Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 05:55:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329437 Posts in 13496 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.  (Read 17031 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2013, 02:41:02 AM »

@Dice: It is a conscious decision.

I'm ready for the bromance.

Will real world logic and common sense apply in this game?
I hear it didn't in 13.

Nah. The reaction that a lot of fans had with XIII back in 2009/'10 was "I'm too old for this shit" and then stuff happened on the Internet.

I am pleased by almost everything I've seen from this game. I don't love the character designs, but I also don't care. LOL

On that note I'm actually not excited about Yoko working on the soundtrack even though I do know that it will have more than one track I'll be hearing for years to come. I think that's what people call "ambivalence".

"This is a fantasy based on reality."

As far as I know, there are no giant Leviathans ruling the seas and large purple Behemoths living in cathedrals.

"Let's take the tagline of XV in the most literal way possible and make a joke about it."
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2013, 09:24:53 AM »

(hcus n aet knird).

Is that an anagram for "drink each nuts" ?
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »

Final Fantasy Versus XIII's story remains intact in Final Fantasy XV

Nomura: More female Final Fantasy XV characters to be revealed in the future

Source: Nova Crystallis
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »

I'd like to think the all-male cast was a conscious decision based on what would be the best way to tell the story (what's the FF series without a few of its stronger leading female?).  Here's a weird example of what I mean: but think HBO's Entourage if it had a female amongst the recurring and main cast ---  it just wouldn't work.  I'm hoping as compensation too, we get a great supporting cast of ladies then.

Also, y'all can complain all ya like, but Cor Leonis is a perfect looking man I'd want to do things with (hcus n aet knird).

I really like Cor Leonis's design, as well as Gladiolus's. At first I didn't care for the character designs, but the more I thought about, the more I grew to appreciate them. What I like most about the designs is that these dudes look like they can handle themselves, which is more than I can see for a lot of other JRPG character designs.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2013, 12:25:09 AM »

"Nomura says that in the current generation of gaming, many say that Japanese game development has fallen behind the West. He would like to use Final Fantasy XV as proof that this will not happen again in the next generation of consoles." -- Source: Final Fantasy FXN Network

FINAL FANTASY XV: Big Interview Summary (bonus Kingdom Hearts III info by Dengeki PlayStation) -- Source: Gematsu
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:29:15 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2013, 12:47:51 AM »

I'd like to think the all-male cast was a conscious decision based on what would be the best way to tell the story (what's the FF series without a few of its stronger leading female?).  Here's a weird example of what I mean: but think HBO's Entourage if it had a female amongst the recurring and main cast ---  it just wouldn't work.  I'm hoping as compensation too, we get a great supporting cast of ladies then.

Also, y'all can complain all ya like, but Cor Leonis is a perfect looking man I'd want to do things with (hcus n aet knird).

I really like Cor Leonis's design, as well as Gladiolus's. At first I didn't care for the character designs, but the more I thought about, the more I grew to appreciate them. What I like most about the designs is that these dudes look like they can handle themselves, which is more than I can see for a lot of other JRPG character designs.

100%!! ^

Tidus was a damn wimp, Vaan is one big vagina compared to the ladies in that game, and Snow was all talk (which makes me sad, because design-wise, I wanted to do naughty things to snow who reminded me of...i dunno, my days pining for a badass rockstar boyfriend).

And this whole issue with only guys, people forget that the past 13 titles have always had their share of important females to the cast.  Obviously, for whatever reason, they need a bromance to tell the story and I'm sure they'll balance it out with strong females in there too.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »

Tidus was a damn wimp

Is justifiable why Tidus is the way it is in X. He grows later in the story and despite all the shit he goes through he does what he can in a world that he doesn't know very well at the time.

Vaan is one big vagina

Never had the chance to get in XII so I can't say much.

Snow was all talk

Even Hope said that at one point.

Snow always tried his best to protect the ones he cared the most even though he's hot-headed and put himself at risk to save others at least Snow has the quality that he put has he says in practice.

Too bad that Etro (unintentionally) and Caius fucked up everything for everyone... but the story in XIII is like that, you never fully accomplish what you set out to do by your hand only. LR might change that though, but we'll see.

And this whole issue with only guys, people forget that the past 13 titles have always had their share of important females to the cast.  Obviously, for whatever reason, they need a bromance to tell the story and I'm sure they'll balance it out with strong females in there too.

I honestly see no "issue" here, at best I've just seen some people crying over how they not gonna get any kind of fanservice for them.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »

Have there been any openly gay characters in FF before? I wasn't really sure about those two australian chicks in FF13.

MMO cybering doesn't count.

Also, we should start a betting pool on FFXV's plot points. Anyone interested?

I'll throw in:
>Focus shifts from small adventure to saving the world
>True antagonist doesn't show up until third act
>Final boss ends up being some sort of god-like being
>Some plot point about amnesia/messed up memory
>Comic relief character does something to help save the day
>Main party gets their hands on the last crystal at some point, but it gets stolen from them somehow.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2013, 02:16:39 PM »

Do the rapist body builders from FF7 count?

EDIT: Thinking about it, there are very few openly gay characters in JRPGs that aren't portrayed as pervert pedophile rapists.

There was Jun in Persona 2. And....that's all I got.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 02:22:28 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »

Tidus was a damn wimp

Is justifiable why Tidus is the way it is in X. He grows later in the story and despite all the shit he goes through he does what he can in a world that he doesn't know very well at the time.

Vaan is one big vagina

Never had the chance to get in XII so I can't say much.

Snow was all talk

Even Hope said that at one point.

Snow always tried his best to protect the ones he cared the most even though he's hot-headed and put himself at risk to save others at least Snow has the quality that he put has he says in practice.

Too bad that Etro (unintentionally) and Caius fucked up everything for everyone... but the story in XIII is like that, you never fully accomplish what you set out to do by your hand only. LR might change that though, but we'll see.

And this whole issue with only guys, people forget that the past 13 titles have always had their share of important females to the cast.  Obviously, for whatever reason, they need a bromance to tell the story and I'm sure they'll balance it out with strong females in there too.

I honestly see no "issue" here, at best I've just seen some people crying over how they not gonna get any kind of fanservice for them.

Tidus's problem has more to do with the fact that he keeps trying to tell his story over Yuna's, which to be fair, is justifiable given that he's the one telling the story, except that the story eventually does become more about him than Yuna with what's going on with the Fayth and Jecht. FFX-2 doesn't help anybody involved though (except for maybe Wakka and Lulu but that's it), but especially Tidus who's kinda more represented by not-Tidus who's a walking leaking vagina (seriously, his entire plan to death metal prop the world into oblivion is motivated solely by the fact that he got cockblocked a thousand years ago and now he's a vengeful ghost (but given the amount of still living ghosts in the first game, even the vengeful ghost angle falls flat on its face)).

Vaan's problem was that he was just as much spray painted into the party as his abs were on him, and Penelo just made everything worse since she had no character beyond being Vaan's childhood friend and kidnap bait (that one time she actually matters to the plot). His only real contributions is mostly being there, wanting to become a sky pirate, and having his own force ghost relative con him into turning to the dark side of the neithicite in parallel with Ashe's force ghost.

Snow's big problem is that FFXIII-1 wanted to invoke FFVI's early game with its own early game but left Snow in cutscene land for the first quarter of the game rather then having him go off on his own like the guy who inspired him did. Moreover, the only time we really see Snow fail at being the hero is at the very start when his operation Nora falls apart, but given the situation and the fact that everything that happens to the party afterwords is due to the powers that be rather than anything done by either the players or the characters you never really see him or anybody else do anything grievously stupid. And by the end Snow's character development is probably the most implied versus seen of them all as he's still a boisterous hero who can't get anything done except getting way in over his head and somehow managing to luck out of it afterwords (except now the implication is that he somehow succeeded as a hero rather than fail at being one). Then FFXIII-2 happens and he's now the guy who shows up to say "See player, you do get to play as one of the OG crew from the first game." for all of exactly one stage and only during its relevance to the plot. Beyond that (and his upgrade to Sabertooth) he only gets an ending to show up on his bitchin' cool time traveling hover motorcycle made of twin lesbian transformers and asks Serah-chan to ditch this loser (Noel Christ) and go on a super dimensional time traveling adventure with him instead, and she makes the only choice possible (bye bye Noel Christ, have fun fighting a Gary Stu, breaking the universe, and killing me without me). And now for FFXIII-3, Snow's turned evil apparently.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2013, 03:11:19 PM »

Kanji?
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »

@Starmongoose: There is a gay dude on Enchanted Arms, right?
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2013, 03:26:09 PM »

I'll throw in:
>Main party gets their hands on the last crystal at some point, but it gets stolen from them somehow.

There will be a betrayal
Noctis father will kick the bucket
Both nations will be almost destroyed by the true threat
There will be some type of peace talk between the two countries
Noctis mother will be of unknown origin and important to the plot.
Main party gets captured by the enemy

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »

Kanji?

He isn't gay though, and certainly not open if he is. (Which he isn't).

@Starmongoose: There is a gay dude on Enchanted Arms, right?

Oh yeah...the giant walking stereotype. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2013, 04:24:50 PM »

I'll throw in:

There will be a betrayal
Noctis father will kick the bucket
Both nations will be almost destroyed by the true threat
There will be some type of peace talk between the two countries
Noctis mother will be of unknown origin and important to the plot.
Main party gets captured by the enemy

These are all fucking excellent.

Also:
One of the party members dies.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: