Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.
« Reply #1650 on: November 10, 2018, 06:17:00 AM »
Why do I have a feeling that Square Enix in terms of managements is a total dumpster fire?  Seriously, they can't seem to stay on schedule for any of their projects.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: November 10, 2018, 07:13:13 AM »
Why do I have a feeling that Square Enix in terms of managements is a total dumpster fire?  Seriously, they can't seem to stay on schedule for any of their projects.
To some extent the problem is announcing things LONG before they are ready to be announced (e.g., if I recall correctly, the director for the FF7 Remake wasn't even aware he was directing it till after it was announced). The inability to get anything done in a reasonable time just compounds the problem. I feel like it might be that they have perfectionist directors that are obsessed with maxing out the graphics so high that it takes 3x as long to get anything done than if went with a slightly lower or more stylized graphics, but that is entirely speculation.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: November 12, 2018, 10:48:46 AM »
^ It's moronic and leads to delays, but because Squeenix is publicly traded and announcing AAA games drives up investment.  So there is incentive for them to get the word out on projects as soon as possible in order to bring in more cash.   

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: November 13, 2018, 07:08:26 PM »
To some extent the problem is announcing things LONG before they are ready to be announced (e.g., if I recall correctly, the director for the FF7 Remake wasn't even aware he was directing it till after it was announced). The inability to get anything done in a reasonable time just compounds the problem. I feel like it might be that they have perfectionist directors that are obsessed with maxing out the graphics so high that it takes 3x as long to get anything done than if went with a slightly lower or more stylized graphics, but that is entirely speculation.

Don't they still make their own engines for the AAA games? They seem to get out the unreal and unity stuff pretty quick.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: November 14, 2018, 11:04:51 AM »
I honestly enjoyed this game a great deal.

Because it's actually a really good game.

But yeah, it looked like Square was turning a corner for a while there, back in like 2015 around the time of FFVIIR announcement, but they've since just gone right back to being terrible again.  And Tabata quitting is the most damning evidence of all that the company is mismanaged.

If Square were a sports team, they'd need to fire all the coaches and start rebuilding.  Why the crap did they announce VIIR and make Nomura the director knowing he's directing HK3 and his inability to stick to a schedule?  Ridiculous.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: November 19, 2018, 08:22:37 AM »

the mmo seems to stay on schedule

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: November 19, 2018, 06:03:34 PM »

I'm not trying to revive a massive debate... I'm just wondering what appealed to you both? I just hated the whole game from start to finish. I thought the open-world was boring, combat took too long (though, to be fair, I probably wasn't very good at it), the main characters weren't engaging and others were underutilised, the dialogue was cringey, and the story was just a head-scratching mess (but, hey, Tetsuya Nomura, so I'm not surprised). The graphics were good, so there's that, I guess.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: November 19, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »
Nomura's fingerprints have been pretty thoroughly scrubbed off the end product though. They pretty much gutted XIII Versus (to the point of effectively completely changing the female lead from whatsherface to Lunafreya) to make FFXV and there's plenty of other Tabata hallmarks to support this.

Don't ask me to name them though as I haven't played this game and I never will now that the last parts have become vaporware.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: November 19, 2018, 06:54:15 PM »

I'm not trying to revive a massive debate... I'm just wondering what appealed to you both? I just hated the whole game from start to finish. I thought the open-world was boring, combat took too long (though, to be fair, I probably wasn't very good at it), the main characters weren't engaging and others were underutilised, the dialogue was cringey, and the story was just a head-scratching mess (but, hey, Tetsuya Nomura, so I'm not surprised). The graphics were good, so there's that, I guess.
i think a LOT of people overvalue this game because of MEN. some people just prefer to play male characters just like i prefer to play female ones. because of this i think they are willing to overlook the games flaws just like i do with FF13/LR

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: November 20, 2018, 11:56:40 AM »

I'll try to follow your example of concision and just say that the world and music were beautiful, I loved the character dialogue and chemistry (although it desperately needed more Iris or Luna or both), wonderful and immersive dungeon design, and an overall plot that, while a bit too head-scratchy in places I admit, delivered overall with an awesome climax and touching character moments.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: November 20, 2018, 03:13:32 PM »
Appreciate your thoughts, thanks Arvis! I actually didn't mind the story ending either, but I felt a lot was lost on me just because I'd found so much of the rest of the story disjointed.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #1661 on: November 20, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »
What about it appealed me? Something like what Alisha said, but in reverse. I LOVE having playable female characters. All female character parties are awesome! I loved FFX-2.

So I actually waited awhile to start FFXV because I didn't really have motivation to start. From the time it switched from VsXIII to XV, I had low expectations. I had heard all the jokes about bromance road trips and boys' club whatever-ever, and how Lunafreya was a non-entity. So ... perhaps the low bar I had set in my mind is a big part of what made me enjoy it.

But honestly ... I really *did* like Noctis' friends. Noctis himself ... meh. But I quickly came to appreciate each of the other guys for who they were. Keep in mind, I went into this game like ... a month ago. So I had all expanded content and DLC.

Gameplay: I loved the combat. I loved all the side quests. I loved the world itself. I loved driving and listening to classic FF tunes. I loved that crazy bonus dungeon "Pitioss" -- puzzle platforming insanity.

I cried during the events of Ch. 9. I *didn't need* to know what fueled the romance between Noctis and Luna. I've seen enough media. They give you enough to get the point. Playing that dual role of fiancee and world-healer Oracle, that was interesting. Feel free to call her one-sided, but her strength and resolve explains itself. I loved the idea that while I played my part, there was someone else playing their part across an ocean.

Ardyn is a weak villain. Prompto's "reveal" could have been handled better. But I still loved the ending.

And finally ... Cosmogony. Giving *specific* story roles to those six traditional FF Eidolons/summons was fantastic. They've never been so large, looming, and daunting before IMO. They also haven't had this much personality (to my knowledge) since FFVI.

I will say ... having gotten all available trophies ... the "Comrades" multiplayer is not fun.

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: November 20, 2018, 07:26:08 PM »
Agreed on the eidolons, Pat, they were great fights, a couple in particular. I thought Luna was such a missed opportunity. I really liked her! She didn't even need to join as a party character, I just wish they'd used her more.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: November 20, 2018, 08:46:10 PM »
I'd like to chime in and agree with Alisha too. I think the brotrip and the man on man interactions felt more genuine in this game than in pretty much any other game I've ever played. The walking around and the dude shenanigans felt like something I could relate to. I wouldn't say it was about just playing as a guy, but the experience as a bunch of guys. In a lot of(hell I dare say all) games, the party banter always feel like it's really scripted and just meant to proceed plot or develop character background, but their travel banter was so much more alive. Maybe I appreciate it more as a guy with a lot of guy friends and we sort of act like this (minus the beating up robots and monsters) but it definitely was a huge plus for me.

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: November 21, 2018, 09:24:07 AM »
Oh, I also want to say that Young Noctis and Young Luna scenes were the most precious thing ever and I wanted moooooaaaaaarrrrrrrsocuuuuuuuuuute!!!

*cough*

If only Adult Noct and Luna had that much adorableness.