Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.
« Reply #1005 on: April 12, 2016, 09:17:35 PM »
What was even worse was in FFIX where the Boat was faster than the Hildegarde which was faster than the Invincible. Who thought that was a good idea?

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 12, 2016, 11:24:51 PM »
What was even worse was in FFIX where the Boat was faster than the Hildegarde which was faster than the Invincible. Who thought that was a good idea?

To be fair, the Invincible wasn't the fastest airship in FFIII either.

What I still don't get is why the Highwind suddenly had jet engines suddenly strapped to it like it mattered at all (or the pilot's level for that matter)?
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 14, 2016, 03:32:28 AM »
Okay so I had a chance to review some of the materials spawning around about and I have to say.

Bleh.

Honestly it's not like FF hasn't been heading in this direction for some time, but I think FFXV looks to be the most heavily cranked sideways FF yet.  It essentially just looks like a stripped down version of FF8's squirmy anti-heroic adventures through the lands of midgard, or wherever we are at this point, or perhaps one of the FF7 spin-off movies.

It seems no collector's edition, no extra media, and not even the game, no nothing for me I'm afraid. If I wanted something like FFXV (which I don't) anyway I'd probably just replay FF8, although to be honest I'd rather just skip out all these kinds of FFs going forward entirely.

In fact, I can't honestly say there is anything Square has made in recent times that really has my attention, it's not a recent trend, probably going all the way back to the merger with Enix (which made too many games that really struck a chord to count)

I was thinking about the nostalgia surrounding one of the more recent spin-off things... but that was a nostalgic sense as related to 9, which was already a nostalgic sense as pertained to 1.

There are far more efficiently entertaining and enjoyable things out there that don't require the purchase of a new system (for many, still lots of people that don't even have a PS4) or the kind of circus atmosphere surrounding this thing at this point to really seriously consider spending time on FFXV.

That said, I have no doubt many people will play the game, perhaps even enjoy it, It seems as though I am going to be passing though..

While I'm aware that the delicate petals of this stupid green forum hate my guts for the dumbest reasons. Let's get real for a moment.

In an overall sense the series' problem is not so much the series itself, or what it does or doesn't do, but the kind of climax the fanbase experienced with FFVI and FFVII and how that same excitement (and impact) those two games generated in a variety of ways melted and permeated into misguided feelings and alienation towards the series over the years since then (meaning 1994~'97). And there is no way, and I repeat no way, that Square Enix in all of their power can do to surpass the climax that people had at that time with Final Fantasy because all of that give itself in the right moments, and nowadays creating that kind of context for any game is exceedingly difficult with the over saturation everything has around it.

Final Fantasy XV hasn't been a constant project of a decade in the making. But all the phases the project has gone in its development cycle(s), taking different forms while retaining its original structure going forward until this point, doesn't really deserve to get the continuous tired negativity from supposed fans of the series and genre have had over the game with the amount of effort modern entries in the main series go through. That's not to say there's no space for criticism for XV, but I believe we all know is hard for many to get their collectives tongues out of Squaresoft's balls and put their prejudices in a realistic place instead of acting constantly annoyed or frustrated because core fans don't have the same exact experience with the games they had 10 or 15+ years ago. There's no real potential future for Final Fantasy if fans don't realize the importance of moving forward the values of FF and not choke it with its past glory. And that might sound like I'm exaggerating. But is true.

Lastly; Final Fantasy XV Director Says It's 'Make Or Break' For Franchise.

---

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 05:06:35 AM by Yggdrasil »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #1008 on: April 14, 2016, 08:56:03 AM »
^ I dunno man.  The press seems fine, the hype is totally around.  The player opinions from the demos seem to have hurt the game more than anything currently (that and a 10 year development cycle, but I think the announcement of a famous vocalist, an 1/1 SE Audi, CE's, SE's, DLC, a mini-series, a CG movie and kickass trailers have helped "numb" that pain).  Artimicia's opinions are their own, and sure other people might feel it, but I haven't seen a single FFXV "news piece" that has gone unnoticed and me and many others here and elsewhere have it preordered.  Most certainly there was a lot of hype from the get go and a lot more now since there's a lot of media.  Other than that, fans will be fans; you just gotta tune the noise out if they're going to be ultra-critical.  This seems to be an issue in like MOST big game/movie/TV franchises and hardly unique to FF. 

...but if Square Enix wants, I'm sure they can rile up the community once more with a faux butt-shot/underwear controversy; it seems to get a lot of traction these days. x)
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 14, 2016, 10:29:23 AM »
FFXV is going to be awesome and I'm getting a PS4 before it comes out (if I can convince the wife).
But the more time a player spends thinking about how it's GOING to be, the less likely he or she is to enjoy what it actually is.  I'm not going to making any premature judgments; I kinda did with XIII but ended up enjoying it anyways.  So I'm on board for this one, no matter what.  And I'll see how I feel when my own hands are on it.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 14, 2016, 03:47:10 PM »
Okay so I had a chance to review some of the materials spawning around about and I have to say.

Bleh.

Honestly it's not like FF hasn't been heading in this direction for some time, but I think FFXV looks to be the most heavily cranked sideways FF yet.  It essentially just looks like a stripped down version of FF8's squirmy anti-heroic adventures through the lands of midgard, or wherever we are at this point, or perhaps one of the FF7 spin-off movies.

It seems no collector's edition, no extra media, and not even the game, no nothing for me I'm afraid. If I wanted something like FFXV (which I don't) anyway I'd probably just replay FF8, although to be honest I'd rather just skip out all these kinds of FFs going forward entirely.

In fact, I can't honestly say there is anything Square has made in recent times that really has my attention, it's not a recent trend, probably going all the way back to the merger with Enix (which made too many games that really struck a chord to count)

I was thinking about the nostalgia surrounding one of the more recent spin-off things... but that was a nostalgic sense as related to 9, which was already a nostalgic sense as pertained to 1.

There are far more efficiently entertaining and enjoyable things out there that don't require the purchase of a new system (for many, still lots of people that don't even have a PS4) or the kind of circus atmosphere surrounding this thing at this point to really seriously consider spending time on FFXV.

That said, I have no doubt many people will play the game, perhaps even enjoy it, It seems as though I am going to be passing though..

While I'm aware that the delicate petals of this stupid green forum hate my guts for the dumbest reasons. Let's get real for a moment.

In an overall sense the series' problem is not so much the series itself, or what it does or doesn't do, but the kind of climax the fanbase experienced with FFVI and FFVII and how that same excitement (and impact) those two games generated in a variety of ways melted and permeated into misguided feelings and alienation towards the series over the years since then (meaning 1994~'97). And there is no way, and I repeat no way, that Square Enix in all of their power can do to surpass the climax that people had at that time with Final Fantasy because all of that give itself in the right moments, and nowadays creating that kind of context for any game is exceedingly difficult with the over saturation everything has around it.

Final Fantasy XV hasn't been a constant project of a decade in the making. But all the phases the project has gone in its development cycle(s), taking different forms while retaining its original structure going forward until this point, doesn't really deserve to get the continuous tired negativity from supposed fans of the series and genre have had over the game with the amount of effort modern entries in the main series go through. That's not to say there's no space for criticism for XV, but I believe we all know is hard for many to get their collectives tongues out of Squaresoft's balls and put their prejudices in a realistic place instead of acting constantly annoyed or frustrated because core fans don't have the same exact experience with the games they had 10 or 15+ years ago. There's no real potential future for Final Fantasy if fans don't realize the importance of moving forward the values of FF and not choke it with its past glory. And that might sound like I'm exaggerating. But is true.

Lastly; Final Fantasy XV Director Says It's 'Make Or Break' For Franchise.

---

Except I didn't come to FF as a climaxing fan of the FF6/7, I came to it with 4 and was mostly charmed by the kind of smaller scale stuff. In retrospect, much of that was descended from fearlier FFs like FF3, and which later found it's way into FFS more like 11 and 14, not the more popular mainline entries (although I'm not sure exactly how I feel about IX/X and 1/2, I know they had sticking points to them.)

As stated before I don't even own FF7, I played it when my cousin had it and it was fine and fun and all but it was never really the heart of FF to me, either 3 or 10 would be more sufficient.

When he says "Make or break" he means for the SQENIX aesthetics that predominated through the likes of KH, FF spinoffs, recent FFs like 13, 15, and all the countless other variations like X-2, Type 0,  KH Coded, Crisis Core, etc etc. Versus XIII started off closer to the quieter elements of VIII or a X maybe but quickly became that over the top VII thing.

That aesthetic that I was never really super interested in the first place is not the one I'm going to start caring about so much when it's at the tail end of it's experience. Again, I think it was fine and fun and all that, it just didn't really say like "Final Fantasy" to me as much.

I'm not saying it's not going to sell a lot or have lots of attention, I'm just saying personally I enjoy the Tales of series basically better in every way at this point, and it's no problem to leave behind the FF that I was never attached to in the first place, especially considering I think most of those original people with the FF series have long since gone anyway (Sakaguchi, Tanaka, etc)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:00:30 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

(Tunnels)

• Professional Thinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 19, 2016, 07:11:35 PM »
World of Wonder Environment Footage

The environments are pretty, but to be honest the music for the trailer is so good I barely paid attention to what was going on on-screen.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #1013 on: May 19, 2016, 07:19:20 PM »

Final Fantasy XV Concept Art Reveals Deeper Design Decisions

god I'd wear the fuck out of a dress like that.  Very purdy.

World of Wonder Environment Footage

The environments are pretty, but to be honest the music for the trailer is so good I barely paid attention to what was going on on-screen.

Fucking hell.  Naw, I looked at the environments.  At the very least FFXIV will be something beautiful to explore (and yeah, to listen to).

I'm just super saiyen, if VR comes along, I'll be screwed exploring cool fantasy planets. ;(
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 20, 2016, 09:19:57 AM »
Fucking hell.  Naw, I looked at the environments.  At the very least FFXIV will be something beautiful to explore (and yeah, to listen to).

FFXIV is something beautiful to explore (and listen to). ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:21:31 AM by Lian_Kazairl »

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: May 20, 2016, 10:15:01 PM »
Fucking hell.  Naw, I looked at the environments.  At the very least FFXIV will be something beautiful to explore (and yeah, to listen to).

it's ok i was thinking the same thing too. to many people avoid the best FF game probally in a decade just because it's mmo.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 22, 2016, 06:48:39 PM »
it's ok i was thinking the same thing too. to many people avoid the best FF game probally in a decade just because it's mmo.

Is easy to forget, or ignore, that they had to reboot XIV to leave it in a nicer place with ARR.

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 22, 2016, 08:21:36 PM »
Or not care since it's great now.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 23, 2016, 12:47:02 AM »
Or not care since it's great now.

I put it in the place of being 'a nice game'. Is certainly not for me, but it does what is suppose to do while also going after the heart of your typical disillusioned FF fan in the process and it has succeeded in winning some of them over. That alone is an achievement.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 23, 2016, 11:12:06 AM »

it's ok i was thinking the same thing too. to many people avoid the best FF game probally in a decade just because it's mmo they can't afford the ridiculous time and money requirement in order to enjoy it.

FTFY
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons