Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 12:09:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318992 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Torchwood/Dr. Who discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print
Author Topic: Torchwood/Dr. Who discussion  (Read 28724 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2008, 02:22:28 AM »

So it appears that
Code:
the episode was shit. I don't know why I get my hopes up. More technobabble than an episode of ST Voyager.  

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2008, 12:29:11 AM »

Code:
Well the show likes to pull solutions out it's ass, but I think it was just fine in this case because there were consequences for doing it.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2008, 01:36:21 AM »

I actually thought the first 2/3 were pretty good and there were some nice character bits. Particularly
Code:
the bits with Davros calling the Doctor a hypocrite for not picking up a gun, but turning humans into weapons. And Sarah Jane seeing Davros. And the bit at the end with Wilf saying goodbye to the Doctor was good too.  It's just that RTD can't write a fucking decent two parter

Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2008, 10:57:25 PM »

Overall, I liked this episode, right up until the point
Code:
The Doctordonnas appeared on the scene.
We only ever needed one Catherine Tate in this show, and I'd argue strongly against even that anyway! But when
Code:
Tennant started doing bad impressions of her, and even worse, Tate started doing bad impressions of him the whole thing fell to pieces for me!

I get the distinct impression that RTD wanted to do a lot more with the Donna Noble character, but Tate was just far too irritating and had to go.

I'm very, very glad that Mickey and Martha will be making more appearances soon! I thought Martha fitted well with Torchwood, and I can see Mickey fitting in there, too.

But what's this I hear about TW only being a 5-part mini-series next year? Boo! Almost as bad as only having 4 episodes of DW in the next 18 months!!

Oh, and who's good at anagrams? Osterhagen Key, indeed!

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2008, 11:59:10 PM »

That was my feeling as well. The first 2/3 were actually pretty good and then it all fell to shit.

I'm not sure if Torchwood as a five parter is confirmed or not. I've heard a lot about it being one five part story, which could be interesting. Might even be enough to get me to watch it.

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2008, 03:31:04 AM »

I thought the ending for this season was kinda too perfect, not in a good way.  Hopefully Moffat will improve this season season 5 and onwards.  As for Torchwood, even though season 2 did get better, it still need improvement.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2008, 05:19:04 PM »

I think this has been the only good finale in New Who, actually. It was still way-over-the-top -
Code:
the TARDIS-giving-the-Earth-a-lift-home scene especially, but they didn't need /all/ the companions (that's as bad as Daleks vs. Cybermen)
- but it wasn't erm.... rubbish like the others. But seriously
Code:
somebody stop changing their mind about the Time War! First one Dalek and The Doctor survived, then the Dalek Emperor survived and rebuilt the Daleks, then the Skaro Daleks survived in the Void and released the Daleks from the Genesis Ark, then they Temporal Shifted and made human daleks (rofl), then Dalek Caan temporal shifted to the Time War and saved Davros, who made an army of real daleks 100,000 years before the Dalek Emperor.

But why save Davros and not kill the Doctor so the daleks win the war as well?
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2008, 03:13:24 AM »

In answer to your question, ZGM...

Umm, err... Timey-wimey stuff?

Seriously, though, any TV series about time travel has the inherent problem that if a person decides to prevent an event by altering an established timeline, then the original impetus to change the timeline is removed, and therefore there is no reason for the steps to be made in the first place, resulting in a paradox...

My head hurts!

:S

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2008, 07:29:52 AM »

Doctor Who has more paradoxes in every episode, but they keep changing the Time War so the Daleks keep surviving in every series, so that one's worse.

By the way, EG, what is Osterhagen Key an anagram of?
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2008, 09:53:35 AM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
what is Osterhagen Key an anagram of?

Earth's Gone.

Also, Storage Hen. I don't think that's what they were going for though. http://wordsmith.org/anagram/ is fun :P

Edit-Garnet shoe!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2008, 04:24:56 PM »

Did anyone else besides me watch the Sarah Jane adventures.

Definitely based at kids, yet hugely better than Torchwood.

Anyway, BIG spoiler for Season 2.

