Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:42:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319718 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, Listen to his story again...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, Listen to his story again...  (Read 14551 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2013, 12:31:12 PM »

One theme I liked in X-2 was that of rebuilding/reconstruction, because that process is always filled with uncertainty.  In FFX where you break open the truth about Yevon to the people, many like Wakka still cling to their shattered faith.  FFX-2 has a New Yevon faction and the opposing Youth League.  New Yevon is proof that many in Spira could not have faith in a non-religious world.  By contrast, there's that one guy Beclem who's hardcore atheist and harshly admonishes the Besaid Aurochs for doing "ancient meaningless traditions" such as praying.  There's also Dona and Barthello.  They were tighter than teeth and gums in FFX, but when she joined the Youth League and he joined New Yevon, it wasn't pretty.  Interesting that no matter how close you are, where you place your faith can tear even the closest people apart.

Bottom line, the FFX/X-2 saga has some solid thematic elements, but execution was not always consistent.

And, like I said before, I actually agree with Alisha that FFX had my favorite battle system of any FF game.

I approve of this nonsense!
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2013, 01:27:46 PM »

Well too fucking bad that X got a sequel then. T_T'

I mean, one of the reasons why X-2 was made in the first place was because a decent amount of fans wanted to see more VII and X universes, so Square did that and the classic case of gamers wanting a thing, getting the thing and then complaining endlessly for years about how it wasn't exactly what they wanted or expected happened.

Relax. I'm not hating on X-2. Don't know enough about it to do so. Just sayin', it sounds like something I can miss and not lose any sleep over. I do get your point, though.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »

I'm looking forward to trying X2 for the first time.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2013, 10:12:30 PM »

It's safe to say that FFX-2 is a cotton candy RPG; it's a fluffy, empty calorie sweet with not much substance.  But sometimes, cotton candy is what you want.  And as far as cotton candy goes, X-2 is a decent enough ball of the spun sugar confection.  Not a bad game, but not too fulfilling either. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2013, 10:16:47 PM »

I'd personally recommend not getting the "True Ending" extra movie, too.  I felt that hindered the game's, and series', overall narrative.
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2013, 10:17:55 PM »

It's safe to say that FFX-2 is a cotton candy RPG; it's a fluffy, empty calorie sweet with not much substance.  But sometimes, cotton candy is what you want.  And as far as cotton candy goes, X-2 is a decent enough ball of the spun sugar confection.  Not a bad game, but not too fulfilling either. 

My cotton candy never moaned loudly as I touched it that I had to lower the volume because it was really embarrassing.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2013, 10:21:56 PM »

My cotton candy never moaned loudly as I touched it that I had to lower the volume because it was really embarrassing.

You're eating the wrong cotton candy then.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2013, 11:18:24 PM »

I remember my dad asking me what the hell I was playing when Kingdom Hearts went on a friendship dialogue train.

I was embarrassed.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2013, 11:21:50 PM »

I'd personally recommend not getting the "True Ending" extra movie, too.  I felt that hindered the game's, and series', overall narrative.

Sure you can do the whole "Lalalala~♪ That didn't happen, that's not canon." thing but that doesn't mean that is going to go away because of it.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2013, 02:07:14 AM »

I wasn't trying to say that it isn't canon, nor was I saying one should close their eyes and ears to its existence.  I was just saying he may enjoy it a bit more that way.

Code:
I simply found the scene. . .invalidating.  Despite the overall tone, I enjoyed the story up until that point exactly.

However, on the subject of "ignore it," I find the people who close their eyes and "lalala, these connections to FFVII don't
exist and certainly weren't confirmed by the director  in the X Ultimania!" to be far more annoying.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2013, 04:18:53 AM »

^I never could complete X-2, at best I just reached like 75% and I was pretty satisfied with the ending I got.

About the Compilation of FFVII. Was that ever finished or not? I never seen all the mateial from the compilation, but I remember someone saying that SQEX should have done a sequel to Dirge of Cerberus because of some of kind of secret ending there that showed Genesis Gackt and some stuff was left unfinished.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2013, 05:52:37 AM »

I actually enjoyed Dirge of Cerberus, a great deal! A fantastic soundtrack from Masashi Hamauzu.  Did Square just abandon a chance for a sequel?  That game was released when? 2006?

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2013, 06:09:45 AM »

^I never could complete X-2, at best I just reached like 75% and I was pretty satisfied with the ending I got.

About the Compilation of FFVII. Was that ever finished or not? I never seen all the mateial from the compilation, but I remember someone saying that SQEX should have done a sequel to Dirge of Cerberus because of some of kind of secret ending there that showed Genesis Gackt and some stuff was left unfinished.

I think it was finished, but my only source on that matter is that they haven't put out any new games recently. Do they really need to make more, though?  Outside of milking for $$$.  They've pretty much thoroughly told FFVII's story and elaborated what needed elaborating. But in this case I was actually referring to the relationship between VII/X that was elaborated on in X-2 that some people vehemently deny despite it actually being confirmed;
Code:
That is: X and VII take place on the same world.
I wasn't aware that people even denied the VII Compilation's existence anymore, I thought it was sort of a dejected acceptance, haha.

And yeah, I actually really like the default/"Good" ending in X-2.  It's this one I was complaining about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXlBumDiI_U
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2013, 06:42:41 AM »

But in this case I was actually referring to the relationship between VII/X that was elaborated on in X-2 that some people vehemently deny despite it actually being confirmed;
Code:
That is: X and VII take place on the same world.

.....Wait what? Could you elaborate on that spoiler block because I don't remember anything to that effect (probably wasn't paying attention).
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2013, 07:32:16 AM »

^I never saw that mentioned in X-2 in a direct way but it was a big deal in two Ultimania books back in the day, and still is really.

Connection to Final Fantasy VII -- Source: Final Fantasy Wiki

I actually enjoyed Dirge of Cerberus, a great deal! A fantastic soundtrack from Masashi Hamauzu.  Did Square just abandon a chance for a sequel?  That game was released when? 2006?

Not sure. Outside of FFVII, Advent Children and two OVAs (one that is no longer canon I think) are all of what I saw from the compilation, and that's why I was asking if anybody here knew something because I saw the secret ending with Genesis Gackt appearing for curiosity but I have not much context to understand what was happening in that scene other than what fans of VII had said before.

And yes Dirge of Cerberus was released back in 2006.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: