Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 11:44:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334638 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.  (Read 22824 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2013, 07:29:16 AM »

Micromanaging aside, I loved KH3D, though it seems to be more a matter of debate among fans.  I thought it made the *best* out of the Disney worlds this time around.  The Disney version of Notre Dame is beautifully created to include every part of the movie and then some (and a goddamn duplicate of the cathedral itself!!).

Yes, but those beautiful worlds were completely empty of life. That actually dispapointed me more than anything else in that game. "Wow, look at Notre Dame! ...Wait, where are the people?"

Granted,but it's not like the other KH games were really much better.  They'd have maybe a population of ...5, with stock/bland dialogue.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2013, 08:35:39 AM »

Micromanaging aside, I loved KH3D, though it seems to be more a matter of debate among fans.  I thought it made the *best* out of the Disney worlds this time around.  The Disney version of Notre Dame is beautifully created to include every part of the movie and then some (and a goddamn duplicate of the cathedral itself!!).

Yes, but those beautiful worlds were completely empty of life. That actually dispapointed me more than anything else in that game. "Wow, look at Notre Dame! ...Wait, where are the people?"

Granted,but it's not like the other KH games were really much better.  They'd have maybe a population of ...5, with stock/bland dialogue.

Totally agree. I think I had expected that in 2012 (or was it KH 3DS in 2013? I forget), they'd have been able to include a bit more.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2013, 12:50:15 PM »

Totally agree. I think I had expected that in 2012 (or was it KH 3DS in 2013? I forget), they'd have been able to include a bit more.

Eugh, I agree.  I hope they treat KH3 on PS4 LIKE a PS4 title.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2013, 04:15:30 PM »

I wrote this in my review, but I think KH3DS' worlds were the worst in the series. Visually, they looked great, but they were basically big empty boxes for you to use flowmotion. I sincerely hope that system does not return again. It was just TOO much. Bring back command fusion from BbS!

I think, more than anything else, what KH3 needs is some elaborate and more interesting worlds-- and MORE EMPHASIS ON DONALD AND GOOFY AGAIN

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2013, 05:02:39 PM »

I wrote this in my review, but I think KH3DS' worlds were the worst in the series. Visually, they looked great, but they were basically big empty boxes for you to use flowmotion. I sincerely hope that system does not return again. It was just TOO much. Bring back command fusion from BbS!

I think, more than anything else, what KH3 needs is some elaborate and more interesting worlds-- and MORE EMPHASIS ON DONALD AND GOOFY AGAIN

Hear hear!

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2013, 05:22:27 PM »

Hear hear!

Thirded on all points.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »

I won't argue the Goofy and Donald bit.  It'd be really nice to have them back for the 3rd title (maybe even Mickey thrown into the mix the way he sort-of was in the second game).  But given the "fangasms" Riku inspires, I'm not surprised they took a title to flesh him out.  But if KH3D's worlds are considered "bad" then I can't say I like many of them.  First off, and for the most part, I thought flowmotion made it nice and easy to move around places, especially with a game that can get as clunky as the KH series can get (that race with Riku at the start of KH1 and navigating Tarzan's world proving why...every jump feels like you're take a hop within the moon's gravitational field). 

I think of KH1's Neverland up against something like Sora's version of Prankster's Paradise.  Neverland was a pirate ship and a small section to fly around Big Ben (both having barely much to do with the real chunk of Peter Pan's story).  Prankster's Paradise was a theme park, a circus tent, a grotto, and the ocean itself.  The Country of the Mouseketeers was a town, a training ground, a valley, and even a full opera house!    BBS made the worlds big (often incorporating enough "room" for *3* separate stories to take place), but were sort of drab to look at (and since they were big, you felt that 'loneliness' even more where a world is inhabited with 5 NPC's at most and endless sums of enemies within a bland design).

But honestly, even as a whole, and even with the levels I DO like, I feel the levels rarely do justice to the source material, nor do they really do well as standouts to how other games have designed levels.  At least, it feels like more love and especially atmosphere  (which to me is important given the "important" or at least nostalgic content they're working with*) goes into the 'unique' KH levels that aren't Disney-inspired.  But the levels are just sort of....boring; and they really pale in comparison to the worlds Disney creates in their feature films.  But since the emphasis is on recreating these places (and they effectively do) and fun battle mechanics, then I guess that's half the battle.

I do remember liking KH2's worlds (most of them anyways), but it's been way too long since I've played to make a real comment.  I picked it up again not too long ago till the KH3DS ending not-too-subtly implied the HD remakes.  ...womp-womp.

* Saying this as someone who's grown up with the "Disney Renaissance" which probably hurts my perspective if it's anything less than perfect.... but by god, why shouldn't it matter when it's about half the appeal of the series?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:29:42 PM by Dice » Logged

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2013, 08:28:53 PM »

I think some of KH2's worlds were the best in the series, because they took the concept from KH1 and just tried to make them more interesting-- back when the series was still about "hey, crazy Disney worlds!" rather than "ORGANIZATION NOBODYDREAMEATERXBURADO" insanity. Not all of them were great, but I think in more recent entries (ESPECIALLY 3DS) it's clear that they're focusing less on exploration or meaningful interactions with the Disney worlds and more on "how insane can we make this combat?" which I think removes much of the impact and enjoyment of discovering new worlds and seeing new characters.

When things have become so over-the-top, there's no grounding anywhere to make anything meaningful. In KH2, it felt meaningful when you unlocked double jumps, superglides, and all the air dashes because the system didn't go from 0 to 60 like DDD.

That said, I think there are good bits and pieces in many of the games (heck, even some of the weird minigames in re:coded were entertaining) that, if they can manage to combine them all meaningfully, will make for the best game in the series.

Get the grounding and emotional weight behind some of the earlier games (and BbS), the satsifying ability progression from BbS, the crazy changeups from re:coded (shooters, turn-based stuff!), the world visual design from DDD, and some of the level design from KH2, and I think we'll be good to go.

And as I said before, make Donald and Goofy a meaningful part of the story again. I like their friendship with Sora far more than Riku's.

EDIT:

Also Star Wars and Avengers worlds plz

EDIT 2

ALso, again, I'd really like to see more immersive DIsney worlds. I don't even care if there are FEWER Disney worlds if the four or five that there are are more meaningful. The nature of the 'explore the worlds in whatever order' thing they've had going on, along with the "okay here's a DIsney interlude with OXIII members plotting somewhere else for the real scene at Hollow Bastion after you finish three of these" needs to end. Cohesive narrative!

Okay so yeah I just have a million suggestions for how to improve thins.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:33:34 PM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2013, 10:30:26 PM »

The QTE's of KH2 basically turned into somewhat more varied flowmotion mechanics.  I agree it's flashy (pales to what, unfortunately, Goof and Donald are capable of), but it feels like a somewhat "logical step" towards what keyblade masters* are capable of (essentially the stuff of cinematic trailers).   Daresay, I wonder if we can see a "link up" system for combat like we say in Tales of Xillia?

I'd like to see maybe a Bayonetta-style of "combo combat" (mashing "X" in the first game is killing me; this stuff hasn't aged well at all), but we'll see what the third title has in store.

I'd go on, but I think it's fair to say we see different things from the games and what we want and like from them. But I think we're on a similar level with respect to the worlds and how they're made.

* I hate keyblades.  I feel it's more of a smack of the head and killing enemies through blunt force trauma than actual "cutting" and "slicing" them.  I do like the designs of the other blades though,and making Sora look like an anime-genki-Mickey is a damn crafty design choice IMO.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:36:03 PM by Dice » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »

Take a look at these ultra high-resolution Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III artworks -- Source: Nova Crystallis

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2013, 01:00:21 AM »

Unconsciously, I started hummming the Men in Black theme song when I saw the FF15 cast.  I love how freckles and moles are totally an "it" thing to show detail.  It works.

I'm actually getting tingles in my butt thinking about the rest of the KH cast is PS4 3D.  Gorgeous stuff; I always thought the KH2 Intro/Ending CG looked next to perfect; and this is essentially a game version of that (if that is indeed an in-game model).

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2013, 01:17:32 AM »

I hope Noctics the Dorkus dies in the intro chapter and we get a real hero
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2013, 01:42:18 AM »

I've realized we're minorities in our mutual opinion of him.  Granted we haven't really seen him fleshed out....   I'm more interested in the supporting cast so far anyways/

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2013, 04:39:01 AM »

I've realized we're minorities in our mutual opinion of him.  Granted we haven't really seen him fleshed out....

I don't think for a second that Yoda cares about seeing Noctis (or anyone from XV) being fleshed out...

I've realized we're minorities in our mutual opinion of him.

What opinion? That he's not badass enough for the American audience?
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2013, 07:36:54 AM »

I've realized we're minorities in our mutual opinion of him.  Granted we haven't really seen him fleshed out....

I don't think for a second that Yoda cares about seeing Noctis (or anyone from XV) being fleshed out...

I've realized we're minorities in our mutual opinion of him.

What opinion? That he's not badass enough for the American audience?

False, I want a good game as much as the next person. But I have little faith that they'll develop him past the sniveling woe is me type into something interesting.

Sorry to interrupt, continue posting links ad nauseum
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: