Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 03:18:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319161 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, Listen to his story again...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, Listen to his story again...  (Read 13871 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2013, 05:07:50 PM »

Glad they arranged the battle theme, I always had problems with the original composition as some of you might already know.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2013, 05:58:47 PM »

I do like the original, but the new one is great IMO. It'll take some getting used to, but after watching my brother play FFX these last few weeks, I'll welcome the change.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »

Loving the arrangement.  It's like they took an already good headlight on a car, polished up the lens, and now it's bright and clear. 

And, as I said before, FFX still has my favorite (and, IMO, the best) battle system EVER in a Final Fantasy game.  Hopefully one day the series will revisit that engine again. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »

The arrangement is "ok". I'm just curious if "Wandering Flame" will be arranged.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »

I love the remaster version because the melody otherwise bores me to death -- so I'm happy to hear it "spruced up" if nothing else :D

NEED GAME YAY

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2013, 10:51:11 PM »

I like the new arrangement! I still like the old battle theme too, but it's surprising how MIDI-like some of the instruments sound.

I can't wait to add this to my growing collection of portable FF games on my Vita.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2013, 12:59:42 AM »

Glad they arranged the battle theme, I always had problems with the original composition as some of you might already know.

I thought it was fine.

The new one is a little bit too "spacey" for me.

I really hope this isn't coming out on the 10th. That means I'm *just* going to miss it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »

^Part of the problem that I had with the battle theme is that it never worked as a battle theme for me. Sure is fine, but it doesn't have that sort of intensity that elevates the action of what you are doing at that moment.

I said this on the Random VGM thread, but before hearing the appropriately called "Battle Theme" in Final Fantasy X you hear "Hurry!!" which is far better and has all of the intensity that the original main battle theme never had.

Also, I have to put this here: "He is big, he is bad, he is your DAD!!!"
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2013, 03:02:35 AM »

It infuriates me that people still think Rammstein composed "Otherworld".  I've been a fan of them since 1997, but it sounds nothing like them,lol. They're actually one of my favorite bands from Germany in the Neue Deutsche Härte subgenre.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2013, 10:37:55 AM »

Rammstein are just a Laibach knockoff anyway.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »

^Part of the problem that I had with the battle theme is that it never worked as a battle theme for me. Sure is fine, but it doesn't have that sort of intensity that elevates the action of what you are doing at that moment.

I said this on the Random VGM thread, but before hearing the appropriately called "Battle Theme" in Final Fantasy X you hear "Hurry!!" which is far better and has all of the intensity that the original main battle theme never had.

Also, I have to put this here: "He is big, he is bad, he is your DAD!!!"

Yeah, I definitely think that as well.  It sort of stays the same throughout the whole song, I just didn't feel it wasn't a very interesting melody.

Speaking of Rammstein, I love that Enya tends to be over-credited for anything that sounds 'like' her work (iirc, the Gladiator ending was mistakenly attached to her for a while).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2013, 12:11:57 PM »

Otherworld is a song that I feel could have been good, but was not done properly.  The way the song was produced and EQ'd made is sound like mud with too much treble.  In my review of the Final Fantasy Vocal Collection soundtrack, I said this about Otherworld:

I appreciate the experimentation into heavy metal with "Otherworld", and it goes very well with that first Blitzball scene, but it's not as good a song as it could have been. The main riff is solid, and there is some delightfully dissonant soloing during the bridge and choruses, but the overall tone is too processed and compressed, leading to a somewhat nasal sound. I feel the same way about the guttural, growled vocals. They are so processed and compressed that they sound almost auto-tuned. What I also disliked was that the spoken vocals during the bridge took away from the cool solo that was going on. And do not get me started on the paper-thin lyrics. Metal is one of my favorite genres of music, particularly death metal, and I like my guitars and vocals with a fuller, crisper, and more organic sound. I think the razor-sharp sound of Fear Factory's album "Demanufacture" is what "Otherworld" should have tried for instead of the muddy mess it is.

I did like the Black Mages version of it with the clean female vocal.  Maybe it didn't fit the music as well as a growler would, but it was far preferable to the overly processed growling in the original version where it sounded like an autotuned metalcore vocalist with a paper bag on his head. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »

Otherworld is a song that I feel could have been good, but was not done properly.  The way the song was produced and EQ'd made is sound like mud with too much treble.  In my review of the Final Fantasy Vocal Collection soundtrack, I said this about Otherworld:

I appreciate the experimentation into heavy metal with "Otherworld", and it goes very well with that first Blitzball scene, but it's not as good a song as it could have been. The main riff is solid, and there is some delightfully dissonant soloing during the bridge and choruses, but the overall tone is too processed and compressed, leading to a somewhat nasal sound. I feel the same way about the guttural, growled vocals. They are so processed and compressed that they sound almost auto-tuned. What I also disliked was that the spoken vocals during the bridge took away from the cool solo that was going on. And do not get me started on the paper-thin lyrics. Metal is one of my favorite genres of music, particularly death metal, and I like my guitars and vocals with a fuller, crisper, and more organic sound. I think the razor-sharp sound of Fear Factory's album "Demanufacture" is what "Otherworld" should have tried for instead of the muddy mess it is.

I did like the Black Mages version of it with the clean female vocal.  Maybe it didn't fit the music as well as a growler would, but it was far preferable to the overly processed growling in the original version where it sounded like an autotuned metalcore vocalist with a paper bag on his head. 

I am on the opposite side of the spectrum. I agree that it went well with the blitzball match in the beginning and I also loved when it played during the boss fight. While I like the Black Mages version I can't see it working in either of those parts of the game.

I do agree with you when it comes to listening to it outside the game though. I felt it fit perfectly with the game but its flaws were more noticeable outside it.

Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2013, 01:53:35 PM »

LOL! While true, both bands are amazing :D

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »

LOL! While true, both bands are amazing :D

Yeah, Rammstein are okay. Laibach have a little more wit to them I find.

I like the original vocals a lot. The problem I have with it is the drums sound like shit. They should sound really powerful and driving, and they sound like they got a jazz drummer to come in and lightly play for them. It just doesn't fit.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: