Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
Re: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.
« Reply #1545 on: February 24, 2017, 02:21:59 AM »
I was critical from the start. I always thought the world and characters were terrible, but I thought the combat was alright (up to the point I realized this was all it had to offer).

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: February 24, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »
Interesting to see so many people being critical of the game now because I feel like when it had just come out the only ones on this board really criticizing it were me and Alisha.  And I hate to generalize but I kind of feel like Alisha's main reason for hating it was that it was full of dudes.
I was not criticizing it at release because I did not play it at release. :p

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: February 26, 2017, 04:18:54 PM »
Okay, so, let's talk Chapter 9...

Spoiler: show
Actually, it got off to a pretty good start. I really like Altissia. Getting around via gondola was a little annoying, but not the end of the world and I loved the visual design of the city. It was nice to see a bit more of Luna too and I really enjoyed the diplomatic meeting Noctis had with the city's ruler. I actually felt like he/I was a new (if inexperienced) king doing royal stuff. Dunno if the outcome actually changes much, but I enjoyed the dialogue anyway. I also liked Luna's meeting with Leviathan, even if the cutscenes jumped around/skipped a bit too much beforehand.

Now, let's talk about what ruined the entire chapter for me: the Leviathan fight and the following cutscene. Seriously, what a piece of poorly designed crap (even if it looked amazing visually). For starters, I had no idea how to even attack Leviathan. I was warp-striking in there like nobody's business, but not even connecting: miss, miss, miss, miss, miss etc. for 15 minutes. "Oh, I fell in the water again and took another 400 damage because for some reason the game wouldn't let me warp-strike while I was falling that time? Fun, fun!" I paused, went and took a breather, then came back and tried again and finally managed to connect a couple of times so I at least finally knew I was doing the right thing. Then it got buggy: Noctis went flying around at odd angles, got caught inside Leviathan once (thought I'd had to reload my save for a minute), and my camera got completely screwed up at one point so I couldn't see Noctis any more. Once I finally got up to Part 2, there were some dumb QTEs and then Hold Circle to Win(tm), but the battle still takes like another 5-10 minutes (where you do little more than hold circle). I was so happy when it was over.

Story-wise... where on earth did Ardyn even come from when he stabbed Luna? Seriously, he was suddenly just there. An imperial ship comes and picks him up afterwards, but there didn't appear to be one there before that. Kind of ruined the moment for me. Also... I wasn't as sad about Luna dying as I thought I would be. I'll blame shoddy characterisation for that. And, technically this is the beginning of chapter 10, but Gladio was a huge dick to Noctis, imo: "Suck it up and get over the fact that your fiance/life-long friend died." I know he's the king and they have stuff to do (and a couple of weeks had passed), but seriously, a little empathy buddy. Respect lost.

Edit: Also, does it bother anyone else that Noctis can warp-strike with a fair bit of versatility in battle, but when he comes to an environmental hazard (eg. small broken bridge), he's all like: Oh, how can I get over this? Better go around! *facepalm* I get that the rest of the guys can't follow him, but still...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:23:13 PM by Andrew »

MattSpilly

• View Profile
    • Twitch.
« Reply #1548 on: February 26, 2017, 05:27:47 PM »
I have just done Chapter 9 myself.  I found myself thinking it was awesome to swearing alot.  I mean, alot.  What in the world just happened. 

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #1549 on: February 26, 2017, 05:58:28 PM »
Regarding Chapter 9

How long did that fight take you guys? I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought it was a mess. I think I was hacking away for 20 minutes maybe? There was no strategy at all.

Also...

I promise I like this game a lot. I swear. It's just seeing people who have the same hang ups is really making me reevaluate things.

MattSpilly

• View Profile
    • Twitch.
« Reply #1550 on: February 26, 2017, 06:29:56 PM »
The fight..

Honestly, it took me a far while.  I'm awful at the air combat in this game.  It was pretty clunky through out.  Didn't check time but 20 minutes for it all doesn't sound far off.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: February 26, 2017, 08:59:41 PM »
Regarding Chapter 9

How long did that fight take you guys? I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought it was a mess. I think I was hacking away for 20 minutes maybe? There was no strategy at all.

O.o

I don't recall having any issues with that fight myself. I feel like the whole thing took me less than 5 min, but I wasn't timing myself so I might be off.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: February 26, 2017, 10:18:45 PM »
I had very little problem with the Chapter 9 fight. I thought it was really fun and took only 5ish minutes.

Chapter 9 was probably my favorite chapter.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: February 26, 2017, 10:57:41 PM »
Not sure why we're spoiler tagging the chapter 9 fight when we're all just saying "the chapter 9 fight" now, it's semi redundant I think. Anyway, yeah, it took me a whole 2 minutes to realize how to do the fight and another 2 to win, wasn't brain surgery. I also went and did every sidequest, dungeon, and mini game I could find before that point so I was pretty well off. Think I got there around level 80ish or so.

TASTY!

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #1554 on: February 27, 2017, 01:53:40 AM »
I was evidently doing something very wrong. I was in the high 50s and had the best equipment, including the Ultimate Weapon.

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: February 27, 2017, 05:58:57 AM »
I'm only lv36, but as I said above I spent 15 minutes just missing the damn thing no matter how much I locked on and warp-striked.

MattSpilly

• View Profile
    • Twitch.
« Reply #1556 on: February 27, 2017, 09:21:35 AM »
I was level 40 odd with some alright weapons but not gone out of my way to get anything special.  Vendor weapons have done fine.  Did Chapter 13 last night.. felt like I was playing FFXIII/2 again, horrible!  Hopefully Chapter 14 is a bit better.  Won't get to find out until Weds!

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: February 27, 2017, 11:36:28 AM »
I also spent way too much time in the first half of the fight trying to figure out what I was supposed to do, because lock on + warp strike + try to warp to another building (but usually fall into the drink) seemed to be getting me nowhere for what felt like forever. Was just starting to get really frustrated when I guess I finally hit some damage threshold (though I swear it didn't feel like I was really doing anything), and transitioned to the second half of the fight. Which was cool and a lot more fun (if incredibly easy).

My takeaway is that the first half of the fight is quite possibly the worst battle experience in the entire game, while the second is quite possibly the coolest. If I were ever to replay the game, I'd be looking forward to the epicness of the second half, while simultaneously dreading having to get past the first half.

MattSpilly

• View Profile
    • Twitch.
« Reply #1558 on: March 01, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »
Just finished the game.  Chapter 14 was alot better.  I have a huge love/hate for the game.  So many plotholes, so much missed potential.  It did some things so right.  Will get round to getting my platinum after I've finished with Zelda.

IhaveFURY

• Administrator
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: March 02, 2017, 05:12:47 PM »
I missed that you'd asked me a question a while back, Andrew. xD I honestly don't remember the first phase of Leviathan being that hard, although this could be because I went and got all of the optional Royal Arms before progressing with the story past chapter 8.

Honestly, while I agree with a lot of the gripes regarding the story and latter portions of the game (it's blatantly unfinished: chapter 13 and 14 are honestly pretty cool, and the ending/final boss sequence is wonderful, but chapters 10-12 barely even register because of how brief they are), I really loved the setting and the core cast of characters. I watched both Brotherhood and Kingsglaive as they were coming out, so I already had a bit of a grounding in the game's world- and to be fair, a lot of that should have been in the game, or alluded to better, but it does lend some context I appreciated. The main cast feels grounded, when compared to previous Final Fantasy games, which I really jived with.

Honestly, I really just wish the setting was fleshed out a bit more. I want more background on the Astrals, Lucis' history, what makes this world tick.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:16:06 PM by IhaveFURY »