Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:38:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319179 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Nintendo refuses to budge on region locking >:(
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nintendo refuses to budge on region locking >:(  (Read 646 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »

http://www.barrelrollgaming.com/2013/07/end-region-locking.html

"Nintendo has no plans to remove region locking from our systems. By taking this approach, Nintendo is able to include parental controls and ensure compliance with regional standards and rating systems."

What a load of horse shit.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 02:13:15 AM »

Yeah, it's honestly really ridiculous, they're ass backwards on that front.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 05:49:14 AM »

Their reasons for not doing it are so freaking stupid.. I will make sure to buy everything used from them so they dont get any of my money, especially when I get around to importing the inevitable NA exclusive along with a NA 3ds.

http://backloggery.com/holykael1 - For all my playing shenanigans
"It takes nothing but a single pint of milk to ruin the pure, black magic of the coffee."
"Darker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself...that is coffee."
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »

I like the part where they try to justify it by saying different countries have different rating agencies and what is acceptable in one culture may not be acceptable in another.

I'd buy that if these games were sold side by side at gamestop but they aren't.  While I know there are a couple import stores out there that do sell games, they are largely the minority making gamers have to specifically seek out websites that specialize in imports.  Their reasoning just isn't believable.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 10:32:40 PM »

I like the part where they try to justify it by saying different countries have different rating agencies and what is acceptable in one culture may not be acceptable in another.

I'd buy that if these games were sold side by side at gamestop but they aren't.  While I know there are a couple import stores out there that do sell games, they are largely the minority making gamers have to specifically seek out websites that specialize in imports.  Their reasoning just isn't believable.
There's also the angle you could either lock out importing entirely, finetune based on each rating system, or do something automatic based on the desired rating. Nevermind that while on average each country has different values every single person has different values, just because a game got an M in the US doesn't mean people won't lets kids under 17 play the games as CoD readily shows. It's just a lame excuse with Nintendo being as obsessively protective as usual, though hopefully constantly drawing attention to this will make them eventually realize it is possible to address that in ways that do address some people's concerns.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 04:49:11 AM »

i believe i read somewhere that this is more an anti piracy trick then what they are passing it off as.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 05:32:13 AM »

Seems backwards. Unavailability leads to more piracy. I went and bought a second 3DS so I could play games as they are released in the US, but not everyone is going to have the money to do that plus import all their games like I do. It's 10x more likely they will just get a flashcart or emulate it instead, and then no money at all goes to Nintendo.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 12:47:23 PM »

Well.

Maybe Nintendo needs to be

#needlesslyobtusevisualpuns
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:27:01 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 02:14:51 AM »

Has the Nintendo bubble burst?
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »

That sucks. Looks like I will never be playing Harvest Moon: A New Beginning then.

This screws over both those who want to import Japan only games or Europeans who want to play games that had been translated but never brought to us. I am in the latter category but it sucks for both.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:35:41 AM by Darilon » Logged

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 03:17:46 AM »

Has the Nintendo bubble burst?

The 3DS is still selling well but I'm really thinking twice about getting one when I go home.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: