Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:27:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332823 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Torchwood/Dr. Who discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Torchwood/Dr. Who discussion  (Read 30114 times)
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2006, 06:54:44 PM »

First of all, please mark spoilers! I can see this thread becoming quite heavy with them, and a lot of people may not have caught this yet!

Secondly: Anyone watch it? For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a late-night spin-off of the newly revamped Dr. Who series. Think Angel to Buffy. It centres around Captain Jack Harkness, a character introduced in the previous series of Dr. Who leading a group called Torchwood (outside the juridsticion of all governments, police and military) who investigate extra terrestrial and temporal occurences and salvage any technology to prevent any one power gaining an unfair advantage.

One of the nicest things about the two new Dr. Who series' so far have been the inclusion of a recurrent phrase that was apparent (to the eagle-eyed) in every episode. Series one had "Bad Wolf," and series two had "Torchwood." Without giving too much away, Bad Wolf and Torchwood ended up linking the fates of Rose Tyler and Jack Harkness very nicely...

Code:
Bad Wolf resulted in Rose taking the Time Vortex into herself, allowing her to grant Jack immortality, whereas Torchwood lead her to her current position, trapped in an alternate reality. Much of the end-story of series two took place at Dårlig ulv stranden, or Bad Wolf Bay. And, of course, Harkness now works for Torchwood.

As for Torchwood itself? Going back to the Buffy/Angel analogy, it feels like everything the proposed BBC/Josh Weedon/Tony Head collaboration "Ripper" (a Buffy spin-off centering on the Rupert "Ripper" Giles character) could have been, with a touch of sci-fi. I enjoyed the first two episodes, and can see it progressing very nicely, thankyou! Can't wait to see how the rest of Torchwood react when they find out that everything they've been able to dig up on Cpt. Jack Harkness being a pilot from nearly 65 years ago is true!

Anyways, over to you guys! Opinions, views, comments, etc, if you please!

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 07:12:48 PM »

Oh shit, I didn't know Torchwood was a spinoff of Doctor Who.  I should give it a shot since the new Doctor Who is pretty cool.  Although I hate that random blonde woman there to give the series some SEX APPEAL.

Bollocks!

The only fucking sex appeal I want in Doctor Who is Dalek.

Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 07:19:09 PM »

Hmm, maybe you should give this a miss then, Los...

It's pretty explicit at some points. I know X-Files did a story about an alien possesing a human host that goes 'round shagging to feed off the sexual energy, but not quite this graphically, and not quite this, erm, bi-sexually, either! ;)

Quote of the show so far?

Sex-crazed alien possessed female to female TW member (having just fully snogged eachother's faces off!) : "It won't work! It has to be with a MAN!!!"

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 07:52:03 PM »

...Sounds like a 33p tabloid story, my friend.  :P

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 08:20:37 AM »

I saw it last night on BBC2, and thought it was better than I had expected.

It all looks very nice (they must have watched Angel :P), the characters are interesting, Jack being all mysterious and that other guys sexual ambiguity.

It seemed a bit like it was trying too hard to separate itself from Doctor Who by being OLO ADULT, with the swearing, spurting blood, and fairly explicit sex, but on the whole in succeeded in this area. Spurting blood is always good!

One thing that might need a bit of work, is the balance between the somewhat camp humour of Doctor Who, and the more adult style of Torchwood. It didn't seem quite right in the first two episodes.

But yeah, definitely better than I expected. I enjoyed it, and will continue to watch! Definitely worth seeing.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 08:42:43 AM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Oh shit, I didn't know Torchwood was a spinoff of Doctor Who.

I also forgot to mention, Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who. Pretty clever, huh? Since the release of the series, that's become pretty common knowledge, but as soon as it was mentioned in the Christmas episode, I cottoned on...

What can I say? My mum got the Countdown board game, so I was all anagrammed out!

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 06:22:41 PM »

Quote from: "Evil Gately"
Hmm, maybe you should give this a miss then, Los...

It's pretty explicit at some points. I know X-Files did a story about an alien possesing a human host that goes 'round shagging to feed off the sexual energy, but not quite this graphically, and not quite this, erm, bi-sexually, either! ;)

Quote of the show so far?

Sex-crazed alien possessed female to female TW member (having just fully snogged eachother's faces off!) : "It won't work! It has to be with a MAN!!!"

I really want to see this. Damn living in America and not having any sort of BBC access.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 12:47:59 AM »

well I saw both eps and I so far feel the series is pretty mediocre.  it felt like "look we're not a children show see cussing, see sex".  it could be sucessful but who knows.  Dr Who's(new series) first eps are still by far way more superior.

oh and daggerstrike.  B*t*oren* is your friend ^^

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 03:14:26 PM »

I don't know, the second series the new Doctor Who wasn't that good in my opinion. Russell T. Davies needs to realise that he's not Douglas Adams, and David Tennant isn't a patch on Christopher Eccleston IMO.

I'll say one thing though: The two Satan episodes beat anything the first series did by a MILE.

I had a stupid dream

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 04:21:12 PM »

I think the whole explicit-ness is to alienate all the kids who expect this to be more of the same. Apparently from the third episode onwards they actually start getting on with actual plotlines. Though I don't think I'll like watching it as much as Doctor Who, even if it does get better.

Russel T Davies admits that this is trying to be like Buffy/Angel, which ain't a bad thing. And the new Who did seem a tad Buffy-inspired, what with having some kind of emotion in it. Even the 2nd episode of this has exactly the same thing in it as Angel did. And The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit have Firefly-esque music in them.

And as for Doctor Who series(es), Christopher Eccleston is the far better actor - I think the Dalek episode is evidence of this - but I think David Tennant's Doctor is more likeable as a character as he's not quite so intimidating. And the first series' overall plot is a bit too obscure, I think. I find
Code:
stupid humans messing with technology a bit less confusing than Daleks controlling the human race through tv channels.
And who would have thought Cybermen could be vaguely scary?
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 06:31:29 PM »

I didn't find the Cybermen at all scary. They seemed camp to me, especially their voices. The Cybermen episodes were a huge, HUGE disappointment IMO.

I had a stupid dream

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 09:27:06 PM »

IMHO one of Dr. Who's merits is camp.   I mean honestly I could never enjoy the Daleks if they were updated.  Of course the Cybermen's look was updated, but it still felt campy.  And I liked the Cybermen eps.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 06:13:54 AM »

I agree with you, one of Doctor Who's charms is it's campiness. But when the big bad robots that are supposed to be scary sound that camp, it just ruined the effect for me.

I think the second series pushed the campiness too far. David Tennant was constantly pratting about, so for the few moments when he was serious, I just couldn't take him seriously.

I know it's sounds like I hated all of the second series, which isn't true. It had some great episodes, such as the Werewolf episode, and the almighty freakin' sex that was the two Satan episodes.

I'm hoping that with Rose gone for the third series, and a new relationship to build with the new companion, some of Tennant's twattery will subside.

I had a stupid dream

Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 06:43:18 AM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
I'm hoping that with Rose gone for the third series, and a new relationship to build with the new companion, some of Tennant's twattery will subside.

Wow, Degs! That's gotta be the best word I've read all week! :D

I'm looking forward to the new series of Docotr Who. I wasn't so keen on Eccleston's Doctor. I always kinda thought he was a little too intense. I've read that this series' recurring theme is rumoured to have been quite heavily hinted at already. Apparently, it's likely to be the Doctor portrayed as a 'lonely God,' who may not be quite as alone as he thinks.

I mean, if there were survivors on one side of the time war, then there's almost certainly survivors on the other side, too! I can already name one Time Lord that didn't take part in the war...

The Master, as far as we know, was sucked into the Eye of Harmony in the TV movie. He's escaped worse than that before! Russel T. Davies has been quoted as saying he wants to bring him back, so hopefully, this is the season to do it.

Also, if this 'Lonely God' theme is the one that will run through this series, I don't see the Doctor's relationship with his new companion being anywhere near as close as the one he had with Rose. In fact, I think he will end up pushing her away from him, and being very distant.

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 03:01:44 PM »

Yeah, I think everyone pretty much expects there to be at least one more Time Lord floating around out there :P And we know for sure that there's at least one dalek!

Torchwood in an hour! I've heard it's a good one this week, I'm looking forward to it.

I had a stupid dream

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: