Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 04:10:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319062 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Best **Badass** Moments in games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Best **Badass** Moments in games  (Read 2994 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 05:38:14 PM »

Y'know, taking every opportunity available to insult a game or franchise even when it adds nothing to the discussion at hand seems kind of... cheap.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 05:45:53 PM »

Y'know, taking every opportunity available to insult a game or franchise even when it adds nothing to the discussion at hand seems kind of... cheap.

I think he's talking about blitzball and not FFX itself.

Breath of fire IV
Two points in the game really stand out for me as being scenes of total badassness
Code:
The first is at Ershins "last stand" where Ershin says "If someone asked you to escape, leaving them behind, what would you do? It becomes even more badass when you realise she means it as a legitimate question.
The second is the scene with Scias at the windmill

The censored US cutscene with Fou-lu and some annoying badguy was pretty badass too.  The Japanese version is somewhere online and the US version was sanitized.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTxovNUKjJA

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 06:25:29 PM »

Blitzball was not fun to play and it wasn't visceral like that opening FMV.  

Moving on, I think Heavy Rain deserves mention.  The torturous things Ethan Mars does to get his son back... he's f'n hard core!  Just an average, nondescript, kinda dorky family guy, and he does some truly hard core (and often cringeworthy) things to get his son back.  I can't pick just one moment, since there are several.  

EDIT:  I think the scene where Ethan
Code:
has to cut off one of his fingers with the bladed device of his choice
is a good example.  If you play the game that way, then it's pretty badass the lengths he'll go to get his son back. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:48:51 AM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 06:48:05 PM »

Suikoden 2
Code:
Luca Blight taking on your whole army while looking like a giant Shish Kabob from bieng bombarded by arrows, and afterwards finally falling after a one on one duel with the hero, then giving a badass quote before dying.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 07:45:08 PM »

I think he's talking about blitzball and not FFX itself.

^This. The cutscene would have you think that Blitzball is more than underwater soccer which it unfortunately isn't. And its not even a good not-soccer simulator given that Blitzball's difficulty is entirely front loaded (which can only be surmounted if you obtain the game breaking move from that one QTE on the boat; otherwise you're stuck waiting until you can start grinding bigger numbers) and outside of its introduction in the plot all its good for is to grind for Wakka's stuffs.

And while I may not like FFX in some ways, its definitely not a game I can honestly say that I hate or is shit.

Anyways, to the topic at hand, the reunion with Lavitz in Legend of Dragoon after he leaves your party is another contribution I'm making to the pile of badass.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 07:55:06 PM »

Ah, my mistake. I thought Blitzball was fun enough as it was basically just water polo under the surface. Certainly ten times better than what they did with it in X-2.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 08:59:21 PM »

I enjoyed playing blitzball a lot and leveling my players, as long as you don't abuse the AI behavior by just scoring a goal and sit next to your own goal and they won't come after you. I also really enjoyed 10-2s class system, it was fun, the story is meh, but gameplay, trigger happy ALL DAY.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 09:25:39 PM »

I thought that Blitzball FMV at the beginning of FFX, after Tidus gets done signing autographs and acting all cool with the crowd, was pretty badass.  It looked like a rough, badass, futuristic sport, like underwater rugby, with a metal song playing in the background.  Tidus even had that look when he sent that opposing player flying into the stands.   

Too bad he turned out to be one of those entitled, kinda spoilt-bratty, whiny type jocks with "first world problem" daddy issues. 

Don't forget that the game itself wasn't that hot either, and got really boring really fast.

Which reminds me, why does everyone adore Auron for being a badass?  Give a guy some shades and a giant sword and, voila, badass??
Yeah, I liked that Titus cutscene at the start too.  90% of jocks are much more calmer and cooler than he is.

Raquel in WA4 has a good cutscene where she shows of her sword skills.

Any cutscene in Drakengard 2 that deals with Urik or even Caim.

The first FF13 cutscene, where Lightning uses her super gravity power that's never seen again.

Yuri the vigilante, of course.

Fou-Lu from Breath of Fire IV going all maniac king and beheading a man.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 11:10:50 PM »

My contribution would be any cutscene from Graces F where Sophie saves the day. Favorite one being the first half of the battle with Richard in Lhant at the end of Chapter 3... you know, before it went all DBZ for the second half.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 11:24:58 PM »

The part in Chrono Cross where I sprained my ankle about a week after finishing it, and the part in Terranigma where I did nothing but play it for a week because I had a sprained ankle.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 11:42:24 PM »

I fucking love the part in Ninja Gaiden 2 on the NES where Ryu fucking checks out the enemy castle from a distance

What a fucking badass.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 11:44:52 PM »

You're not playing this game properly Yoda. :[

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 12:19:36 AM »

You're not playing this game properly Yoda. :[
Actually, I think he's the only one that is.

My contribution: Shadow of the Colossus. The entire game.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 12:52:50 AM »

I thought that Blitzball FMV at the beginning of FFX, after Tidus gets done signing autographs and acting all cool with the crowd, was pretty badass.  It looked like a rough, badass, futuristic sport, like underwater rugby, with a metal song playing in the background.  Tidus even had that look when he sent that opposing player flying into the stands.   

Too bad he turned out to be one of those entitled, kinda spoilt-bratty, whiny type jocks with "first world problem" daddy issues. 

Don't forget that the game itself wasn't that hot either, and got really boring really fast.

Which reminds me, why does everyone adore Auron for being a badass?  Give a guy some shades and a giant sword and, voila, badass??
Yeah, I liked that Titus cutscene at the start too.  90% of jocks are much more calmer and cooler than he is.

That's pretty much my guess. Having an ensemble almost lifted straight out of Naruto didn't help matters either. (Even though Sephiroth was even more overrated for an almost entirely black outfit, long flowing white hair, and eyes as bishe as whoa (then again, he also had a long ass sword and a dead chick mounted on his mantle).)

Actually, my real guess is that teenagers are fucking morons. Especially if the majority of their literary experience derives from those little text boxes in video games or comic book speech bubbles.

Kinda like Wolverine really. Give a guy the ability to not die ever, claws, an attitude, and a bunch of super friends to attitude at while making them look like chumps, and watch like a dozen comic book mini series and nearly half a dozen movies about the guy roll on in.

And getting back on the subject yet again, the second fight in Riovanes Castle in FFT (provided you aren't brick walled by it). Namely because you just wrecked the guy who just wrecked an entire castle nearly single-handed plus his pals (plus you just got through probably the most difficult battle in a game with several difficult battles).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 01:02:16 AM »

In the realm of Final Fantasy, for me it is Shadow in FFVI when...

Code:
He tries to save the day on the floating continent.

Although I can't believe no listed General Leo and...

Code:
his last stand in Thamasa.

And for the record, I happened to become really addicted to blitzball for awhile. Although admittingly, Tidus himself almost turns me off to the game entirely.

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: