Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 10:23:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332835 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  NISA announces Danganronpa and Demon Gaze
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: NISA announces Danganronpa and Demon Gaze  (Read 2588 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 12:22:56 AM »

Monokuma's voice doesn't bother me. Honestly it's not any squeakier than P4's Teddie or anything. It's the written dialog that grates on my nerves just because it's half-hearted mustache twirling. I'm going to assume character development comes in after Chapter 1 but having to sit through 4 hours of shallow connections is just waaaay too long. You pretty much know exactly who is going to die
Code:
because she's the only one who gets any reasonable amount of dialog to herself outside of trope marching; which most of hers is anyway.

Maybe, again I'll give benefit of the doubt that this is all Chapter 2+ development. It's still a harsh introduction I feel could've been handled much better. Horror stories in particular need you to link with the characters right out the gate so you can empathize with their plight. This should be happening well before the first head rolls.

And it's not really the skin tone specifically as it is the skin tone + chimp face. It's like pitch black skin isn't a bad thing unless you pair it with big eyes and bulging lips. Personally I wouldn't outright call it racism but it's well into Jinx/Mr. Popo territory. You know the 'intent' wasn't that but you have to wonder exactly how no one said "Um...you're toeing that line" somewhere along the production.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 12:42:04 AM »

It's very likely NISA has adopted the modern approach to such things and figured out that allowing fan translations to hit the net means people will Lets Play the material. Lets Plays = Exposure = Free Marketing. It helps that Nintendo finally backpedaled on their initial iron fist stance regarding that; so a smaller company like NISA wouldn't be foolish in following suit.

In all fairness though, seriously, fuck trying to read that clusterfuck of an LP on SA. That sucker's got like a hojillion pages with untold loads of walls o' :spergin:, nevermind reading the updates themselves which are fairly lengthy endeavors themselves.

Besides, what's wrong with a murder mystery game that's more about trying to solve the mysteries of donuts then about the murder of the day? Besides, its not like these characters are any more shallow than a Tales of or modern FF's cast.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 01:06:27 AM »

Eh, I haven't run across an FF cast that's rubbed me the wrong way quite this badly (don't play many Tales games but Graces F has it's own special rant about horrific, contrived writing). You're probably right with that comparison. I just kinda have my standards set high for VNs and horror in particular I guess. This is something I'd more expect from a JRPG of AT3's standard.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 01:47:01 AM »

Eh, I haven't run across an FF cast that's rubbed me the wrong way quite this badly (don't play many Tales games but Graces F has it's own special rant about horrific, contrived writing). You're probably right with that comparison. I just kinda have my standards set high for VNs and horror in particular I guess. This is something I'd more expect from a JRPG of AT3's standard.

Nah, as one dimensional as Dangan Ronpa's characters might be, they aren't actively stripping themselves down to 'power up' or other lame attempts at fan service/sexual innuendo/JAPAN!!!:argh: justification.

Then again, even at best, I tend to find VNs mediocre at best with their particular gimmick to be the only differentiating factor between them.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 02:55:11 AM »

Nah, as one dimensional as Dangan Ronpa's characters might be, they aren't actively stripping themselves down to 'power up' or other lame attempts at fan service/sexual innuendo/JAPAN!!!:argh: justification.

IMO, Monokuma threw himself into that bin by making an appearance mid-chapter only for the sole purpose of giving an overly long masturbation joke. Again having me wonder if that's what he really said or if that was a fan-translation Japanese-to-English context choice.

Also motivation to buy Danganronpa just to compare how NISA decides to localize this dialog. XD
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 05:45:25 AM »

Without spoiling anything imagine if you will I was going to tell you a realistic horror story about a children being slaughtered. Then during the story I told you the first load of children were offed by REAL purple dinosaurs swinging nerf bats at super sonic speeds and singing "I Love You~!" the whole time.

Mood? Dissonance.  Theme? Dissonance. Reader? Confused to all hell.

That story sounds pretty amazing, I thought. But I can definetly appreciate a good mood whip-lash. And dinosaurs.
The writing itself being bad is more worrying. I might check out the first anime episode just to get a feel for the style. I guess there won't be that much spoilers of the mystery part in the first episode.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »

I may've missed the mark with that analogy. Let me try that from a different angle.

When you read a story/watch a movie/play a game/whatever; you expect the story to quite quickly tell you what it's 'theme' is so you can set expectations, get in the right mindset, and understand the rules of the story's world.

I.E: Star Trek informs you very early on that it is a Science Fiction show/movie. Thus you can cater your expectations for the show to mostly adhere to quasi-real science (allowing for bending strict adherence to reality through Technobabble, technology advanced enough to be 'like' magic, ect.) and more 'realistic' interpretations of outer space.

I.E: Star Wars (talking originals here) informs you that this is a Science Fantasy movie. This allows things like the force to exist without needing any sort of pseudo-scientific explanation. There are more instances of 'magic' that are allowed to pass and to outright be 'expected' because we know this is the theme of the story.

I.E: Doctor Who usually tries to blend Science Fiction and Science Fantasy so the viewers can have the best of both worlds at any given time.

You can have mixed themes. But you need to tell your audience that.

Danganronpa tries to take the piss out on it's reader by constantly being in a state of confusion about what it is.

*not what happens to prevent spoilers but still the general idea*
Danganronpa: This is a realistic-fiction story. We explain everything through the Jigsaw method of convoluted mechanical set ups.
Reader: ...but that guy just broke the sound barrier without any vehicular aide.
Danganronpa: Um....never you mind that. We're realistic!
Reader: ...you're also violating a few fundamental, third-grade level laws of physics over there.
Danganronpa: No no no, it's all realistically themed I assure you!
Reader: ...and I'm pretty sure you're summoning Chthulu every other hour...
Danganronpa: I can't hear you! Lalalalala!

Now if the story outright just implied a Fantasy/Realism hybrid...that would be fine. All my problems would be solved in a snap. Instead it keeps insisting on claiming everything is 'realistic' through narration/dialog while the actions taking place clearly scream 'fantasy'. Danganronpa keeps trying to lie about what it is for some reason.

Although in all fairness this can probably be blamed directly on Kazutaka Kodaka and his insistence on using this poorly chosen artistic approach. It just does not blend well at all with the narrative. It's like trying to tell me a Chocolate shake with mashed potatoes, clams, coffee grinds, and banana peels tossed in is a 'tasty' idea.

No...no it's not. XP

Also, I wouldn't rely on the anime to give you an impression of the writing quality (and also keep in mind what we've seen so far is the Fan Translation; NISA might take more corrective liberties). Yes, the plot is the same but at a cursory glance it suffers the same problem as any VN to Anime conversion. Major compression. Scenes will be rushed, new interpretations will be given, and vast bits of dialog/character moments will be chopped. Not to say this is bad in Danganronpa's case (can't judge that until I play the full game/see the full show) but there will be a significant difference. Chopping out gameplay mechanics and distractions I'd say roughly 2-2.5 of my 4 hours spent in Chapter 1 was just reading dialog.

The prologue and Chapter 1, from the looks of it, are being compressed down into 40~ minutes of episode.

2.5 Hours vs 40 Minutes; material will be cut/rewritten to make that work. XD
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:19:42 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »

Well either way, it still doesn't change the fact that I would've taken a Senran Kagura game or Queen's Gate (for more crossover SRPG goodness) over any or all of these games. At least Dangan Ronpa should be semi-entertaining at least.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 05:59:15 PM »

Yep, despite being hyper-critical I can't deny there being entertainment here or there in the game. Enough to easily warrant a purchase.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 06:54:12 PM »

Well either way, it still doesn't change the fact that I would've taken a Senran Kagura game or Queen's Gate (for more crossover SRPG goodness) over any or all of these games. At least Dangan Ronpa should be semi-entertaining at least.

Senran Kagura?  Aeolus, give your tastes I'm not sure you realize what you're asking for with that...

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 12:13:11 AM »

Senran Kagura?  Aeolus, give your tastes I'm not sure you realize what you're asking for with that...

It has girls in exploding clothing. I know exactly what I'm asking for. >_>

And before you ask, yes I did spring for Teh 3rd Birthday as well for very much the same reason (but I got it second hand because that's all its worth). Although AT3 on the other hand, is not quite the same thing. Thus I skipped right over that one.

Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 01:00:22 AM »

I finished the game with a translation patch a while ago. I loved it.

I think it treads a fine line between realism and fantasy. There's quite a few things that are obviously more than absurd in a real life setting, but it's absurdities are consistent with the overall style and mood of the game. It's over the top, but it never becomes overBEARing with its ridiculous moments.

I do think that the characters aren't overly interesting. There's a sense of character development to each of them, but they seem to fulfill a very specific role throughout the whole game, depending on what they are branded as. I personally didn't relate nor empathize with any of them, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the interactions between the characters.

To me, the main points of interest was the premise (people having to kill each other in a Battle Royale like setting), the zany presentation and the mystery of it on both micro and macro level. The main theme wasn't anything special, but I commend the developers' concluding the game in such a tactful way. If you're into any of those things I mentioned, this is the game for you.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable ride, but I can see why it might turn off some people. The only gripe I had about the game was the typical illusion of choice, albeit in this particular case it was downright insulting.

I'll probably expand on my thoughts later, it's just that my head's going nuts after being in the sun all day long.

Kudos to Project Zetsubou for translating it. They took some liberties, but it was worth it. The translation screams quality.
Also, from what I saw, anime sucks.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:02:57 AM by Raziel » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 03:48:03 AM »

It has girls in exploding clothing. I know exactly what I'm asking for. >_>

And before you ask, yes I did spring for Teh 3rd Birthday as well for very much the same reason (but I got it second hand because that's all its worth). Although AT3 on the other hand, is not quite the same thing. Thus I skipped right over that one.

If only exploding clothing was it.  Well, I've only played Shinobi Versus, which is generally regarded as having the best gameplay but also kicks to the fanservice up to 11.  And at least in that game the characters come off as some of the most vapid one-dimensional stereotypes I have ever seen in any video game.  And I've played some real crap so that's saying something.  You criticize AT3 but the writing in Shinobi Versus makes AT3 look like Shakespeare...

Then there's the more subtle creep factor.  Like a lot of games these days, there are new outfits and stuff you can unlock.  Except this is the only game I've ever seen where every single outfit (literally every single one) is some kind of fetish cosplay.  From the requisite maid uniform to skin-tight body suits, even the infamous naked apron.  There's something for every fetish...unless you just want normal clothes.  The default sets are about as normal as it gets.

Oh well, the gameplay is still decent...

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 01:16:02 AM »

http://nisamerica.com/games/danganronpa/

Main site's up.

Seems I'm not the only one who disdained Hifumi's design. All NISA could think of to call him was "Fatty".

No, seriously.

...I have to wonder if they're seriously changing the script to that's what his 'scholarship' was for.
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 04:08:20 AM »

http://nisamerica.com/games/danganronpa/

Main site's up.

Seems I'm not the only one who disdained Hifumi's design. All NISA could think of to call him was "Fatty".

No, seriously.

...I have to wonder if they're seriously changing the script to that's what his 'scholarship' was for.

well, for what it's worth:
http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=615540#p615540

So I don't think you need to worry about them drasically changing the script based on that. They seem pretty keen on providing an accurate translation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: