Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.
« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »

Demo drops later, but Type-0 HD comes out the same day supposedly MGSV: TPP is released. With that and all the other stuff I'm genuinely more interested I'll stay away from FF for some time. Probably a long time I think.

Though, is like I've said in some thread here a while ago; The train for Type-0 and XV already came and went for me. I honestly feel nothing over this news even though I'm having fun seeing people in a bunch of sites exploding with excitement.

SQEX is blessed to have the fans they have.

Years of patience for J-titles and the occasional disappointment has taught me to delay hype till like a week before release. 

Nevertheless, I'm curious as hell for FF15 and hope it is worth the long wait (haaaah prolly' not).

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/09/17/final-fantasy-xv-demo-episode-duscae.aspx
Allegedly we'll see a demo of FF15 sometime next year! 

...And it has a fancy name: "Episode Duscae".
Yay!  Things happening!

You know, if FFXIII-1 is anything to go by, then it means that Squeenix is finally actually putting the game together instead of just endlessly cranking out art resources and assets. Hopefully they'll do a better job of sewing the final product together this time versus the slapdash job they did on XIII-1.

I'm hoping the years of radio silence is because they just been developing.  Certainly the first reveal for 15, like 7-freaking-years-ago was like "HEY, WE GOT A COOL CG CUTSCENE... AND THATS ABOUT IT.  PLEASE BE EXCITED".
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 17, 2014, 03:33:09 PM »
The delay in info since the rereveal is totally unsurprising, to me. They probably scrapped most of the game when they retitled it, if not more than once. The game has not literally been in continuous full development for ten years, and I seriously can't understand why people think that is the case. It's been started, scrapped, and canceled, is the most likely scenario. That's a GOOD thing. Why continue work on a project not living up to standards or with fifty different people having helmed it?That leads to the kind of confused focus that plagued XII and XIII. Starting fresh means they aren't beholden to bad, outdated, or incongruous ideas. This unfortunately means there isn't something to show for a while, but again-- who cares as long as the game benefits from it whenever we ultimately have to pay for it?

As for me, I haven't been "waiting" for it. I feel like that whole argument is sort of silly. Why build up impossible "will it live up to the wait" expectations, when instead you can say "hey this has taken a while," ignore it, and then when it comes out, enjoy it for the game it ends up being? I don't understand "my hype train has passed and now I don't care." If it comes out and it's a good game, why does how long it took to come out matter in any fashion? It's not like following it has cost anyone anything more than some time.

Plus, Tabata. It's going to be good.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 03:40:14 PM by Taelus »
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 17, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »
I'm gonna kinda go down another path here...so bear with me (or skip completely)...

The only thing that really worries me about FF15...or games these days is it feels like they're a bit more style than substance.  Graphics for Final Fantasy 15 already look 12/10 good, the music is in capable hands, and the battle system (given the people working on it) will likely impress me and I *love* what I see so far (though a bit rocky, admittedly).  I'm worried the need for cool and pretty cutscenes will get in the way of those, perhaps, slower but more exposition-oriented or nonchalant character scenes get lost making the game feels somewhat serious.

FF13 made it so it was kinda hard to just chat with your party members say the way Final Fantasy 7 did. FFX made it so you could have some dialogue with party members, but it wouldn't be before long before they were done and would repeat the last line they said.

Tales of Symphonia and Abyss had plots that might have ran on too long; but you get a *lot* out of characters and a ton of world description (FF13 made it so a lot of this exposition was available in the Datalog, a pre-game novella, and the occasional bits from the characters).  There was also less pressure in older games, mid 2000's and prior, to have voice work.  Trails in the Sky (and that entire series) lets characters ramble on as much as they want because it's so easy for their type of game to just let the text do the talking.  Xenoblade as well because it made less-impressive quest dialogue and 'heart-to-'hearts' an interesting part of the world they created. 

This is sort of something I feel doesn't get much talk about with respect to game stories is the "downtime" in games.  Action is definitely a big piece of any game, but so is that lighter, non-threatening downtime that really, IMO, solidifies a character and plot if that is indeed an important aspect of the game that's being sold.

I'm not trying to say that bigger, AAA, titles have less impressive worlds or plots, or have a worse time selling these things to the player (certainly there are examples outside the box, like The Last of Us which I think sold the dires of post-apocalyptic life and the relationship between its leads), but just that something has changed.  The only part of FF15 that worries me, is that the super beautiful and super cool cutscenes aren't more than skin-deep and I have more than just gameplay to look forward to and its not as big a disjointed mess of some of the more recent Final Fantasy titles (or some of the titles I've liked a little less).

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 17, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »
Short response: I agree. FF needs character moments back. They make a story worth telling.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 17, 2014, 05:13:11 PM »

As for me, I haven't been "waiting" for it. I feel like that whole argument is sort of silly. Why build up impossible "will it live up to the wait" expectations, when instead you can say "hey this has taken a while," ignore it, and then when it comes out, enjoy it for the game it ends up being? I don't understand "my hype train has passed and now I don't care." If it comes out and it's a good game, why does how long it took to come out matter in any fashion? It's not like following it has cost anyone anything more than some time.

Plus, Tabata. It's going to be good.

ALSO.  Just as an addendum (I love that word even though it doesn't really belong here)

I agree.  Games should take their time (I'm sure Bungie is thinking a bit of the same right now given the somewhat lukewarm Destiny reactions).  What I do find irritating is the radio silence about the matter.  Almost anything could have been said, daresay mention "We [SquareEnix] are trying new things to deliver the best product we can", would have been better than their usual response of "Not this year! Maybe TGS next year" or whatever else.  People like news!  But you're right, really it doesn't amount to much more than some spilt ink on the Internet and a few minutes of reading some game news.

In terms of the "hype machine" created by this thing.  Well, not to speak for Yggdrasil, but I'm sure he's got more posts in here than most of us do, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't really read into his "not hyped" post as merely being a symptom of something else (perhaps a mix of caution and patience that won't amount till much till the game's actual release).  Not just speaking for Ygg, but a lot of people seem pretty nonchalant as well, myself included.  There's other things to do, books to read, music to listen to, drawings to draw....etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.....

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 17, 2014, 05:19:01 PM »
My hype for FFXV died a long time ago.
If they want me, they'll have to reconquer me like an old lover left on the wayside.

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 17, 2014, 06:00:20 PM »
Things to draw? You mean like awesome Zidane avatars for your favorite RPGFan editors?

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 17, 2014, 06:53:08 PM »
If they want to get me hyped about FFXV again then all they need to do is make a good game.  I'm with Taelus on this.  It's been a long road...but so what?  It's not like I wake up every morning going "where's FFXV now?!".  It hasn't really affected me.

Incidentally I feel the same way about The Last Guardian.

Now of course there are people who ran out to buy PS3s when they saw the FFvXIII trailer and then were probably disappointed when the game got delayed so much it's not even on PS3 anymore.  But if there's a lesson from that it's, "don't buy systems for games that aren't out yet, or don't even have a definite release date".  I mean heck, stuff gets canceled all the time.  Let's try to be smart consumers.

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 17, 2014, 06:53:50 PM »
+1

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 17, 2014, 08:17:26 PM »
I won't have any money or care about FF by the time Type-0 HD is out. Especially with all of the titles I'm interested from October to March.

Bloodborne is the only Japanese RPG I'm anticipating. Aside from that, I would like to see what's going on with the Deus Ex: Universe project and Cyberpunk 2077.

Edited for clarity.*
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:02:12 AM by Yggdrasil »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 17, 2014, 09:33:28 PM »
New Trailer

Also, Nomura has officially stepped down as director and Tabata is taking over.

It definitely looks more like a real game in this trailer.  There's less of the crazy flying around stuff we say before...which is probably for the best.  It looked cool but realistically I never really understood how you were supposed to control it.  This looks like an action RPG.  Less revolutionary, sure, but also easier to see how it will actually play.

Parn

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 17, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »
Going to go ahead and say it: the game's visuals are thematically all over the place.  What the fuck is even going on.  You have members of NSync riding around in a cadillac who drive by a giant fucking turtle, a turtle that I guess never bothers to travel anywhere near any modern architecture that you see in the far off distance because such a giant creature would make it impossible to build anything that would last, and then the boyband occasionally hops out and fights some bad guys that are dressed in medieval-like armor?

Seriously like, what the hell.  I've played a lot of JRPGs with characters using swords in modern settings and whatever else that doesn't make sense, and I just play them anyway because it's usually a "who cares, it's fun" kind of thing, but this game takes it to 11.  There's just something about this game's presentation that is rubbing me the wrong way.  It continues to not help that all of the main characters are dudes.  I mean, I like dudes, but girls are pretty cool too, you know?

Eh, I'm done rambling.  For now anyway.  Think I'll go play some more Final Fantasy XIV in the meantime.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 17, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »
I'm... that was... I mean....

Wow.

They certainly haven't lost their touch for spectacle.

AND DAT MUSIC!

Thank you for sharing that, this game is actually back in my sights. The group still looks basically like Japanese Entourage, but after seeing that trailer I think the cast might grow on me.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 17, 2014, 09:59:02 PM »
Going to go ahead and say it: the game's visuals are thematically all over the place.  What the fuck is even going on.  You have members of NSync riding around in a cadillac who drive by a giant fucking turtle, a turtle that I guess never bothers to travel anywhere near any modern architecture that you see in the far off distance because such a giant creature would make it impossible to build anything that would last, and then the boyband occasionally hops out and fights some bad guys that are dressed in medieval-like armor?

Well, I don't actually know the story but from the character's reactions I strongly suspect that the giant turtle thing isn't something that normally appears...so I'm not buying your complaint about the architecture.

I'll grand you the random dudes in medieval armor, though.  That didn't make much sense...

And Klutz, I totally agree about the music.  Of course this is just a short trailer, but that was really good.

Parn

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 17, 2014, 10:10:27 PM »
Fair enough about the turtle, but replace them with the dinosaurs you see in the trailer.  I'm looking through NeoGAF and it's clear I'm not alone on my... confusion over the visual direction.  And maybe this is related to the sudden change in lead directors, but it feels like the game doesn't have someone in charge saying "no, you can't put that in the game because it doesn't make sense."

I just looked at some promotional artwork of the boyband standing around grilling.  This is one of the strangest games I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:14:05 PM by Parn »