, says Shimomura
King_Tetiro
Grandpa Pixel

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2014, 02:50:24 AM »

I'm hoping that 15 will be a fantastic game. Final Fantasy has lost its touch over me and I think I'll be leaving the old franchise on my shelf if it doesn't deliver. I have played different RPGs in the last few years that are much better!

Then again, this Fantasy will be with Kingdom Hearts gameplay :)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2014, 10:46:06 PM »

^With the staff the game has, the worst that can happen is XV being as bananas as Advent Children was.

Practically all the key people that made AC what it was is in charge of XV. Only difference here is that they have more room to play with ideas now.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2014, 12:08:05 AM »

And some of the key Type-0 folks, and Type-0 is awesome.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2014, 12:58:58 AM »

And some of the key Type-0 folks, and Type-0 is awesome.

Plot-wise too?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: