Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
Re: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.
« Reply #315 on: September 18, 2014, 01:16:54 PM »
New Trailer

Also, Nomura has officially stepped down as director and Tabata is taking over.

It definitely looks more like a real game in this trailer.  There's less of the crazy flying around stuff we say before...which is probably for the best.  It looked cool but realistically I never really understood how you were supposed to control it.  This looks like an action RPG.  Less revolutionary, sure, but also easier to see how it will actually play.

I find it funny that the combat in this looks like Dragon Age 2, a game people queefed out about endlessly, but yet for FF to depart from strategic combat it's hailed as streamlining and fun. In Dragon Age people decree that it's dumbing down and appealing to a COD mindset.

Not saying you said this, specifically, just quoting for the trailer.

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 18, 2014, 01:21:15 PM »
New Trailer

Also, Nomura has officially stepped down as director and Tabata is taking over.

It definitely looks more like a real game in this trailer.  There's less of the crazy flying around stuff we say before...which is probably for the best.  It looked cool but realistically I never really understood how you were supposed to control it.  This looks like an action RPG.  Less revolutionary, sure, but also easier to see how it will actually play.

I find it funny that the combat in this looks like Dragon Age 2, a game people queefed out about endlessly, but yet for FF to depart from strategic combat it's hailed as streamlining and fun. In Dragon Age people decree that it's dumbing down and appealing to a COD mindset.

Compared to Dragon Age Origins, I did feel like Dragon Age 2 was dumbed down a little... BUT it was still fun to me. We'll see what they do with FFXV, but I'm digging the more action oriented approach personally.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 18, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »
They want to make a brotherhood story, it's not about not having female characters because fuck you. It seems to fit their storyline concept. Why would they just shoehorn in a female character to tick a box.

It's not like FF is a series known to have representation issues either. Just look at the XIII series and X-2.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:58:40 PM by Holykael1 »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #318 on: September 18, 2014, 02:12:53 PM »
I think the FF.series is like one of the last titles you could accuse of being sexist or poorly integrating females into their games. Most of them have had unique ladies (and even the"tough girl" types) for the longest time. I look forward to their direction with this, the more I see and think about it, the more I like it.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 18, 2014, 02:38:15 PM »

You are the first person I've heard compare it to Dragon Age 2.  I'm not seeing it.  I mean, other than in the really vague third-person-game-with-fantasy-elements sense, but there are a million games that fit in that category.  They clearly show some dodge rolling stuff which says direct-control action RPG to me.  Which Dragon Age 2 was not.

Besides, I like Dragon Age 2...but let's not go there...

(Also the combat in FF games was never really strategic in the first place)

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 18, 2014, 03:21:31 PM »
my ability to enjoy an rpg story hinges greatly on my ability to relate to one or more of the characters. wich is FAR less likely to occur in a male dominated cast. i get what they are trying to do but that doesnt mean i have to like it. im free to voice my opinion so fuck off.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 18, 2014, 03:48:54 PM »
I like it for one simple reason. It looks like it focuses on the characters, not on OMG FALCLIE MELODRAMA RAGNAORPHANCRADLEPRAETORIUS MANAVIN GOD REBIRTH WORLD LIGHTINGIUNGU.

Seriously, though. Think about how much humanity has been missing from FF casts in the XIII titles. The concept render for this game has them GRILLING, ffs. That's something people do. If nothing else, realize that this game has a tone and a thematic and is now actually FOCUSED on something. I couldn't be happier with that trailer. Also, look at early-game KH2 combat compared to late-game. It's like night and day, and I'd be shocked if this weren't similar.

Oh man, I've been getting the same impression, man. I love the character focus. I'm hoping the combat does get crazier like it did in KH2 as well, though I kinda actually like the...deliberate movements. Even if it makes it feel clunky, I'd appreciate the idea that my weapons have weight so I'd need to make the most of my movements. Kinda like how Monster Hunter works. It just makes the game feel visceral.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #322 on: September 18, 2014, 04:03:53 PM »
my ability to enjoy an rpg story hinges greatly on my ability to relate to one or more of the characters. wich is FAR less likely to occur in a male dominated cast. i get what they are trying to do but that doesnt mean i have to like it. im free to voice my opinion so fuck off.

Yeah, we know, and I do it too --- take it easy, no reason to be upset.  Hell I voice my opinion a lot too!

But even as a female gamer I have no problem with this.  I agree a game is wonderful when you can relate to a character; but I don't think it always have to be on basis of sex (I actually really related to Luke from Tales of the Abyss if I had to pick).  But if there's one thing the FF series has had its strong female characters, whether supporting or playable.  And the series has been several times not shy about putting their ladies in the lead.  Heck, FF13 was about its leading ladies.

It sucks this time around that it doesn't seem like a lady is *immediately* in the party; but I doubt the main party will also be limited to these four bros.  IIRC wasn't the series supposed to be a few installments long too (like 13 was)?  Stella has more than enough potential to join the party.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:07:33 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #323 on: September 18, 2014, 04:51:42 PM »
Meh... I really didn't feel anything from watching the trailer. So little is shown, just a few dude bros driving around in a hoopty killing reptiles.

"All my friends drive a low rider"

The music was very boring, but it seemed like just one track, so we'll see. Way too classical for my taste... no bite. Half of it sounds like Johan Strauss (blech!). I'm finally playing Bravely Default (my gf had it for months) so I'm a bit spoiled though. The only thing I could never complain about in FFXIII was the music, and although I don't want more of the same, I loved how they constantly shifted and changed things up from installment to installment, and really went out there experimenting with new things. I don't care what style this is, but if they go at it with the same sense of adventure, I'll be happy. Unfortunately, this trailer does nothing to inspire that, so I'm dubious.

I was hoping my first real glimpse would be one of awe and amazement. This is about as far from it as I think I could feel without being truly disappointed.

ZshadeZ

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 18, 2014, 05:03:03 PM »
The biggest anticipation I have for this title is the possibility of a relatively quick PC release. With FF IV and soon FF XIII on Steam it looks like the PC focus is intensifying. I've never even been a fan of 13, but I preordered it to support moar FF on PC.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 18, 2014, 05:33:28 PM »
Main theme for the fanbase of FFXV.

IIRC wasn't the series supposed to be a few installments long too (like 13 was)?

Yes, there is an interest to do that in the future.

Stella has more than enough potential to join the party.

Is still too soon to say that. Stella can end up like Aerith, or death in battle, or who knows what exactly will happen with her having a connection to Etro (which if you don't remember is the Goddess of Death in the FNC mythos).

She and Noctis share a connection with Etro, and part of the theme of 'Tragedy' I mentioned before has appeared to be related to both of them.

You can read more about her here to refresh your memory if you like.

---

Updated the OP with the change of directors.*
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:31:19 AM by Yggdrasil »

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 19, 2014, 06:35:48 AM »

Holy shit Ma'am, nobody is oppressing you. We were simply providing our own opinions, nobody was attacking/denying the right to your personal stance. Stay classy.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 19, 2014, 10:38:59 AM »
But even as a female gamer I have no problem with this.  I agree a game is wonderful when you can relate to a character; but I don't think it always have to be on basis of sex (I actually really related to Luke from Tales of the Abyss if I had to pick).

Me too. I'm all for diversity, but me being able to relate to a character or not has very little to do with their gender or even age. It's more their personality, personal situation, that kind of stuff.

Anyway, that trailer? It's from the first few hours at most, right? Wanna bet half of the dude bro boyband will only be there for the first stretch? They look too similar. Final Fantasy (and JRPGs in general) are all about having a good mix of characters. There will be a young or woman or two, the token kid, the token old man and maybe something furry, because JRPG.

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 19, 2014, 11:24:44 AM »
There will be a young or woman or two, the token kid, the token old man and maybe something furry, because JRPG.

Don't forget token Cid! ;)

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 19, 2014, 11:31:11 AM »
Or perhaps Cid will be the kid! I mena, they seem to be getting younger with nearly every installment...