Code:
The returning character is Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, played by Nicholas Courtney. The character - who for much of the classic series was the commanding officer of the UK branch of UNIT, and one of the Doctor's closest allies - first appeared in 1968 opposite the Second Doctor, and went on to appear in stories with the Third, Fourth, Fifth and Seventh.

Courtney has also played the Brigadier opposite the Sixth and Eighth Doctors in officially-licensed audio dramas from Big Finish Productions.

The same Sarah Jane Adventures story will also apparently see the return of the Sontarans, seen in several classic series stories and more recently in series four of Doctor Who. Samantha Bond is also believed to be returning as Mrs Wormwood, the character she played in the pilot episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures.

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2008, 09:55:29 AM »

Quote from: "Raze"
Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
what is Osterhagen Key an anagram of?

Earth's Gone.
Oh yeah, that makes sense! Don't tell me that's gonna be next series' arc-word.... :(

Talking of anagrams, doesn't River Song, archaeologist have all the letters of The Rani lives? Or is that a red herring because Mister Saxon being an anagram of Master No. Six wasn't intentional?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2008, 04:17:44 PM »

All seven living doctors are rumoured to be doing the next Children In Need Special.

The actors are getting together for the BBC charity Children in Need in a programme to be broadcast on November 14.

An insider at the BBC said: "It's a pretty ambitious idea and it's still being finalised. Everything is being kept under wraps but Doctor Who fans are in for a big treat."

The first of the 10 actors to take the role was William Hartnell in 1963, followed three years later by Patrick Troughton and then by Jon Pertwee but all three have since died.

The seven survivors include Tom Baker, now best known as the voice of the comedy series Little Britain, who played the role for seven years from 1974.

He was followed by Peter Davidson [sic] from 1981 to 1984, whose daughter Georgia Moffett has also featured in the programme and who is now dating the current doctor, David Tennant.

The others are Colin Baker, from 1984 to 1986, Sylvester McCoy who had two stints from 1987 to 1989 and re-appeared in the role in 1996, Paul McGann, who took over the role in 1996 and Christopher Eccleston who reprised the series in 2005.

If true.....holy crap.

Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »

Indeed, should be a bit of a giggle. Seeing the reruns of Baker's years on UKTV Drama when I get in from work in the mornings has shown me just how much Tennant based his incarnation on Mr. B's!

Good news regarding the future, too. Tennant now (reportedly) signing on for the 2010 series, at least. I get the feeling that it could well be his last, though.

Oh, and Patrick Stewart as the Meddling Monk in one of the specials? Yes, please! Let's have a bit of a Time Lord reunion, with The Master, The Doctor, The Monk and The Rani! :D

edit

From the Doctor Who website, this may kinda imply that all we're gonna get this year from Children in Need is the first 2mins of the Xmas special, The Next Doctor:

This year's Children in Need Telethon is to feature an exclusive preview of the forthcoming Doctor Who Christmas Special.

The clip, from the Christmas Special entitled The Next Doctor, will show the first two minutes of a brand new episode for the Time Lord, played by David Tennant.

This never seen before footage, is a worldwide exclusive, and will keep fans all over the globe wondering what's in store for the Doctor's next adventure.

Starring David Tennant and David Morrissey, the clip from The Next Doctor will be broadcast as part of the BBC Children in Need show on 14 November, BBC One from 7pm.

Hmm, Morrissey looks pretty cool as "The Doctor," and as a 28-yr-old Brit, my childhood Christmas' were shaped by things programs like "The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe," "The Box of Delights," "The Snow Queen," so a snowy, turn-of-the century Christmas tale will sit well with me!

edit II

So, Mr. T.'s offski, then? As if that's a surprise! I get the impression this all may have been so that RTD has some influence on the actor protraying the Doctor after he leaves as well as who's in charge... My money's on Russell Tovey.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:33:04 AM by Evil Gately » Logged

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2008, 05:12:48 PM »

Tennant is confirmed as leaving at the end of the specials.

Makes me wonder if Patrick Stewart will end up killing him.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: